Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I mentioned and discussed this earlier, but Ryan O'Reilly's season was just unbelievable. Historic.

He took ONE penalty for two minutes ALL year. Some have mentioned that maybe this shows that he plays a soft game, but a stat that I didn't realize until tonight completely disproves that and shows the opposite: he led the NHL with 83 takeaways.

He had ONE (hardly) penalty and led the league in takeaways. Holy ######.

Yeah, we "talked" briefly about that in another thread (I believe) last week (or so). Off of the top of my head, he led the league in takeaways the two years before the lockout-shortened season, too, and was on pace to do so that year, but didn't play enough games. He was also very low in giveaways and was third behind Hossa and someone else (can't remember who) in takeaway-giveaway differential.

I'm willing to wheel you and PA around the Buffalo Zoo sometime. We can go to the Petting Zoo where they station the young interns. I don't think you can pet the interns, but if terminal, I'm willing to test that defense.....

An intern petting zoo. I bet you that section would draw more than the monkey house.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Jason Spezza trade talk heating up. OTT in conversation with 4 teams, three in the West and one in the East.

@CraigCustance

Asking price on Evander Kane is high. Hard to win any deal when you're trading a 22-year-old capable of scoring 40 goals on a good team.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@lakingsinsider: Kings, Gaborik agree on a seven-year contract extension.

7 years? My goodness that's absurd he's 32

Jeez, I didn't realize he was 32. I was all set to praise this deal :lol:

As with the Callahan deal, the term is the problem here. They're basically writing off the last 3 years to get a lower cap hit now. Makes sense since this is their window, but between him and Richards they may have $10 million in "dead" space on the near future. Even with an increasing cap that's not ideal.

Cuba Gooding Jr. is just a black Pierre McGuire.

Speaking of Cuba Gooding Jr.

Why does Mike Schopp have to pronounce names as no person on earth has ever pronounced them. Seriously, first we had Zulser, and now we have Kooba, what the ###### is that!!??!!

Jeez, I didn't realize he was 32. I was all set to praise this deal :lol:

As with the Callahan deal, the term is the problem here. They're basically writing off the last 3 years to get a lower cap hit now. Makes sense since this is their window, but between him and Richards they may have $10 million in "dead" space on the near future. Even with an increasing cap that's not ideal.

Which, changing subjects ever so slightly, is why I really can't see Ehrhoff getting traded unless it's a 'knock your socks off' deal or unless he ends up a 'locker room cancer' which I find even less likely.

The risk of a $10MM cap hit right when they should be reaping the rewards of suffering just doesn't make sense IMHO.

LA just went stupid. Full Stupid.

I actually don't think it is too bad. I imagine the cap will average around 75 million for those contract years.

Which puts Gaborik about 1 million over the average player salary for the term per year.

Not too bad when you consider the maximum player salary for that time period may average out to 15 million per season.

Edited by X. Benedict

I actually don't think it is too bad. I imagine the cap will average around 75 million for those contract years.

Which puts Gaborik about 1 million over the average player salary for the term per year.

Not too bad when you consider the maximum player salary for that time period may average out to 15 million per season.

You have to believe that the last four years and his injuries are behind him. His playoff heroics got him a payday, but will his body hold up?

I say he is 32 and that is a healthy gamble considering his injury history of late.

Speaking of Cuba Gooding Jr.

Why does Mike Schopp have to pronounce names as no person on earth has ever pronounced them. Seriously, first we had Zulser, and now we have Kooba, what the ###### is that!!??!!

Actually his name has been pronounced that way by others. Google it.. you might be amazed at the history on it. Although in videos I've seen of him pronouncing his own name he says Cuba. That said, he's named after the country and if you pronounce it in Spanish it is Kooba. So.. there you go.

Actually his name has been pronounced that way by others. Google it.. you might be amazed at the history on it. Although in videos I've seen of him pronouncing his own name he says Cuba. That said, he's named after the country and if you pronounce it in Spanish it is Kooba. So.. there you go.

Sadly, I don't think anyone one that show (minus producers) have any idea that Cuba is pronounced Kooba en Espanol.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Many agents believe cap could be as high as $75M for 2015-16, continue to escalate rapidly. Double digit AAV for superstars may be new norm.

Wishful thinking, or is there a legit reason to believe league-wide revenue will escalate rapidly? The Sportsnet deal is driving the current escalation, does it escalate significantly year over year? My understanding was that it didn't.

Would be interesting to see if they're anticipating Comcast's next deal or a European TV deal to drive this revenue increase , if it's something else, or if it's simply extrapolating the last decade's growth.

If the movie trailer voiceover guy for the past 20 years says Cuba, then it's Cuba! That wasn't the point though. The point was that Schopp seems to go out of his way to pronounce things differently. Bulldog called him on it yesterday saying he hasn't ever heard anyone say Kooba until Schopp did just then.

It hits the ear wrong if it isn't followed by another slew of Spanish words.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.