Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I am so excited for the deep hatred and fiery competition that comes from the long and heated Chicago v. Washington rivalry. Many other teams around the league and even in other sports wish they had such a storied and historic rivalry. It even eclipses Boston v NY in terms of its passion.

F##k you Gary Bettman, f##k you.

Edited by LGR4GM

The other outdoor game is rumored to be San Jose vs whoever. There is only supposedly two games this year, but there are already rumors about many games two years from now. I would limit it to 2-3 a year. Otherwise it's not unique anymore.

I'm annoyed about Chicago, too. I would say that they couldn't do Pittsburgh because they've been in an outdoor game recently, but so has Chicago (PIT and CHI played each other in one last season).

I don't think they're targeting team rivalries anymore as much as decent matchup that from cities that may draw ratings. I think Minnesota and Colorado should get outdoor games very soon. Colorado and Anaheim would be fun. Minnesota could play old west rival Detroit.

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't think they're targeting team rivalries anymore as much as decent matchup that from cities that may draw ratings. I think Minnesota and Colorado should get outdoor games very soon. Colorado and Anaheim would be fun. Minnesota could play old west rival Detroit.

There you are: ratings. I think part of the issue is probably the cost of putting the event on and they want it offset, if not completely covered, by sponsor money. So, the "bigger" the game, and the larger the market, the higher the cost of sponsorship. Follow the money...

The NHL Shift: News and notes, 6/20/2014

Islanders Update

In the five weeks since The Shift reported that the sale of the New York Islanders to Andrew Barroway is in the hands of Charles Wang, the Islanders’ current owner, Wang has not moved to complete a deal. However, specifics of the potential agreement have been confirmed with sources close to the seller, the buyer and the NHL:

• Barroway is seeking to become the majority owner and purchase 80 percent of the team. “He wants decision-making authority and the ability to bring in his own people,” said a source.

• The agreed-upon value of the club is around $400 million.

So no Richards?

Don't want him, but I'm sure Timmy kicked the tires as part of his salary dump scheme.

For the Rangers, there no incentive. It's only money.

Richards, Lecavalier, Thornton, Marleau, the Canucks would love to dump the Sedins if they could.

There sure is a helluvalot of evidence that teams signing an older guy to a big deal are going to regret it.

I wonder how this will effect the cash being tossed at guys like Vanek.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.