Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Sounds like Willie Desjardins will be Vancouver's next coach as long as nothing falls apart. Reports out there that Pittsburgh offered both Peters and Desjardins and neither took the job. Wonder why that may be.

I assume they go with Ulf Samuelsson.

@Proteautype

Willie Desjardins choosing to coach the Canucks over the Penguins is stunning. Maybe Sidney Crosby can be their player-coach next year.

I think a lot has to do with the roster being serious flawed with little cap space to improve and no farm system to speak of, all combined with expectations to win now. Tough spot for a coach.

I think a lot has to do with the roster being serious flawed with little cap space to improve and no farm system to speak of, all combined with expectations to win now. Tough spot for a coach.

Good take. The Canucks are worse in all those categories, but at least the fans expect them to be bad next year.

Agreed. Better situation in Van with Benning just coming on board and them knowing it's time to remake the roster after a pretty successful run.

@NicholsOnHockey

Toronto Star article suggests Toews, Kane "are expected to sign for $12 million a season." #Blackhawks http://www.nicholson...nichols-notes …

Just a pet peeve, but please link to the original: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/06/20/trades_free_agency_draft_dominate_nhl_landscape.html

As for that, Chicago will suffer for it. Let's see if it happens.

Link?

It was on a Vancouver radio station, apparently. Saw it being discussed elsewhere. A Pitt radio station said the offer was three years with possibly no assistant coach control.

Edited by Tankalicious

Has the house-cleaning in Pittsburgh and its recent failures soured some people on the organization?

Is there a fractured room, or an internal power-struggle going on?

Where is Joe Battista?

The Pittsburgh job comes with the pressure of winning immediately or else you're fired. That won't happen in Vancouver. I can't imagine many first time nhl coaches wanted to step into that pressure cooker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.