Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I trust (and really like) Mirtle as well, although subsequent intell indicates that Hartnell was forced out. Mirtle might've been getting the team spin in advance of the agent's spin. It does sound like Hextall wanted more cap flexibility and a different direction.

Philly could be a legit bottom 5 tire fire next year.

I have seen "stuff" (what, I don't remember) indicating that Hartnell was unhappy with Hex's proposed role for him on the team.

Whatever. I can only hope that more former goaltenders become GMs as long as it isn't here.

I mentioned and discussed this earlier, but Ryan O'Reilly's season was just unbelievable. Historic.

He took ONE penalty for two minutes ALL year. Some have mentioned that maybe this shows that he plays a soft game, but a stat that I didn't realize until tonight completely disproves that and shows the opposite: he led the NHL with 83 takeaways.

He had ONE (hardly) penalty and led the league in takeaways. Holy ######.

I keep wondering, if Hextall in Philly is so desperate to clear cap space, I wonder if Murray would take the Pronger contract for Philly's #17.

Is it possible? Weird idea, but I'm just wondering.

A $15 million dollar dead weight contract for the #17 pick? A non-playing Pronger could be the best mentor the young defense could have.

I keep wondering, if Hextall in Philly is so desperate to clear cap space, I wonder if Murray would take the Pronger contract for Philly's #17.

A $15 million dollar dead weight contract for the #17 pick? A non-playing Pronger could be the best mentor the young defense could have.

Hell....dress him as a 7th and let him sit on the bench and wave to the fans.....

This is some outside the box thinking. I like it.

They've already jumped off the bridge on just letting Pronger sit on LTIR until he's done. He doesn't count on the cap so they'll just keep chugging.

I can only hope that more former goaltenders become GMs as long as it isn't here.

:w00t:

mind-blown.gif

They've already jumped off the bridge on just letting Pronger sit on LTIR until he's done. He doesn't count on the cap so they'll just keep chugging.

:huh:

Edit: Okay - I get it.

http://offsidesports...ct-one-for.html

Even so, might the Flyers not want the improved cash flow position?

Edit 2: Vogl made the same suggestion. I like that Jon's now in for Bucky.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/basement-is-no-bargain-for-sabres-20140621

Edited by That Aud Smell

He does count against the cap because of the 35+ rule on cap circumvention. At least that was my understanding. I could have it wrong.

:w00t:

mind-blown.gif

:huh:

Edit: Okay - I get it.

http://offsidesports...ct-one-for.html

Even so, might the Flyers not want the improved cash flow position?

Edit 2: Vogl made the same suggestion. I like that Jon's now in for Bucky.

http://www.buffalone...sabres-20140621

Thanks! I should read the Buffalo media more. :lol:

He does count against the cap because of the 35+ rule on cap circumvention. At least that was my understanding. I could have it wrong.

Thanks! I should read the Buffalo media more. :lol:

You are. LITR doesn't count against the cup regardless of players age. The over 35 rule meant that even if he retired (which was clearly the plan) his cap hit would count. So now they have him parked on LITR and when his contract ends he 'retires' - thus never having to swallow the 5 million hit

You are. LITR doesn't count against the cup regardless of players age. The over 35 rule meant that even if he retired (which was clearly the plan) his cap hit would count. So now they have him parked on LITR and when his contract ends he 'retires' - thus never having to swallow the 5 million hit

In my best Roseanna Roseannadanna, "Nevermind." :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. There was a time I would have known this stuff cold.

Edited by X. Benedict

In my best Roseanna Roseannadanna, "Nevermind." :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. There was a time I would have known this stuff cold.

I'm willing to wheel you and PA around the Buffalo Zoo sometime. We can go to the Petting Zoo where they station the young interns. I don't think you can pet the interns, but if terminal, I'm willing to test that defense.....

Understandable, X. I'm grateful to those around here who know the stuff cold. I certainly don't.

FWIW, I think the way the CBA treats LTIR is that the LTIR player still counts toward the cap, but the team is nonetheless permitted a waiver of sorts to exceed the cap in the amount of the LTIR player's cap hit.

There must be some significance to that distinction; I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it has something to do with an issue like revenue sharing?

How often does he have to take a physical and/or baseline test to remain on LTIR? It should at least be a requirement that he is trying to get back into the game.

Can't pay Toews/Kane huge $$ contracts and keep all of your good players too:

@EyeOnHockey

NHL rumors: Is Patrick Sharp 'available' from Blackhawks? http://cbsprt.co/1o0o4ys

This is an article about them signing contract extensions together in Chicago Tribute.

I found this quote from Toews interesting

"We've been kind of going hand-in-hand almost our entire careers," Toews said in Las Vegas, site of Tuesday night's NHL Awards where he is a Selke Trophy nominee. "When we came in as rookies we've just been included in the same discussion for a lot of things — namely our second contract and probably this time again. The chances of that are good. But at the end of the day (Kane) has got his own needs and his own family, and you have to respect that as well."

Maybe the .0001% chance of him leaving Chicago has increased to .0005%?

http://www.chicagotr...0,1155914.story

Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.