Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

On the Sabres Thornton would be about as useful as a ###### flavored lolly pop.

I'll give $0.05 towards his bus fare to the ECHL. If we determine that we need a goon next year, I'd rather have Scott around the impressionable young minds, not a guy who committed assault on a top 2 dman trying to pretend that the "code" meant he had to drop the gloves with him.

If penalties were actually called in this league guys like Thornton and Scott wouldn't ever see a shift.

I'll give $0.05 towards his bus fare to the ECHL. If we determine that we need a goon next year, I'd rather have Scott around the impressionable young minds, not a guy who committed assault on a top 2 dman trying to pretend that the "code" meant he had to drop the gloves with him.

If penalties were actually called in this league guys like Thornton and Scott wouldn't ever see a shift.

I'm with you up until this. Thornton has been a marked man ever since the suspension you mentioned (while he previously enjoyed the Boston Lenience). John Scott gets a penalty for looking at guys too hard.

I'm with you up until this. Thornton has been a marked man ever since the suspension you mentioned (while he previously enjoyed the Boston Lenience). John Scott gets a penalty for looking at guys too hard.

My point is only that if interference and clutching and grabbing were actually called, slow footed guys like Scott and Thornton wouldn't see the light of day.

My point is only that if interference and clutching and grabbing were actually called, slow footed guys like Scott and Thornton wouldn't see the light of day.

Luckily for them, they're not always called. If hockey was played with soccer nets then guys like Lundvist and Quick wouldn't see the light of day either.

Wow! Who needs a character guy with a Stanley Cup who averaged more goals than Scott/Kaleta/McCormick/Lieno combined?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Thornton had one year where he had 10 goals, which matches Kaleta's career year. And McCormick had 8 as his high. It's a contest of which plug had the most puck luck in their very best year. And Leino was actually an NHL player at one point. Apples and oranges.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Thornton had one year where he had 10 goals, which matches Kaleta's career year. And McCormick had 8 as his high. It's a contest of which plug had the most puck luck in their very best year. And Leino was actually an NHL player at one point. Apples and oranges.

Throw out Lieno and he blows away the other 3 the past 3 years.....

He's not a goon. He's a guy who played more playoff games the past 4 years THAN THE ENTIRE SABRES ROSTER!!!!!

Throw out Lieno and he blows away the other 3 the past 3 years.....

He's not a goon. He's a guy who played more playoff games the past 4 years THAN THE ENTIRE SABRES ROSTER!!!!!

5,3, and 5 goals in the past 3 years. And he was a passenger on a good team. Would you have made the same argument for Rob Ray in the late 90's? And he was suspended for slewfooting and knocking out a legit NHL player who wouldn't fight him after a clean hit. If that doesn't define a goon, I don't know what does.

If we are going to add anyone.....add a legit NHL player who is towards the very end of their career to impart wisdom. Bringing on a sideshow is counterproductive. Think like a 35 year old Doug Weight.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

Now, I'm no Kings fan, but this headline/article is a great example of how LA hockey gets muted in national coverage.

"Kings center Kopitar proves to be elite player"

http://www.nhl.com/i...39&cmpid=nhl-fb

Just now? Now he proves himself to be an elite player? After winning two cups? That's what it takes to be recognized by the league beat writers?

He was taken 11th overall. He put up 60 points his rookie year, back in 2006-2007. His sophomore year he netted 32 goals and 77 points. He just finished up his eighth season, over which his career regular season average is 74 points. He doesn't fail to bring it in the playoffs either. 60 points in 70 playoff games, going a full point per game pace in the Kings' Cup years.

When I caught my first Kings game in 2010, I was like "who the ###### is this guy and why have I never heard his name before??" Four years later, and eight years into his career, I guess the NHL staff writers finally decided to let the cat out of the bag. Next up on NHL.com: Lou Lamoriello establishes himself in the NHL, Hawks Coach Quenneville seen as 'pretty good'

That's a a stretch - I clearly see him as "alright".

I'm sorry, if you think Scott and Thornton are similar players you're not paying attention. A contending team (or a team that believes they can contend) looking to add a little grit to their fourth line will pick Thornton up.

I'm sorry, if you think Scott and Thornton are similar players you're not paying attention. A contending team (or a team that believes they can contend) looking to add a little grit to their fourth line will pick Thornton up.

The Rangers added Scott a couple years back when they finished first in the East.

@RossCreekNation: FLA, CBJ, NSH, NYI all apparently on Jason Spezza's no-trade list, per Dreger.

Nashville being on there is big. They were one of the top teams rumored.

There was also a report that he had all Canadian teams other than Toronto and Montreal on there. So if you assume that's true and Buffalo is on there then:

FLA, CBJ, NYI, NSH, BUF, VAN, CAL, WPG would be eight of the ten.

Edited by Tankalicious

@RossCreekNation: FLA, CBJ, NSH, NYI all apparently on Jason Spezza's no-trade list, per Dreger.

Nashville being on there is big. They were one of the top teams rumored.

There was also a report that he had all Canadian teams other than Toronto and Montreal on there. So if you assume that's true and Buffalo is on there then:

FLA, CBJ, NYI, NSH, BUF, VAN, CAL, WPG would be eight of the ten.

Edmonton as well? 9/10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.