Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Wasn't an option for him. His boss was on record stating that any offer would be matched. Eulers probably make an offer to him w/out that caviot, but it also is probably $1MM less per year. And DR would have had a decision to make.

1. You? You, Taro? Dammit, it's all gone to hell, now.

2. Right on with the "boss...on record." I do remember posters here stating that the four picks would have been the right move. I don't know on which side I was in that debate, but I do remember thinking that it didn't matter, because, from a PR standpoint, the Sabres absolutely had to retain him. In retro, the four picks (which would not necessarily have been all top-fives, as some have speculated) may well have been the better move.

Ugly stuff going on in Boston tonight. Orpik makes a clean hit, Thornton doesn't like it, slew foots Orpik after play is stopped and then knocks him out cold while he's laying on the ice, gloves still on.

I'll try and find video. It's ugly.

https://vine.co/v/hQmwr2aI5BX

Yep. John Scott is a thug.

1. You? You, Taro? Dammit, it's all gone to hell, now.

2. Right on with the "boss...on record." I do remember posters here stating that the four picks would have been the right move. I don't know on which side I was in that debate, but I do remember thinking that it didn't matter, because, from a PR standpoint, the Sabres absolutely had to retain him. In retro, the four picks (which would not necessarily have been all top-fives, as some have speculated) may well have been the better move.

:doh:

Sorry, campground Christmas party today. :beer:

PJ Stock blaming Orpik, Neal and the instigator rule.

Big surprise.

Stock: It would have been all over if there would have been a fight.

It (Thornton's blow) was just a minor punch.

No mention of the fact that Orpik's hit was clean.

Or any attention paid to the slew foot, or the fact he attacked him from behind.

The Bruins are just trying to play good hard hockey.

It's the Sabres fault for not defending Miller.

Edited by dudacek

PJ Stock blaming Orpik, Neal and the instigator rule.

Big surprise.

Yeah I caught that. I agree the James Neal knee on Marchand(as much as I hate him) was bad. I would think the league has to look at that as well being it was a classic head shot where the head was targeted and the primary .

I was going to watch one of the football games after the Sabres, but I think I might watch that game.

Charra picked up a double minor for butt ending Kunitz, both Lucic and Engullend got majors at the same time for boarding each other (and I have no idea how that call could have been made), Marchand picked up a double minor for high sticking Kunitz (he must have a bullseye on him), and Despres picked up a headbutt on Krejci, and 2 minutes later Iginla picked up a headbutt on Despres.

Sounds like it'll be entertaining. Plus, Marchand got kneed in the head, and that makes me smile.

Edited by Campy

What's with the inordinate amount of players taken off on stretchers this year? Over-cautious? Attempt to dramatize a hit if it goes to league for review? New regulations? Are players really getting hurt more seriously now than in the past? It used to be when you heard a player was taken off on a stretcher that it was something serious. A lot of these guys are released and make the flight home with the team.

That right there is assault. Thornton deserves a long break from hockey. It even fits all the criteria the NHL has for their big suspensions.

That's what I thought while watching it. At what point is a hockey "altercation" actually a felony? This one crossed the line to me for some reason.

Thornton has never been suspended before. Therefore, there is no reason to suspend him this time.

Sincerely,

The NHL

Every so often a bruin does something the the league can't ignore (see: Marchand, Brad). This is one of those cases. Fortunately Thornton is a nobody scrub so they can throw the book at him while Jacobs looks the other way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.