Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

It's funny how some of you make the comparison of John Scott being on par with Scott Thornton for "going after Kessel". If you watch the video carefully, it was KESSEL who went after Scott. LOOK AT THE VIDEO Kessel punches Scott before the faceoff is finished and Scott goes after him. Not to mention Toronto put out their star line when Buffalo's

4th line was already out. John Scott is NOT a 'dirty' player, and to call him a dirty player in the same light as Thornton is laughable. You know if Gregory Campbell didn't play for the Bruins we'd all be looking at felony assault charges. Yeah John Scott is a dirty player.

That's pretty serious if true. Link?

If I knew how to link this stuff I would. Its an article in Yahoo sports by Nicholas J. Cotsonicka. I never watched the game only the highlights so I don't know if Thornton was put on the ice every time Orpik went out but the way this article is written it implies that he was.

The Neal and Scott incidents are very good comparisons.

How can you make a case that Neal deserves less than Scott?

This I think is a very valid point. In fact I would argue that the Scott hit was far less egregious. Kneeing a guy in the head isn't even remotely a hockey play. So the idea that Neal somehow gets less games than Scott is insane, especially considering his history.

If I knew how to link this stuff I would. Its an article in Yahoo sports by Nicholas J. Cotsonicka. I never watched the game only the highlights so I don't know if Thornton was put on the ice every time Orpik went out but the way this article is written it implies that he was.

Here is the linky- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/shawn-thornton-s-hit-on-brooks-orpik-is-the-kind-of-garbage-the-nhl-needs-to-clean-up---quick-144044508-nhl.html

It's funny how some of you make the comparison of John Scott being on par with Scott Thornton for "going after Kessel". If you watch the video carefully, it was KESSEL who went after Scott. LOOK AT THE VIDEO Kessel punches Scott before the faceoff is finished and Scott goes after him. Not to mention Toronto put out their star line when Buffalo's

4th line was already out. John Scott is NOT a 'dirty' player, and to call him a dirty player in the same light as Thornton is laughable. You know if Gregory Campbell didn't play for the Bruins we'd all be looking at felony assault charges. Yeah John Scott is a dirty player.

I believe this post is directed at one poster rather than some posters

I would claim him right now.

PMB is 29 years old now. He's another meh player who the Wild no longer wanted:

@KatieStrangESPN

#Isles have placed Pierre-Marc Bouchard on waivers in what I assume to be a roster move to make room for Ryan Strome to be recalled

Thornton is FOS!:

http://youtu.be/9re_6HqbWko

PMB is 29 years old now. He's another meh player who the Wild no longer wanted:

@KatieStrangESPN

#Isles have placed Pierre-Marc Bouchard on waivers in what I assume to be a roster move to make room for Ryan Strome to be recalled

Strome leads the AHL in scoring. He is beyond ready for a regular role in the NHL. BTW - aren't the Isles the worst team in hockey since acquiring Vanek?

any news on possible suspensions and/or fines yet today?

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL discipline docket: James Neal phone hearing today; Dion Phaneuf phone hearing Tuesday; Shawn Thornton in person hearing TBD.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard waived.

no idea who the guy is, other than the fact that he plays center, was a top 10 pick, and has scored a bunch of points in the nhl.

https://twitter.com/...092141499908096

I would claim him right now.

How many contracts do we have on the books? That is really the question. Also is he a center or a rw? We could honestly use either but I haven't watched him play and would hope that PLF and TN have. If he can help then grab him, if not, who cares.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL discipline docket: James Neal phone hearing today; Dion Phaneuf phone hearing Tuesday; Shawn Thornton in person hearing TBD.

How many contracts do we have on the books? That is really the question. Also is he a center or a rw? We could honestly use either but I haven't watched him play and would hope that PLF and TN have. If he can help then grab him, if not, who cares.

And he's only under contract till the end of the season, so it's not like you're stuck with him if he sucks.

i have no fondness for the guy, but i don't doubt his sincerity in that moment.

He can shove his sincerity up his ass.

that is tough, but fair.

and i mean that: we can accept that he sincerely felt terrible for what happened after the dust settled, but can also say he's a stupid fooking worthelss POS for doing it in the first instance.

The latter part overruling the former with great force. Sincerity doesn't excuse stupidity.

i have no fondness for the guy, but i don't doubt his sincerity in that moment.

I'm talking about him speaking of his intentions. Not directed at you, but exactly WTF were his "intentions" in slew footing a guy to the ice and then punching him in the head with his gloves on? Like I said, he's FOS and deserves a hefty Torres like suspension.

The latter part overruling the former with great force. Sincerity doesn't excuse stupidity.

people are enormously complex creatures. to my mind, the two states of being can co-exist within the same person.

I'm talking about him speaking of his intentions. Not directed at you, but exactly WTF were his "intentions" in slew footing a guy to the ice and then punching him in the head with his gloves on? Like I said, he's FOS and deserves a hefty Torres like suspension.

i think his intentions were to get a piece of orpik - spin him around, drop the gloves, and a land a few blows in defense of thornton's highly skilled teammate who got knocked silly by a (clean) hit from orpik at the start of the game. (we can discuss separately how stupid it is that players like orpik "need" to "answer" for clean hits.) thornton then skated into the scrum full of adrenaline and acted on his intentions in a reckless and dangerous manner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.