Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

If NBC owned a third of the Red Wings, yes. There'd be little incentive to show other games, talk about other teams, and report critically about the team.

Like, say, Snider with Comcast and the Flyers? That's what LGR was hinting at. With all these crazy corporations they have set up, it is tough to tell exactly who owns what.

The islanders are now the second worst team in hockey. WOW. poor vanek :P. We may actually see them defer, or end up with the top two picks in the draft which would be nuts

They HAVE to defer to 2015. How insane would they have to be to just give away a top 5 pick? Of course, if they suck again next year, this means they're losing their shot at McDavid and Eichel (and even Dylan Strome). If the McDavid/Eichel hype is at a fever pitch by this summer, I won't how tempted they'll be to let us have a pick in the 5-10 range. Especially if they think they're firing everyone and not turning things around very soon.

They HAVE to defer to 2015. How insane would they have to be to just give away a top 5 pick? Of course, if they suck again next year, this means they're losing their shot at McDavid and Eichel (and even Dylan Strome). If the McDavid/Eichel hype is at a fever pitch by this summer, I won't how tempted they'll be to let us have a pick in the 5-10 range. Especially if they think they're firing everyone and not turning things around very soon.

We need to wait and see what they get in return for Vanek first (or any other trade for that matter). If they wind up getting back any first round picks, that will have a major impact on their decision.

We need to wait and see what they get in return for Vanek first (or any other trade for that matter). If they wind up getting back any first round picks, that will have a major impact on their decision.

If they get a first in another trade do you think it's more likely they defer I take it?

I think the only reason that clause was in there was to protect Snow if the Isles "flukily" won the lottery this year.

I don't think the thought of them "earning" a spot this high in the draft was ever on his radar. He thought they were a team on the rise.

I doubt the fact they could this bad this year AND next - a real possibility - was ever a consideration.

He never would have traded for Vanek if it was.

It will be very interesting to see what they do.

They are unlikely to get a lottery pick for Vanek.

Unless some bottom level team believes they will sign Vanek in the off-season they are not about to trade for him as a rental. The only takers are playoff teams and thus out of the lottery.

They are unlikely to get a lottery pick for Vanek.

Unless some bottom level team believes they will sign Vanek in the off-season they are not about to trade for him as a rental. The only takers are playoff teams and thus out of the lottery.

Well, they could a fringe team trying to make sure they get in, so in theory you could get a very low chance (0.5 - 1.5% for the best four teams that miss the playoffs) lottery pick.

Aside from the hockey implications, letting the Sabres take the 2014 pick is the Islanders telling their fans that, yes, they're going to suck in 2014-2015 as well. And not just "suck", suck so much that they think they have a legit shot at drafting first overall. (see also: Suffering)

On the other hand, maybe they don't care until they move to Brooklyn in 2015. Drafting McDavid/Eichel and then starting fresh in Brooklyn might appeal to them.

Aside from the hockey implications, letting the Sabres take the 2014 pick is the Islanders telling their fans that, yes, they're going to suck in 2014-2015 as well. And not just "suck", suck so much that they think they have a legit shot at drafting first overall. (see also: Suffering™)

On the other hand, maybe they don't care until they move to Brooklyn in 2015. Drafting McDavid/Eichel and then starting fresh in Brooklyn might appeal to them.

I wouldn't go that far. It could be as simple as they think next year's draft is deeper and would rather hold on to that pick instead. And I'm not quite sure why they need to worry about what message they're sending to their fans right now since they're about to relocate to Brooklyn anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. It could be as simple as they think next year's draft is deeper and would rather hold on to that pick instead. And I'm not quite sure why they need to worry about what message they're sending to their fans right now since they're about to relocate to Brooklyn anyway.

I'd have to agree with this. They've already sent a clear message to their fans. Nothing else they can really do right now.

The islanders are now the second worst team in hockey. WOW. poor vanek :P. We may actually see them defer, or end up with the top two picks in the draft which would be nuts

I think I was right:

Part of me wants to think Darcy is an evil genius. Think about it for a minute, he floats Vanek to the Leafs to get the Islanders to bite. He knows that not only will Vanek get him good value, but that Vanek is in no way suited to the Islanders high tempo system, which means he'll be underwhelming and his value drops league wide making Darcy look brilliant.

I think I was right:

He'd be an evil genius if he hadn't given them the chance to defer that pick.

Unless he was so smart that he gave them that option knowing that they would AND that they would suck even worse next season, thereby landing us the no.1 pick for the team with the worst record in hockey. And if that's true, we'd need to bring him back. (It's not true. Calm down.)

If Regier is an "evil genius" than the Seguin trade makes Jim Nill "Emperor Palpatine." 15-12-27 +9 through 26 games. At 21 years old and locked into a contract for the next five years, you would be hard pressed to find a greater value.

Absolutely. Although the one thing to note is that the Bruins aren't really hurting without him, so Chiarelli got his too.

Absolutely. Although the one thing to note is that the Bruins aren't really hurting without him, so Chiarelli got his too.

As he did in the Kessel trade. It's a concept I always felt was lost on Regier. You don't have to win every trade, you just need to make your team better. I always felt the latter came first for Regier. Trading Kessel and then Seguin were too huge risks by Chiarelli which seem to be paying off for him nicely.

As he did in the Kessel trade. It's a concept I always felt was lost on Regier. You don't have to win every trade, you just need to make your team better. I always felt the latter came first for Regier. Trading Kessel and then Seguin were too huge risks by Chiarelli which seem to be paying off for him nicely.

I wish I could revise history and say that I'd have been happy with Regier taking the risk of letting Vanek walk to the Oilers. I would have been furious at the time, but I think in hindsight it would have been the best and boldest choice were Darcy bold or the best.

If Regier is an "evil genius" than the Seguin trade makes Jim Nill "Emperor Palpatine." 15-12-27 +9 through 26 games. At 21 years old and locked into a contract for the next five years, you would be hard pressed to find a greater value.

I think everyone here would have been thrilled with Jim Nill last Summer.

I said it a couple days after it happened, the worst thing about the LaFontaine - Nolan move is that it made it abundantly clear that Pegula and Black are just flailing away when it comes to running this team. Cleaning house after last season would have given them a lot more options -- including Jim Nill.

I wish I could revise history and say that I'd have been happy with Regier taking the risk of letting Vanek walk to the Oilers. I would have been furious at the time, but I think in hindsight it would have been the best and boldest choice were Darcy bold or the best.

Wasn't an option for him. His boss was on record stating that any offer would be matched. Eulers probably make an offer to him w/out that caviot, but it also is probably $1MM less per year. And DR would have had a decision to make.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.