Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

It's NYR. They've been doing this since you were in pull-ups.

That's fine but I think giving out deals like this is part of the reason they fluctuate up and down so much as a team. What I mean is they over pay these veteran guys they have and then these players drop off and it takes a year or two for the cap to increase so they can bring in more players. So they go from good to cap screwed with aging vets to good again in a cyclical period of 4-5years.

That's fine but I think giving out deals like this is part of the reason they fluctuate up and down so much as a team. What I mean is they over pay these veteran guys they have and then these players drop off and it takes a year or two for the cap to increase so they can bring in more players. So they go from good to cap screwed with aging vets to good again in a cyclical period of 4-5years.

Yes. Exactly. They've been doing this forever, with the same consequences.

I confess I'm still adjusting to salary inflation due to back diving deals being eliminated, but that's still an awful lot for a goaltender going into the last part of his career. That said, I don't think the Rangers really had much of a choice on this one.

Does it set a price for Miller now? I mean I would argue Lundqvist has been better than Miller and is younger but they are comparable.

Guess who was on the ice and offered a weak defensive effort:

@NHL

Through the D in OT. Check out Sidney Crosby's slick winner for the @Penguins: http://s.nhl.com/rqArM

i don't see that as weak - vanek just got beat and schooled by arguably the best player in the world. once crosby stole the puck and had speed the other way, there wasn't much for vanek to do other than take a penalty.

crosby's goal is also reminiscent of one of vanek's greatest goals as a sabre - the one against the caps.

i don't see that as weak - vanek just got beat and schooled by arguably the best player in the world. once crosby stole the puck and had speed the other way, there wasn't much for vanek to do other than take a penalty.

crosby's goal is also reminiscent of one of vanek's greatest goals as a sabre - the one against the caps.

Yeah, Crosby stole the puck from Vanek and IMO he should have put forth a better effort to impede Crosby after his turnover.

Like I said....Weak!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think Miller probably asks for 6.5-7, but who knows. I do know I don't want to sign him to anything resembling the Lundqvist deal.

If nothing else, it actually removes one potential suitor for Miller. Not that the Rags were going to let Lundqvist walk, but if they had, Miller would have been a serious option for them.

If nothing else, it actually removes one potential suitor for Miller. Not that the Rags were going to let Lundqvist walk, but if they had, Miller would have been a serious option for them.

It probably pushes Miller to free agency even stronger. He's now the clear-cut best goalie on the market. He'll be looking for a huge deal.

It probably pushes Miller to free agency even stronger. He's now the clear-cut best goalie on the market. He'll be looking for a huge deal.

Just in case anyone misread it, I was talking about Miller in free agency. I don't want anyone to think I was suggesting that the Rags may have wanted to trade for Miller.

Just in case anyone misread it, I was talking about Miller in free agency. I don't want anyone to think I was suggesting that the Rags may have wanted to trade for Miller.

Yea I understood ya. Just wanted to add a point to what it might mean for him.

real shootout in the last 5 minutes between Joysey and Monreal.

All I have is the Philly Detroit game. I made the mistake of thinking NBC would carry more games than they do. I still have to do something about that, I haven't watch too many good games so far this year.

All I have is the Philly Detroit game. I made the mistake of thinking NBC would carry more games than they do. I still have to do something about that, I haven't watch too many good games so far this year.

Ah, Philly/Detroit, that heated rivalry. :blink:

This Jersey/Habs game really is was good (don't even care about the SO).

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie31m

I can tell you there are some developments in the works that will ensure TSN's hockey coverage remains first rate for a long, long time.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie23m

Booyah!! G'nite. #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn

I wonder what Bob might be talking about.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie31m

I can tell you there are some developments in the works that will ensure TSN's hockey coverage remains first rate for a long, long time.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie23m

Booyah!! G'nite. #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn #tsn

I wonder what Bob might be talking about.

Not sure yet. But I was doing some more reading. I'm not sure I'm down with the Rogers deal.

And in one sweep, Rogers becomes the king of the sports-media heap in Canada. Remember that it already owns the Toronto Blue Jays and 37.5-percent of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors.

Can you imagine having to receive all of your sports coverage from an entity that is a substantial owner of a different team from the one you root for? How could you possibly get unbiased sports coverage? It'd be like watching Sabres games on the non-Buffalo MSG (remember doing that for NYR, NYI, and NJD away games for years?), except all of the time.

Not sure yet. But I was doing some more reading. I'm not sure I'm down with the Rogers deal.

Can you imagine having to receive all of your sports coverage from an entity that is a substantial owner of a different team from the one you root for? How could you possibly get unbiased sports coverage? It'd be like watching Sabres games on the non-Buffalo MSG (remember doing that for NYR, NYI, and NJD away games for years?), except all of the time.

Sooooooo its like watching NBCSports?

It's not exactly the same. We were watching a broadcast designed for the NYC market, which was then mirrored here for a select few games. Their market drove their content.

In the case above, the market is the same whether or not Rogers is the owner. To the extent that the market demand drives the content, there will still be incentive to cover other teams. In other words, Rogers' stockholders will still want them to make as much money as possible. It's unlikely that neutral reporting (vs. biased) about the Leafs would have a significant impact on the franchise's valuation, while biased reporting could have a substantial impact on viewership outside of Toronto (they'd still watch the games, because there's no alternative, but the other content would not be viewed.)

So, yes, there might be some bias, but not exactly like what we saw on MSG.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.