Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

No, I am basing it on everything I have read and everyone I have talked to and everything I have seen. If Geno went in the 2nd EJ Manuel was not going in the first if the Bills didn't take him. He is a late 2nd early 3rd round pick at best so you can take your :doh: somewhere else. Like I said I think Manuel can succeed and be good but it is about maximizing the picks you have and drafting him in the first when he would have been there in the 3rd, fail.

OMG DO YOU GUYS WATCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL AT ALL? SERIOUSLY ###### THIS THREAD!

Stop your yelling and whining.

From what I have read, several legit NFL sources say that the Eagles and Jets were high on EJ. Both of those teams had 2nd round picks before us. The Eagles were confirmed to be in trade talks for picks in the 20s to pick up EJ. You are basing your argument on perceived draft value, which is meaningless when you consider the importance of a franchise QB. The Bills picked up an extra 2nd round pick and got their guy. Whether or not he was the guy you wanted, you can't say they didn't maximize their picks.

The next GM was assisting all of this, so I don't really see the issue.

Agreed. The Bills are inept, we all know this, but not even they would allow a GM to hire a coach and make draft selections without approval of the next in line when they know the GM is stepping down shortly. Spare me the cynicism, there's no way in hell Nix stepping aside right now came as a surprise to those in charge.

No, I am basing it on everything I have read and everyone I have talked to and everything I have seen. If Geno went in the 2nd EJ Manuel was not going in the first if the Bills didn't take him. He is a late 2nd early 3rd round pick at best so you can take your :doh: somewhere else. Like I said I think Manuel can succeed and be good but it is about maximizing the picks you have and drafting him in the first when he would have been there in the 3rd, fail.

"Bills Banter (Other thoughts on the Bills' 2013 draft class): The days following the draft are especially enlightening because scouts are more willing to share their unbiased opinions on drafted players.

The selection of Manuel has been criticized and certainly surprised many (including me) who theorized head coach Doug Marrone and offensive coordinator Nate Hackett would stick with who they knew and draft Ryan Nassib, the passer they'd worked with at Syracuse.

The perception by many is that the Bills' selection of Manuel at No. 16 overall was a reach. Representatives from multiple teams have told me, however, that they saw the former Florida State star as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft class. One highly placed source for a team other than the Bills said Manuel was the best "by a wide margin."

It is easy to understand why. Dual-threat quarterbacks took the league by storm last year and Manuel possesses an intoxicating combination of physical traits to go along with toughness and intelligence." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22203399/finding-the-fits-alonso-could-star-as-qb-of-bills-defense

Edited by Lanny

Here's a bulletin: EVERYTHING YOU READ WAS WRONG!!!

Stick with crying about the Sabres.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Wow! A team with a desperate need for a quarterback got the man they (and many others) thought was the best QB prospect in the draft, and secured an extra second- rounder that allowed the to pick projected starters at wideout and linebacker too.

And they are inept.

So they stay at their pick and take Tavon Austin and get lucky that Manuel drops to their second round pick.

You'd like Austin and Manuel instead of Woods Manuel and Alonso?

Wow! A team with a desperate need for a quarterback got the man they (and many others) thought was the best QB prospect in the draft, and secured an extra second- rounder that allowed the to pick projected starters at wideout and linebacker too.

And they are inept.

So they stay at their pick and take Tavon Austin and get lucky that Manuel drops to their second round pick.

You'd like Austin and Manuel instead of Woods Manuel and Alonso?

There at least are no excuses.....the Bills got the #1 QB off the board.

I think with Austin and Givens....and a nice D......the Rams are a live longshot next year. I would have risked it myself.

Agreed. The Bills are inept, we all know this, but not even they would allow a GM to hire a coach and make draft selections without approval of the next in line when they know the GM is stepping down shortly. Spare me the cynicism, there's no way in hell Nix stepping aside right now came as a surprise to those in charge.

You'd think it may even be a good smokescreen to keep Nix in the public eye during the draft while Whaley is actually calling the shots. If media and other teams are pushing the wrong guy for information, nothing is going to leak out. If nothing else, that's one reason to keep Nix around until after the draft.

Buddy Nix steps down as GM, moving to an advisory position.

Ahhh, good. The latest 3 year (or so) cycle of the Bills first hiring, and then discarding sub-standard coaches and GMs has at last completed itself. New GM/Coach about when? 2016? 2017? Will they still be 'rebuilding' then?

You'd think it may even be a good smokescreen to keep Nix in the public eye during the draft while Whaley is actually calling the shots. If media and other teams are pushing the wrong guy for information, nothing is going to leak out. If nothing else, that's one reason to keep Nix around until after the draft.

I think it was more an on the job training for whaley.

THis could not be further from the truth. I think the Bills could not have done ANY better in this draft. They got their number one QB AND an extra 2nd rounder which is worth it alone. EJ was not falling to the 2nd due to the Eagles and if IF he had, no way was he lasting until the Bills 2nd pick. With Manuel, Woods, Alonso and some of the possible gems in the undrafted category, this Bills team has a ton of potential. With the new coaches, I honestly believe this potential will be turned into quite a special group over the next 5 years......

Ugh, I used to like this thread more than my other old Bills forum all together because I could avoid this mess.

You find a guy. You pick that guy. You don't mess around and get cute, especially with QB's. 4 years from now if he's a success no one will give a crap if he was picked at 16 or 116. And if he sucks it matters even less.

This isn't the NFL of 10 years ago, where if you picked a guy and were wrong, especially early and a QB, your franchise was set back a decade. Look at Carolina. They picked Clausen and Pike in the same draft, both guys who were supposed to be potential starters. What happened when they blew? They picked Cam Newton the next year.

Ugh, I used to like this thread more than my other old Bills forum all together because I could avoid this mess.

C'mon -- this thread is still way, way cleaner and more tolerable than all the noise over at TSW.

You find a guy. You pick that guy. You don't mess around and get cute, especially with QB's. 4 years from now if he's a success no one will give a crap if he was picked at 16 or 116. And if he sucks it matters even less.

This isn't the NFL of 10 years ago, where if you picked a guy and were wrong, especially early and a QB, your franchise was set back a decade. Look at Carolina. They picked Clausen and Pike in the same draft, both guys who were supposed to be potential starters. What happened when they blew? They picked Cam Newton the next year.

Correctamundo, on all counts.

Darn right buddy. Let's just keep reminding ourselves about what year it was the last time the Bills drafted a franchise QB.

I hope they blow their first pick every year on a QB because until they hit on one nothing else matters.

Edited by d4rksabre

Just got a text from WGR...Whaley officially announced as GM, as if there was still any question of that.

The 3 year cycle officially starts TODAY.

May 16th, 2016 - Bills announce their new GM, and tell the fans they're really extra serious about rebuilding this time! :lol:

Just got a text from WGR...Whaley officially announced as GM, as if there was still any question of that.

The 3 year cycle officially starts TODAY.

May 16th, 2016 - Bills announce their new GM, and tell the fans they're really extra serious about rebuilding this time! :lol:

Great to see a positive outlook for a change. ;)

So when career executive Whaley is hired from inside without any comprehensive search it's "he's an up-and-comer who's been groomed for the job?"

When career coach Rolston is hired from inside without any comprehensive search it's "same old lame Sabres?"

Just asking.... :angel:

So when career executive Whaley is hired from inside without any comprehensive search it's "he's an up-and-comer who's been groomed for the job?"

When career coach Rolston is hired from inside without any comprehensive search it's "same old lame Sabres?"

Oh, hypocrisy. We do that here.

He was with the Pittsburgh Steelers for ten years prior to his time here, during which they won two Super Bowls

Guest Sloth

He was with the Pittsburgh Steelers for ten years prior to his time here, during which they won two Super Bowls

I was ecstatic when I found out he was given the GM position. The Bills organization, in my opinion, is headed into unknown territory. Right now it's all about being aggressive and going after youth in pretty much all parts of the franchise. I'm not just making reference to the players. The Bills are simply swinging for the fence. Gotta love it.

Situations aren't really comparable IMO.

1) We've known for awhile that Whaley was being groomed to be Nix's successor, whereas the Rolston hiring (firing Ruff, him as interim, no coaching search) was quite unexpected. Kind of takes the "WTF why?!?!?!" reaction out of the possibilities.

2) Rolston has a track record of being in charge that invites some judgment, particularly for anyone who has watched a lot of Amerks hockey the past couple of seasons. Whaley has the benefit(?) of the mystique of the unknown still being in one piece.

3) While specifics aren't known, it has been reported that Whaley has turned down opportunities with other organizations because he knew he'd be getting the big job here. Has there been a single mumble of any other team being interested in Rolston at the NHL level? Not saying this is particularly fair, but it does feed into the perception you're talking about.

4) Regier remains and made the Rolston hire....don't think this needs any elaboration :P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Situations aren't really comparable IMO.

1) We've known for awhile that Whaley was being groomed to be Nix's successor, whereas the Rolston hiring (firing Ruff, him as interim, no coaching search) was quite unexpected. Kind of takes the "WTF why?!?!?!" reaction out of the possibilities.

2) Rolston has a track record of being in charge that invites some judgment, particularly for anyone who has watched a lot of Amerks hockey the past couple of seasons. Whaley has the benefit(?) of the mystique of the unknown still being in one piece.

3) While specifics aren't known, it has been reported that Whaley has turned down opportunities with other organizations because he knew he'd be getting the big job here. Has there been a single mumble of any other team being interested in Rolston at the NHL level? Not saying this is particularly fair, but it does feed into the perception you're talking about.

4) Regier remains and made the Rolston hire....don't think this needs any elaboration :P

I believe that this is true. Last year I was at Disney World with my family and while we were having lunch at the Animal Kingdom our waitress noticed my Bills hat and told me that her husbands best friend, Doug Whaley, works for the team. Apparently they were roommates when they played college ball at Pitt. I asked her if she knew when he was going to get his shot at being the GM, and she said hopefully soon because 1.) He has had other opportunities and 2.) If he did get the GM position he would hopefully bring in her husband who is a college coach, but I have forgotten where.

I believe that this is true. Last year I was at Disney World with my family and while we were having lunch at the Animal Kingdom our waitress noticed my Bills hat and told me that her husbands best friend, Doug Whaley, works for the team.

It's a small small world

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.