Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

His #1 fault is his health. Sitting out camp indicates more Glass Tim complex. I just hope we didn't waste his one full season one last year's disaster.

16, 16, 16, 16, 13, 5, 16. That says to me that he got hurt, not that he gets hurt. If sitting out training camp ensures that he plays 16 games this year then I'm all for it. Bruce found a reason to sit out every camp (and no, I'm not comparing him to Bruce).

16, 16, 16, 16, 13, 5, 16. That says to me that he got hurt, not that he gets hurt. If sitting out training camp ensures that he plays 16 games this year then I'm all for it. Bruce found a reason to sit out every camp (and no, I'm not comparing him to Bruce).

I can't wait until Mario starts mysteriously falling asleep in random places.

What's going to happen with Lindell and Hopkins? Hopkins is pretty damn good for a kid but Lindell has been our only good player for a decade.

Writing is on the wall for Lindell, makes far too much for a kicker who can't get touchbacks on kickoffs and can't be relied upon for attempts over 50 yards. Plus the draft pick investment on Hopkins.

I can't wait until Mario starts mysteriously falling asleep in random places.

:lol:

Bruce lived not too far from me in Hamburg so I'd see him around town a lot. One time I saw him in the Tops on McKinley and Southwestern carrying out nothing but three cases of Genny. Didn't he fall asleep at the corner of McKinley and Bayview Rd?

Writing is on the wall for Lindell, makes far too much for a kicker who can't get touchbacks on kickoffs and can't be relied upon for attempts over 50 yards. Plus the draft pick investment on Hopkins.

They invested a draft pick on Potter last year too. Does a 6th round pick vs. a 7th round pick really mean all that much? Lindell is definitely near the end, but it's not set in stone yet.

They invested a draft pick on Potter last year too. Does a 6th round pick vs. a 7th round pick really mean all that much? Lindell is definitely near the end, but it's not set in stone yet.

That is true. The book on Hopkins though is he is a very good kicker with a strong leg and good placement.

Is this post because he is sitting out of training camp, or because of his one lack-luster season under maybe the Bills worst ever defensive coordinators?

Who cares if he sits out a couple of days of camp? They all find reasons to sit out this time of year.

Especially the first few days of camp. How many times have we seen turf toe and other foot injuries completely hinder a guy's season (Kyle Williams)? There's no sense in screwing something up this early.

I understand the rationale of "who cares if he's ready for training camp, so long as he's good to go when we play New England" ... to a point. There is something specific and unique with this Mario fella, though. He signed the richest contract in franchise history, was hailed as a conquering hero (and man was I on that bandwagon), got his a s s handed to him in Week 1 by a guy the Jets signed off the street, complained about the refs, did diddly squat, started squawking about his sore wrist, was mostly underwhelming for the rest of the year, liked it so he put a ring on it, embarrassed himself with diva-attention-seeking texts to the gold digger, showed up to camp talking the talk, left camp with a "sore foot" as soon as he tried to walk the walk.

This guy is not Bruce. He is so not Bruce. Yeah, Bruce made Allen Iverson look like a player devoted to practicing. But Bruce was Bruce and there was no bigger beast on game day (excepting perhaps the Super Bowl(s) where he was too hung over to make a difference).

What I needed from Mario this summer was to hear that he was looking strong, quick, fast, focused, etc. I needed that from the player who took the franchise for its largest contract ever.

His #1 fault is his health. Sitting out camp indicates more Glass Tim complex. I just hope we didn't waste his one full season one last year's disaster.

Yawp. And for those citing the numbers of games played, I respect the data. But he just seems like a guy who's shrinking from the role of Alpha Dog and setting himself up to have myriad excuses for when he can't justify that payday. Even if he plays all 16 games this year, it seems like we're destined to hear about how a variety of injuries limited his effectiveness.

At some point you have to start retaining your best players, even if it means paying more than you want to. The Bills have one of the top FSs in the entire league, are they really in a position to let him walk even if keeping him costs $1 mil more than they want? In a QB-dominated league, I think safeties that can cover and ballhawk are much more important than in the past and worth the price premium if you have one who is elite.

I am of the opinion that Byrd, while one of the best in the game, lacks the sheer athleticism to impact the game on a play to play basis. Hell, it's difficult for the greatest free safeties to impact the game on play by play basis. I won't regurgitate the reasons I've expounded on ad nauseum in the Bill's forum, but I can well understand why they don't want to make him the highest paid safety in the history of the game.

I also get the distinct impression that Byrd would take less from any other team vs. demanding the Bills make him the highest paid.

GO BILLS!!!

I just heard Marrone's interview where he got testy over questions re: Mario.

More than anything, I came away sorta liking the evident fire that's in the guy's (Marrone's) belly -- everything I'd heard from him so far was so bland/canned. OTOH, if this team were to stumble to 1-5, he sounds like a guy who will lose his funkin' sh!t.

... Not that that would be a terrible thing, were that to come to pass.

Is this post because he is sitting out of training camp, or because of his one lack-luster season under maybe the Bills worst ever defensive coordinators?

Who cares if he sits out a couple of days of camp? They all find reasons to sit out this time of year.

After a season of criticism regarding a mysterious wrist injury that his head coach knew nothing about? Going into a new season with a new head coach and new system, Williams needs to be at every practice and needs to be a leader.

People that are ripping on him is what, a total of two posters?

More referring to the fact that the Sabres are in a bad position and in the middle of the dog days of the offseason, while the Bills actually have some sort of hope and training camp just started.

I have no idea what Mario's injury is right now but it sounds like a plantar fasciitis flare up.

The wrist injury that he had surgery on week 5? That's what people are ripping Mario for? Ughhh the Bills board is actually better than this one right now.

As someone who was slagging on Mario upthread, I will rise to the bait. In light of your post, I have to infer that you didn't really read what was written about Mario by those being critical of/concerned about/skeptical of him.

Based on what I've been told by someone who is a knowledgeable fan of the Texans and what I've observed of the guy myself, I'm concerned about whether Mario is mentally and physically poised to have a bounce-back year or whether he's just setting up to have the 2012 season redux (except this year his foot will be the reason he isn't a difference-maker on D).

Fair or unfair, those texts that he sent to his gold digger girlfriend have placed him in a suspect light for me. Not "suspect" as in he's a bad guy -- not at all. "Suspect" as in he's the kind of guy who would send passive-aggressive mopey-dopy woe-is-me melodramatic texts to a woman who's clearly into him and after him for his dough. IMO, that sort of guy isn't the sort of guy around whom you can build a defense in the NFL.

I wanted camp to start and for his attitude, conditioning, and performance to erase that perception on my part. Instead, we got a sore foot and a 3-day as-yet-unexplained absence.

Edited by That Aud Smell

As someone who was slagging on Mario upthread, I will rise to the bait. In light of your post, I have to infer that you didn't really read what was written about Mario by those being critical of/concerned about/skeptical of him.

Based on what I've been told by someone who is a knowledgeable fan of the Texans and what I've observed of the guy myself, I'm concerned about whether Mario is mentally and physically poised to have a bounce-back year or whether he's just setting up to have the 2012 season redux (except this year his foot will be the reason he isn't a difference-maker on D).

Fair or unfair, those texts that he sent to his gold digger girlfriend have placed him in a suspect light for me. Not "suspect" as in he's a bad guy -- not at all. "Suspect" as in he's the kind of guy who would send passive-aggressive mopey-dopy woe-is-me melodramatic texts to a woman who's clearly into him and after him for his dough. IMO, that sort of guy isn't the sort of guy around whom you can build a defense in the NFL.

I wanted camp to start and for his attitude, conditioning, and performance to erase that perception on my part. Instead, we got a sore foot and a 3-day as-yet-unexplained absence.

I understood what you were saying, I just don't share your concerns about Mario. I haven't seen anything yet that indicates to me that we can't build our defense around him. Then again, it's clear that you picked up on something from reading the texts (I never did), and you've got sharp instincts so you could be right.

It seems to me that there are a lot of weird football players out there, and it's hard to tell which personality quirks are potentially bad for football. I also don't usually worry about off the field stuff.

I understood what you were saying, I just don't share your concerns about Mario. I haven't seen anything yet that indicates to me that we can't build our defense around him. Then again, it's clear that you picked up on something from reading the texts (I never did), and you've got sharp instincts so you could be right.

It seems to me that there are a lot of weird football players out there, and it's hard to tell which personality quirks are potentially bad for football. I also don't usually worry about off the field stuff.

Fair deuce. I think part of the reason that I'm getting "activated" (blechk - that there's therapy talk) about Mario is because, man, I bit hard on the line of hope that his signing seemed to represent. I really wanted to believe in Super Mario. And I still do. I just don't think it's going to come together near the way I'd/we'd hoped.

Fair deuce. I think part of the reason that I'm getting "activated" (blechk - that there's therapy talk) about Mario is because, man, I bit hard on the line of hope that his signing seemed to represent. I really wanted to believe in Super Mario. And I still do. I just don't think it's going to come together near the way I'd/we'd hoped.

I'm pretty excited to see him in an aggressive defensive system. That's enough to have my optimism.

http://www.wgr550.com/Mario-Williams-absent-from-Bills-camp-once-again/16939557 -Listen to the audio with Marrone at the bottom of the article. Got a bit of Torts in 'em :lol:

The wrist injury that he had surgery on week 5? That's what people are ripping Mario for? Ughhh the Bills board is actually better than this one right now.

I'm not ripping Mario per se. I am concerned that his body is deteriorating. I hope that it is not, but he not just sitting out, they sent him off-site for evaluation. Hopefully it really just is a bruce smith deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.