Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

Manuel was the wrong pick given the need for a franchise QB.

He is the complete package,

Manuel needs polishing for sure. There was better talent available at other positions with this pick in my most humble opinion and I follow college and the combine pretty close. Very High Risk.

Nothing like selectively pulling pieces of a post out to fit the need for ??

How about questioning the entire post, not a part and parcel of one. I gave my opinion on why I felt he was the wrong pick in the following sentence. There is no reason for the ??

Sorry but how can he be the complete package and wrong pick? Yes, he needs work but are you saying he can't become a franchise QB? I do hate that term. He needs to be a very good QB and you seem to think he can. That's why I questioned it

THE F*@&$*^*@#^$*^#*&*% SCOUTS LAUGHED AT THE PICK!!!!!

You could have drafted Manuel in RND 2. Not only was this a reach but if it doesn't pan out we will get to watch Nassib or Barkely or Geno winning a super bowl while we wallow in mediocrity for another decade. Horrible pick, absolutely terrible. This is a high high risk pick. They better knock it out with round 2.

Which scouts? Mel Kiper?

I actually watched enough Florida State to have an opinion on Manuel outside of draftnik rankings. I worry about his decision making and accuracy. Made poor decisions with the ball on a fairly regular basis and has hit or miss deep ball accuracy (but unlike Fitz, it's not because of arm strength). I never walked away thinking the guy would be a top notch starter.

That said, they took the top guy on their board nd got extra picks in the process. Plus, he does have the highest ceiling if he puts it all together and I've had enough mediocre results to last me a lifetime, so I can pretty easily get on board with what I think is a boom or bust pick. It'll at least be exciting to see what happens. Now, go get a WR and TE to help the kid out!

That is exactly what this is. I hope we luck out but idk if we will ever get that lucky as Buffalo sports fans.

That is exactly what this is. I hope we luck out but idk if we will ever get that lucky as Buffalo sports fans.

That's the thing though, there was no "safe" QB in this draft. Every single one of them had a flaw or flaws which could submarine their careers. Given that, I'm not going to totally pan picking the one with the highest ceiling.

You could have drafted Manuel in RND 2. Not only was this a reach but if it doesn't pan out we will get to watch Nassib or Barkely or Geno winning a super bowl while we wallow in mediocrity for another decade. Horrible pick, absolutely terrible. This is a high high risk pick. They better knock it out with round 2.

I'm glad the critics don't run our draft. The Bills took the guy they wanted, rankings be damned. I like it.

That's the thing though, there was no "safe" good QB in this draft. Every single one of them had a flaw or flaws which could will submarine their careers. Given that, I'm not going to totally pan picking the one with the highest ceiling, because all we have left in buffalo is hope.

fixed

I would definitely like to see another QB grabbed in the 3rd or 4th.

i thought about this too, but i don't think the team will carry 3 QBs (especially with brad smith on the roster). the plan appears to be to have kolb be the presumptive starter (unless manuel wows them (perhaps unlikely)). if they were to draft another qb--where would they put him? practice squad? and then have someone sign him away?

You could have drafted Manuel in RND 2.

some scouts laughed? scoffed? maybe. they're not our scouts. nix & co. took a good hard cut on this kid--chose the qb with the biggest upside. and as for his availability in round 2, i don't think he'd have made it past the iggles at 35.

I'm not going to totally pan picking the one with the highest ceiling.

word to big bird. what's the point of panning the pick before the kid's had his shot?

I'm glad the critics don't run our draft. The Bills took the guy they wanted, rankings be damned. I like it.

the same critics who breathlessly called jemarcus russell a generational talent.

oh, also -- this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLEMyMkDdU

In NHL drafts get the best available but in NFL apparently its take the guy you want... I'm done you guys can like him, I hope you are right and its friday and don't want to be on team stormcloud.

I don't think the NHL and NFL drafts are even remotely equivalent.

All drafts are crap shoots.

And there's this, too.

fixed

GET OFF MY LAWN!

i thought about this too, but i don't think the team will carry 3 QBs (especially with brad smith on the roster). the plan appears to be to have kolb be the presumptive starter (unless manuel wows them (perhaps unlikely)). if they were to draft another qb--where would they put him? practice squad? and then have someone sign him away?

some scouts laughed? scoffed? maybe. they're not our scouts. nix & co. took a good hard cut on this kid--chose the qb with the biggest upside. and as for his availability in round 2, i don't think he'd have made it past the iggles at 35.

word to big bird. what's the point of panning the pick before the kid's had his shot?

the same critics who breathlessly called jemarcus russell a generational talent.

oh, also -- this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=FOLEMyMkDdU

Nice.

I liked the pick.

They had me 6'5", 237lbs..

Sorry but how can he be the complete package and wrong pick? Yes, he needs work but are you saying he can't become a franchise QB? I do hate that term. He needs to be a very good QB and you seem to think he can. That's why I questioned it

ah, much better.

Well, given his skill sets yet the rawness of them at this time, I just felt there were other positions that could have been upgraded or, in the Bills case, addressed, as opposed to the QB situation given the high risk I felt Manuel is. It's just a personal opinion, I watched him several games this past season, he made some down right terrible decisions on throws and in other cases his accuracy was what I would consider below average even for raw talent.

That's not to say he could not be a franchise QB, it's just to point out I personally felt there were better choices available come the 2nd round and I feel he would have been there in the 2nd round in any event.

Once again, it's just my personal views, I don't hate the pick, I don't love the pick. I'd much preferred they went with best available as opposed to what I would consider such a high risk investment with that pick.

I fully expect the team to carry 3 QB's + Smith. Whether the 3rd is Jackson or a 4th rounder doesn't make a lot of difference to me. The lost roster spot can be made up by carrying an extra OL or CB on the practice squad. Considering I'm expecting this team to come in at ~6-10 this year, I don't see where carrying an extra QB (or 2 even) torpedoes this year. Start Kolb this year, if he's not the answer early in the season then try Jackson, if Kolb's not the answer late in the season try Manuel. Use this season to figure out if they think Kolb, Manuel, or other can be THE franchise guy they need. If they don't think 1 will grow into that role and there is a guy that looks like a franchise QB at their slot next year - grab him and jettison Manuel &/or other pick from this year for picks. It seems that (at least early in their careers before they've had the opportunity to show the rest of the league they can't be THAT guy) highly drafted QBs retain their value.

I'd much preferred they went with best available as opposed to what I would consider such a high risk investment with that pick.

given the way that the nfl is running and trending nowadays, the qb position is so important, so paramount that a team cannot just go "best available" and hope to have any chance of success. teams simply must be willing to take risks on getting a good-to-great signal caller and they can't let up, can't relent on that until they've found one. because without one? you're lost.

I fully expect the team to carry 3 QB's + Smith.

Hmm. Perhaps. It would make sense with their bold efforts to find a QB for the future, even at the expense of current competitiveness. Reckon we'll have to wait and see.

FWIW, an April 2013 pre-draft write-up on an SB Nation blog has the following copy: "According to ourlads.com, there are currently 23 teams that are carrying at least three quarterbacks on their rosters."

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/4/5/4186130/redskins-brag-about-having-the-best-3rd-string-qb-in-the-nfl

that's actually like a quote within a quote in a story that skewers the redskins' PR people for pimping sexy rexy as the league's elite 3rd string qb.

it's also a factoid that relates to off-season rosters. i am not sure how many teams in 2012 actually rostered a 3rd qb. and then we've got the brad smith factor (assuming he remains in the team's plans).

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm indifferent. The guy is big and smart. He seems to throw flatfooted many times and from what I was told, either goes to his first look, maybe second, then bolts.

The Bills at least pick up another 2nd, and got the 1st guy off the board. Either set the market, or clean up the value scraps.

This really is a weak draft.....guys that look like they could be nice players but a 2nd or 3rd, are going in the first this year. Reid the safety, Long and Pugh go bang in a row. I look at all those guys and say...yeah, they will probably be ok.

And LGR.....you need to tell us ahead of time that the girl is from FSU before you start asking dating advice. No need to pull a hamstring on the run when you can walk into the endzone......

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

given the way that the nfl is running and trending nowadays, the qb position is so important, so paramount that a team cannot just go "best available" and hope to have any chance of success. teams simply must be willing to take risks on getting a good-to-great signal caller and they can't let up, can't relent on that until they've found one. because without one? you're lost.

While I agree with this assessment of the QB position, it doesn't change my mind set that he would have still been there in the 2nd round.

And with the Bills needing to address so many position still, Eric Reid, S, LSU would have been an excellent selection or Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

would have addressed an additional need in the back field for them. Both of these players could make an instant impact.

Once again, filling some needs while at the same time still having the ability to pick the risky QB in the 2nd round.

But I realize the Bills were looking at Emanuel and wanted him, just wouldn't have been at 16 for me, at least not while other needs could have been filled to further enhance a porous defensive backfield.

While I agree with this assessment of the QB position, it doesn't change my mind set that he would have still been there in the 2nd round.

And with the Bills needing to address so many position still, Eric Reid, S, LSU would have been an excellent selection or Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

would have addressed an additional need in the back field for them. Both of these players could make an instant impact.

Once again, filling some needs while at the same time still having the ability to pick the risky QB in the 2nd round.

But I realize the Bills were looking at Emanuel and wanted him, just wouldn't have been at 16 for me, at least not while other needs could have been filled to further enhance a porous defensive backfield.

Maybe he would have been there, maybe he wouldn't have. I think there was at least a 50/50 chance of Philly taking him ahead of us in round 2 because of his fit for Chip Kelly's offense. If the Bills were thinking the same thing, and they thought Manuel was clearly ahead of the pack, then the risk wasn't worth it.

I think there was at least a 50/50 chance of Philly taking him ahead of us in round 2 because of his fit for Chip Kelly's offense.

I'd posted about the Bills not getting too cute on getting their guy at QB--and I think 16 was just about the right place to draw the line. (Maybe they could've swapped again with the 49ers?). Manuel had given interviews in the days leading up to the draft where he made clear that the Eagles looked like a likely landing spot for him, based on what he'd heard from the team. The Bills would have been right to fear that their guy would not get past the 35th overall pick.

I'd posted about the Bills not getting too cute on getting their guy at QB--and I think 16 was just about the right place to draw the line. (Maybe they could've swapped again with the 49ers?). Manuel had given interviews in the days leading up to the draft where he made clear that the Eagles looked like a likely landing spot for him, based on what he'd heard from the team. The Bills would have been right to fear that their guy would not get past the 35th overall pick.

I'm happy with the pick. I immediately discount rumors of other teams wanting someone. It is all subterfuge. Every teams practices disinformation to keep the lid on their guy. Look at the Bills, everyone was saying Nassib but Manuel was their no'see'um guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.