Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it might be worth noting here:

EJ Manuel is the first Quarterback that the Buffalo Bills have selected with their first draft pick...ever.

Yep, and if you watch the excellent 30 for 30 documentary "Elway to Marino" on ESPN you'll hear former Bills GM Norm Pollom explain why they ended up taking Kelly with their second first round pick in 1983.

edit: or you could just watch this clip. Basically Bills knew they were going to get either Kelly or Marino and didn't care which one they got at 14.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Yep, and if you watch the excellent 30 for 30 documentary "Elway to Marino" on ESPN you'll hear former Bills GM Norm Pollom explain why they ended up taking Kelly with their second first round pick in 1983.

I get the no-lose situation at 12 because they could have picked Marino or Kelly at 14. But that was a false option. In reality, they only had a chance at Marino. If they had done their homework, they would have known that. Had the USFL not collapsed, that pick would have been a disaster.

I get the no-lose situation at 12 because they could have picked Marino or Kelly at 14. But that was a false option. In reality, they only had a chance at Marino. If they had done their homework, they would have known that. Had the USFL not collapsed, that pick would have been a disaster.

Not entirely true, in another part of the documentary you'll hear it explained how a secretary at One Bills drive ruined their chance of signing Kelly before the USFL snatched him up. Kelly was at OBD ready to sign on the dotted line when someone from the USFL called the office and asked to speak with Kelly and his agent, and the secretary interrupted the meeting and put the phone call through! Kelly's team left and never returned.

Edit: and in the grand scheme this was probably a good thing because with Kelly as QB in 83/84 instead of Mathison and Dufek the Bills likely don't suck enough in order to grab Bruce at #1 in the 1985 draft.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Not entirely true, in another part of the documentary you'll hear it explained how a secretary at One Bills drive ruined their chance of signing Kelly before the USFL snatched him up. Kelly was at OBD ready to sign on the dotted line when someone from the USFL called the office and asked to speak with Kelly and his agent, and the secretary interrupted the meeting and put the phone call through! Kelly's team left and never returned.

Edit: and in the grand scheme this was probably a good thing because with Kelly as QB in 83/84 instead of Mathison and Dufek the Bills likely don't suck enough in order to grab Bruce at #1 in the 1985 draft.

No question about the Grand Scheme of Things. Definately the right pick, but the whole situation shows that this team's lack of understanding about the primary importance of the Quarterback Position goes back to it's inception.

Didn't have to be the case, Kelly and his sgents were in the Bills' offices ready to sign a contract until a Bills' secretary interrupted them with a call from USFL representatives. The rest is history.

Edit: Too late...Ground covered by the two previous posts. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Didn't have to be the case, Kelly and his sgents were in the Bills' offices ready to sign a contract until a Bills' secretary interrupted them with a call from USFL representatives. The rest is history.

Edit: Too late...Ground covered by the two previous posts. :thumbsup:

This is not a defense of the bills, that the call came then is merely chance, it easily could have come the day before. The bills exposed themselves to this risk, because they didn't do enough background, imo, because they didn't understand the critical importance of having EXACTLY the right guy under center.

• 2 weeks later...

so the guy who thought we had to take EJ Manuel in the 1st is gone? Well hopefully it was him... dysfunctional

Many things about the Bills' 2013 draft was a departure from what has been done for the past few years under Buddy. I suspect that Doug Whaley, behind the scenes, ran this draft in conjunction with Marrone and the coaching staff.

Many things about the Bills' 2013 draft was a departure from what has been done for the past few years under Buddy. I suspect that Doug Whaley, behind the scenes, ran this draft in conjunction with Marrone and the coaching staff.

Then they are idiots. You could have drafted Manuel in the 3rd at the least the 2nd. We wasted a pick regardless of how Manuel turns out.

Then they are idiots. You could have drafted Manuel in the 3rd at the least the 2nd. We wasted a pick regardless of how Manuel turns out.

I don't know how you can be so sure about that. The NFL invited Manuel to the draft, so there's a good chance more than only the Bills were eyeing him early.

Why couldn't he step down before the selection of a coach and draft class? Dysfunction junction.

The Bills did something? Time to flame!

This is dumb. You need a franchise QB to win. The Bills don't have their guy. They think they've found their guy. Now you wanna gamble with them trying to get their guy? That's exactly what happened with Russel Wilson last year.

This is dumb. You need a franchise QB to win. The Bills don't have their guy. They think they've found their guy. Now you wanna gamble with them trying to get their guy? That's exactly what happened with Russel Wilson last year.

If the GM knew he was stepping down, he should have let the next guy hire the coach. Now you are going to have a new GM with a coach not of his choosing and a draft class not of his picking. All I'm saying is if this was part of the master plan, he should have let the next guy buy the groceries for the sake of everyone (GM, Coaches, players, fans) involved.

I for one am happy Buddy is gone. I just think the timing is awkward.

Edit: So I just read that Whaley, the Asst GM may be the heir apparent. As long as he loves Marrone, I guess I don't have a problem with this. If Marrone isn't his guy from day one, then I do.

Edited by wjag

The next GM was assisting all of this, so I don't really see the issue.

And Liger, Gil Brandt came out and said that the Eagles had plans in place to move up to the 20s to pick up EJ.

Would you rather have Tavon Austin and Our 2nd maybe 3rd choice of QB - or - EJ Manuel, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, and DaRick Rogers?

Yup. They always invite potential 2nd or 3rd round picks to sit in the green room on the first day of the NFL draft. :doh:

By the way...are you basing your opinion on the likes of Kiper and McShay who said Nassib and Barley would be gone in round 1?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yup. They always invite potential 2nd or 3rd round picks to sit in the green room on the first day of the NFL draft. :doh:

By the way...are you basing your opinion on the likes of Kiper and McShay who said Nassib and Barley would be gone in round 1?

PTR

No, I am basing it on everything I have read and everyone I have talked to and everything I have seen. If Geno went in the 2nd EJ Manuel was not going in the first if the Bills didn't take him. He is a late 2nd early 3rd round pick at best so you can take your :doh: somewhere else. Like I said I think Manuel can succeed and be good but it is about maximizing the picks you have and drafting him in the first when he would have been there in the 3rd, fail.

OMG DO YOU GUYS WATCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL AT ALL? SERIOUSLY ###### THIS THREAD!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.