2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

As for the 1st part, because if the NBCSN pregame graphic Tuesday was correct they are now 8-7-3 under Rolston; which after his 1st 2 games would be 8-5-3 (aka, a legit 0.500).

Eye-balling it, it looks like Rolston's stretch of schedule was easier than Ruff's. Going into the Rolston stretch (as in what they were ranked at the time, not now), the average goal differential of the opponents was somewhere around .6-.7 less than the beginning portion of the schedule. Lastly, despite a few more wins, we've actually become a worse possession team under Rolston....and that was before trading Pominville. Still say #4 is the most likely outcome.

Eye-balling it, it looks like Rolston's stretch of schedule was easier than Ruff's. Going into the Rolston stretch (as in what they were ranked at the time, not now), the average goal differential of the opponents was somewhere around .6-.7 less than the beginning portion of the schedule. Lastly, despite a few more wins, we've actually become a worse possession team under Rolston....and that was before trading Pominville. Still say #4 is the most likely outcome.

Well, hopefully they "have to" put a couple more D on IR. (Hasn't Reggie been battling some nagging injuries?) Then your prediction is looking pretty solid.

You give me hope where I have none.

Well, this thread can take on a whole new look now. Especially with it looking likely that Vanek gets moved.

I'd imagine Grigorenko is a shoo in to make the roster now. And barring a trade for a RW in the offseason I'd imagine Armia is in blue/white/gold as well.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

various grinders and pugilists

Gonna be a thin year in the forward ranks.

Vitrol for Ville?

Well, this thread can take on a whole new look now. Especially with it looking likely that Vanek gets moved.

I'd imagine Grigorenko is a shoo in to make the roster now. And barring a trade for a RW in the offseason I'd imagine Armia is in blue/white/gold as well.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

various grinders and pugilists

Gonna be a thin year in the forward ranks.

Gerbe might take larsson's spot on the third line.

Gerbe might take larsson's spot on the third line.

Dagnabbit! This was supposed to be about the time when there wasn't room for Gerbe on the roster any longer. :wallbash:

edit- oh yeah. that's right. Gerbe is a natural center, isn't he?

How 'bout a moderately optimistic scenario:

Hodgy-Vanek-Armia

Griggy-Ennis-Leino

New good checking center-Foligno-Ott

Larsson-Kaleta-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Sekera

Myers-New good defenseman

Pysyck-Weber

Admit it. You'd tune in.

Hodgy-Vanek-Armia

Griggy-Ennis-Leino

Larsson-Kaleta-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Sekera

Pysyck-Weber

Admit it. You'd tune in.

How about throw Iginla or Doan(assuming Phoenix moves and he wants out) in for Armia so he can start in Rochester and make Tyler Bozak the third center and you still have whatever you got for Miller and Stafford plus the top 5 pick to throw in.

Hodgy-Vanek-Armia

Griggy-Ennis-Leino

Larsson-Kaleta-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Sekera

Pysyck-Weber

Admit it. You'd tune in.

Are they re-signing Vanek in this scenario? Are Miller and Stafford being traded? I would tune in for this.

Also, I think "new good defenseman" is McNabb since its time to find out what he can do.

Are they re-signing Vanek in this scenario? Are Miller and Stafford being traded? I would tune in for this.

Also, I think "new good defenseman" is McNabb since its time to find out what he can do.

Myers and McNabb would be a nice pairing - both tall, one stay at home simple game and one offensive guy who likes to jump in

Hodgy-Vanek-Armia

Griggy-Ennis-Leino

Larsson-Kaleta-Gerbe

Ehrhoff-Sekera

Pysyck-Weber

Admit it. You'd tune in.

I'll tune in regardless.

I'm not counting on Vanek given the rebuild that is ahead.

Thomas Vanek will not be a Buffalo Sabre for the rebuild. He will play elsewhere.

Jake McCabe - former captain

Johan Larsson - former captain

Cody Hodgson - former captain

Nathan Gerbe - former captain

anymore former captains/leaders that we have here now? i think it is interesting a bunch of the players we now have were captains or currently are.

Thomas Vanek will not be a Buffalo Sabre for the rebuild. He will play elsewhere.

anymore former captains/leaders that we have here now? i think it is interesting a bunch of the players we now have were captains or currently are.

Girgenson

I'll tune in regardless.

There's the horrible truth. I'll be watching no matter what they do.

Actually that's two horrible truths. I don't think Vanek will be here either.

You know, I won't even mind if they suck next year. Just load the team up with young players and it should be fun watching them develop and hopefully give us some hope for the future.

Hopefully Gerbe is not part of our future.

Pysyk is another former captain.

How about throw Iginla or Doan(assuming Phoenix moves and he wants out) in for Armia so he can start in Rochester and make Tyler Bozak the third center and you still have whatever you got for Miller and Stafford plus the top 5 pick to throw in.

Well, I tried to limit my "moderately optimistic" assumptions to:

- Vanek re-signing

- Armia being ready

- Griggy being ready

- 2 respectable FA/trade pickups (#3 center -- and Bozek makes sense there -- plus 2nd pair defenseman)

...so I didn't want to get into fantasyland territory with Iginla or Doan, or anything meaningful next year from an 18-year-old draftee. Miller certainly could be traded for something good, which I didn't include, but OTOH at least one of my assumptions won't come in, so the Miller yield, if any, would compensate for that miss.

Yes on Vanek. Stafford is gone, although they won't get anything for him. Miller may or may not be, but I don't think that should affect anyone's interest in tuning in based on the proposed lineup.

As for McNabb, he'll have to earn the right to jump in front of Pysyck. (I'd like to see it happen, but there we are.) I don't think he's at the age yet where the Sabres have to worry about waiving him if they don't keep him up in the show.

I'll tune in regardless.

We can't count on anything, innit? But there's always hope! change! change! hope!

Very tough to predict what's going to happen next year, but here's just one of many scenario's I'm looking at in my head... Not sure that Ian White is going to make it to free agency but there's virtually no way Boston can afford Horton, and Bozak is headed for UFA. So that said:

IN: Horton (UFA), Bozak (UFA), Ian White (UFA)

OUT: Hecht (UFA), John Scott (UFA)

RFA Extensions: Hodgson, Weber, Flynn (AHL), Adam (AHL)

UFA Extensions: Pardy, Sulzer

Buyouts: N/A

Vanek - Hodgson - Horton*

Ennis - Bozak* - Stafford

Larsson - Grigorenko - Leino

Foligno - Ott - Tropp

Extra: Gerbe

Myers - White

Ehrhoff - Sekera

Weber - Pysyk

Extra: Sulzer, Pardy

Miller

Enroth/Hackett

It's probably not realistic for Ott to be playing in a fourth line role, but my thinking is that the fourth line would almost split ice time w/ the third line rather than serving as your traditional 5-8 minute a night fourth line. Some nights the Ott line will play more, other nights the Grigorenko line would. I considered leaving Grigorenko off the roster because he looked like he has a ways to go during his time here this season, but considering the state of the team I would imagine Darcy just throws both Grig and Larsson in to see what they can do. If that seems far-fetched, then my alternative plan would be to sign Clarke MacArthur to LW that third line.

I think this scenario puts us in a position to at least have a watchable, competitive team next year while giving time for Grigorenko and Larsson to adapt and develop. I also didn't include any picks from the upcoming draft -- so who knows, depending how things go the rest of this season, we could have another two or three near-NHL-ready players to add to the mix. I know a lot of readers here are expecting Vanek and Miller to be moved given yesterday's events, but in my scenario we keep them both -- partially because that's what I hope happens, but also because it's too hard to predict what we might get in return for them.

Roy was a former captain. Paille was a former captain. Was t MacArthur too? All this former captain stuff means very little.

I'm guessing 75% of first round picks are team captains and probably at least half of that in the second round. They usually give the C to the teams best player who, imagine this, get drafted.

Roy was a former captain. Paille was a former captain. Was t MacArthur too? All this former captain stuff means very little.

They were temporary captains; come on.

I'm guessing 75% of first round picks are team captains and probably at least half of that in the second round. They usually give the C to the teams best player who, imagine this, get drafted.

This probably isn't far off.

Kind of like how in varsity baseball, at least in my area, the best hitter or all-around athlete often times doubles as the starting pitcher. Not very often in the majors do you see a pitcher cranking home runs, but it's common place in youth leagues. So for highschool or junior hockey, yeah, the best player usually gets the C, regardless of their actual "leadership" qualities.

My point was trying to see if Darcy is actively perusing guys who were leaders either in juniors or whatever other league the previously played in. He may not be but I found it interesting how many guys we suddenly seem to have with captain experience. Not only that most of these guys are talked about as true leaders. I don't know if I am explaining this properly, sorry.

Archived