2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Okay, please believe me that I'm not trying to be difficult, but that sounds crazy to me. Everyone I know shoots on their dominant side. The power comes from the lower hand on slaps and wrist shots. And if your shot is on the right, you'd want to come down the wing with your blade on the net side. Ever play the opposite wing and try and make a pass or shot through the slot?

Anyway, this is OT, sorry for the tangent. If this is interesting perhaps we can start a new thread.

For the time being I'm just going stick with the official position designation.

Sorry, the power comes from the torque generated by 'breaking' your wrist with the top hand (similar to what happens with both wrists when swinging a baseball bat). Your lower arm gives you the control on the shot, not the power.

As to your question about passing, are you referring to passing after you have possession down low in the zone or are you referring about moving the puck up ice? It is far easier to move the puck up ice when you are on your 'natural' wing as you are passing from your forehand. Personally, I prefer to play on my off-wing because I see the ice better but I'll play either side.

It seems the small universe that is the Great Hockey Stick Debate is represented here. I know I'm not crazy, and after 40 years of hockey I think I should have a grasp on the concept of holding a stick, so I did some research.

There is no incorrect choice, but rather whatever works best for the player. Your dominant hand can be either on the top or middle. Some say the most control is needed at the top, others go with the power and wrist shot control is better handled by the dominant hand. I did not run across discussion of body orientation and its effects on your coordination, but I'm convinced that's a significant factor as well.

Frankly, I think if you're telling a player which side to shoot with, and which position to play because of that, you're not doing the player any favors. Especially since this happens early (shooting side selection especially) in the player's (kid's) development.

It seems the small universe that is the Great Hockey Stick Debate is represented here. I know I'm not crazy, and after 40 years of hockey I think I should have a grasp on the concept of holding a stick, so I did some research.

There is no incorrect choice, but rather whatever works best for the player. Your dominant hand can be either on the top or middle. Some say the most control is needed at the top, others go with the power and wrist shot control is better handled by the dominant hand. I did not run across discussion of body orientation and its effects on your coordination, but I'm convinced that's a significant factor as well.

Frankly, I think if you're telling a player which side to shoot with, and which position to play because of that, you're not doing the player any favors. Especially since this happens early (shooting side selection especially) in the player's (kid's) development.

Yeah there are two other reasons people switch hands:

1) Dominant hand on top means you have more control when you have one hand on the stick

2) Your dominant hand and eye are usually the same side, so if you have your dominant hand at the top then your dominant eye will 'see more' in its peripherals (if that makes sense?)

But yeah there really isn't a right or a wrong answer - especially with people like me; I'm right handed, but i play hockey with my left hand and have more control with that hand, and i dribble a basketball with that hand, but i play racket sports with my right hand - so it just comes down to what feels right for the person

Except it's the opposite in the US vs. Canada.

There is truth to the handedness disparity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html?_r=0

As was once stated to me by a very, very good bar league player (and an equally good ball buster) when I looked in vain for a right-handed stick to use in a super casual low-key pickup game some years ago: "You know ... all the great ones were lefties."

I rejoined: #66 shot rightie. But, on balance, I think it's true that a large majority of the game's greats did/do shoot left.

There is truth to the handedness disparity.

http://www.nytimes.c...lefty.html?_r=0

As was once stated to me by a very, very good bar league player (and an equally good ball buster) when I looked in vain for a right-handed stick to use in a super casual low-key pickup game some years ago: "You know ... all the great ones were lefties."

I rejoined: #66 shot rightie. But, on balance, I think it's true that a large majority of the game's greats did/do shoot left.

I am so significantly right shot dominant that I find it hard to control left shot players in video games.

Also, to avoid getting completely OT, something about next year's roster.

Why do people insist on putting Jonathan Drouin on the right wing in their line ups? He shoots lefty and is a natural LW'er.

We don't need MacKinnon, Drouin or Jones I am hoping for.

Edit: And I don't believe Armia starts the season in Buffalo, more than likely in the AHL.

I think we ned to go back to the tried and true formula.

1st line - Scoring

2nd line - Scoring

3rd line - Checking

4th line - Energy

Our problem is that we have a mix of all types of players and we have to force them into the wrong role. This is evident with Gerbe. His type of play is suited for the first two lines, but his talent level is not good enough. Instead of doing the proper thing (cutting/trading him), we play him on the 4th line. Not the proper role for him. Playing Kaleta on any line but the 4th is incorrect as well. We need a GM that realizes this, and drafts/attains players according to roles and not necessarily the best talent overall.

Well, that is a blast from the past, but if you aren't rolling 3 lines that can put the biscuit in the twine, your not contending for the Cup in today's NHL

Well, that is a blast from the past, but if you aren't rolling 3 lines that can put the biscuit in the twine, your not contending for the Cup in today's NHL

Pens, Kings, Wings definitely had a shut-down line when they won. The third line needs to contribute a bit, but if they shutdown the top line then you will win. I think a team needs identity more than anything - every player needs a role. That is what we lack at the moment. We have guys like Gerbe and Flynn and Porter, who are alright players but they are also spare parts, they aren't fantastic at shutting teams down and they don't have the skill to put points up consistently, but they do hustle a lot, so where do they fit?

2 players i don't see in a sabres jersey as a starter next season.

Girgensons - Armia.

Armia has a bigger chance than Girgensons though.

Armia's size is his huge benefit to playing in the NHL soon - he is 6'4' and has played against pro. he could be a nice surprise

Armia's size is his huge benefit to playing in the NHL soon - he is 6'4' and has played against pro. he could be a nice surprise

I'm optimistic that Armia being on the Sabres roster is at least a 50/50 proposition. He's playing in a league that is a higher level of competition than the AHL and he's been playing against grown men for the last 2 seasons. I think (hope) he'll be more ready than Grigo.

I'm optimistic that Armia being on the Sabres roster is at least a 50/50 proposition. He's playing in a league that is a higher level of competition than the AHL and he's been playing against grown men for the last 2 seasons. I think (hope) he'll be more ready than Grigo.

I think there's a good chance he spends some time in Rochester just to adapt to the North American game, but I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see him for an extended period at some point next season. If he's up here at the start of the season for no other reason than Regier didn't get anybody to fill in at RW, I may have an aneurysm :lol:

He'll need to bulk up and add weight though.

I'm still worried about him getting his head taken off in the NHL. There are definitely highlights where he gets a little too fancy and I could see an NHL defenseman trying to land a shoulder pad in his face.

I think there's a good chance he spends some time in Rochester just to adapt to the North American game, but I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see him for an extended period at some point next season. If he's up here at the start of the season for no other reason than Regier didn't get anybody to fill in at RW, I may have an aneurysm :lol:

I'd give him half a season in Rochester at least. Look at how Granlund has struggled for the Wild this year. Plus I think he'd benefit from a ton of ice time in all situations down there.

I'd give him half a season in Rochester at least. Look at how Granlund has struggled for the Wild this year. Plus I think he'd benefit from a ton of ice time in all situations down there.

While I think Granlund probably has more raw ability than Armia, I think Armia's game probably translates better to the NHL, at least initially. You're right about the dangling with Armia, but Granlund is small and slow which is why I think he's had problems. Armia is pretty quick and has good size, so it may be an easier transition. Regardless, we're definitely on the same page about giving him time in Rochester.

Good summary, don't disagree with much. I don't think Ennis is really underperforming this year--he's putting up numbers you'd expect from a second line winger. Second, by "good players" do you mean good at what they do, or they belong in the top-6 forwards or top-4 D? I ask because while I love Ott, on a good team he's a 3rd line player IMO. On a good team, only considering our current players and how they're currently playing, I see something like this for our forwards:

Vanek-xxx-xxx

Ennis-Hodgson-xxx

Ott-xxx-xxx

Foligno-xxx-Kaleta

If the mission is to build a contender, that's a lot of holes.

I don't think we're that far away...a couple of additions and we could be solid. I like our defense, and let's throw McNabb into the mix next year. Keep Miller, Ott, and Vanek for the long term.

How about:

1st-Vanek-Hodgson- (make a trade for a first line winger)

2nd-Ennis-Weiss (UFA)-Leino

3rd-Ott-Larrson-Foligno

4th-Gerbe (or Scott depending on who we play)-Porter-Kaleta

I could live with that

He'll need to bulk up and add weight though.

I'm still worried about him getting his head taken off in the NHL. There are definitely highlights where he gets a little too fancy and I could see an NHL defenseman trying to land a shoulder pad in his face.

Reports say he has gotten much better about using his size to drive through the play rather than trying to dangle through - basically him and Foligno swapped playing styles

Whoa, time out.

At no point in the discussion did I say a player SHOULD shoot using his dominant hand. I stated that the majority DO shoot using their dominant hand. BIG difference there.

As for youth hockey, kids should be allowed to shoot whichever way feels 'natural' for them. Both of my kids started out using straight blades and one shoots right now and the other left. I HIGHLY recommend using a flat stick for premites because that way they aren't being 'forced' to choose 1 way or the other. Easily within the 1st 2 months of playing a player's affinity for 1 side or the other will show. And a kid that has been forced to play the wrong way for him will show immediate improvement if given a stick with the opposite blade.

I don't think we're that far away...a couple of additions and we could be solid. I like our defense, and let's throw McNabb into the mix next year. Keep Miller, Ott, and Vanek for the long term.

How about:

1st-Vanek-Hodgson- (make a trade for a first line winger)

2nd-Ennis-Weiss (UFA)-Leino

3rd-Ott-Larrson-Foligno

4th-Gerbe (or Scott depending on who we play)-Porter-Kaleta

I could live with that

Without intending to wade into the handedness debate (ewww) upthread, it looks like you have two LWs on the RW (Leino and Foligno). I think that's sorta the problem. Yes, we have no RWs.

Oh, and the older of those two LWs doesn't have a right hip.

Whoa, time out.

At no point in the discussion did I say a player SHOULD shoot using his dominant hand. I stated that the majority DO shoot using their dominant hand. BIG difference there.

Right, sorry, I should have prefaced that by noting it was additional internal dialogue based on my little research, and not directed at anyone in particula. I was on a roll.

Yeah but still the game is different compared to the NHL. Not saying he has no chance, especially if its a rebuild year, but I wouldnt expect too much.

Archived