2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

So if Miller and Enroth get the same money (hypothetically) you'd go with Enroth?

But but but with all the money they spent on Big John we won't be able to pay Miller!!!!!

Well I didn't say that. I simply quoted Darcy Regier. However since you have asked the question I would say that if you pay Enroth #1 I would trade Ryan Miller, so yes in your hypothetical situation I would go with Enroth.

Still catching up to all the threads so I'll throw in my input..

Ennis(L)-Hodgson®-Ott(L) Pysyk®-Weber(L) Enroth

Foligno(L)-Grigorenko(L)-Armia® Myers®-Ehrhoff(L) Leggio/Hackett (if Leggio is not resigned)

Leino(L)-Larsson(L)-Tropp® Sekera(L)-Ruhwedel®

Flynn®-Porter(L)-Kaleta®

With Scott, Gerbe, and McNabb also making the team. I'm trading Miller, Vanek & Stafford and haven't decided what would be good in return/where they could go. Also this is not including free agents as there are some I'd like to pursue but not ready go ahead and decide who we should try to get. Maybe go after a Filppula in FA to play center? Also, go after a Douglas Murray/Rob Scuderi/Ron Hainsey type for another veteran presence on D? Also would need to find another RW if Armia isn't ready to go but I think we should see what he has first.

Based on what I've seen, I am very comfortable with these players in these roles:

? ? Vanek

? Hodgson ?

Leino ? Ott

Kaleta Porter ?

Scott

You can add Ennis in as is a top six forward, but his best fit is unclear.

Gerbe and/or McCormick can play a depth role.

The question is how well can any four of these guys contribute in the top nine:

Stafford, Foligno, Flynn, Armia, Girgorenko, Larsson, Girgensons and Tropp?

The failures of Grigorenko, Stafford and Foligno in those roles last year (along with Leino's health) are a big reason why our forwards sucked. Could all four possibly be as bad this year?

And even if three or four emerge, it is highly unlikely any will be a legitimate first liner.

If we trade Vanek for futures, how the hell are we going to score?

Based on what I've seen, I am very comfortable with these players in these roles:

? ? Vanek

? Hodgson ?

Leino ? Ott

Kaleta Porter ?

Scott

The failures of Grigorenko, Stafford and Foligno in those roles last year (along with Leino's health) are a big reason why our forwards sucked. Could all four possibly be as bad this year?

And even if three or four emerge, it is highly unlikely any will be a legitimate first liner.

Grigs was a rookie and showed improvement so I don't think you can include him.

Foligno is a 3rd line guy and needs to stay there so I believe he can be a great addition to the top 9. Someone needs to tell him his role.

Stafford sucked, has sucked, and will play only as high as his linemates elevate him.

I spent a lot of time considering this and it is going to have holes.

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek

Ott- Ennis - Armia

Foligno - Grigorenko? - Flynn/Tropp

Gerbe/Scott - Porter - Tropp

That is the only way I can figure this and it doesn't look great. I think gerbe may not make it much longer in the NHL and I think Flynn and Tropp could turn into our #2 and #3 line RW at some point. I flipped Vanek to the right side so accommodate Leino. I assumed Armia makes the team. I traded Stafford.

In my ideal world of sunshine and sparkles and kittens, the lineup looks like this...

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia:

I think Armia and Hodgson can be and will be 1st line guys. If they mesh with vans, I can see him resigning

Ennis - Lindholm/Monahan/Grigorenko - Ott:

I think we need to start accepting that Ennis while good at center can't stay there forever

Foligno - Porter - Flynn:

Porter and Flynn have chemstry and work hard, add in the Marcus Decimus Meridias and all will be well

Leino - Larsson - Tropp:

Leino stabalizes while Larsson learns and Tropp is a solid grinder as long as he is fully rehabbed.

Will this lineup win us the stanely cup next season>? No. Then again I am not worried about next season.

Grigs was a rookie and showed improvement so I don't think you can include him.

Foligno is a 3rd line guy and needs to stay there so I believe he can be a great addition to the top 9. Someone needs to tell him his role.

Stafford sucked, has sucked, and will play only as high as his linemates elevate him.

Grigs started the season as the number three centre and deservedly failed to hang on to a roster spot. Doesn't mean he is always going to suck. Means we rushed him because Darcy didn't provide a better option.

Foligno started the season on the second line and deservedly ended it as a fourth-liner. I still hold out hope he can play on the top six because he played at that level in late 2012 and we desperately need a power forward.

Stafford deserves most of the hate he gets but he has produced at a second-line level for most of his career and started the season at that spot. He was the franchise's second biggest disappointment last year (after Myers). What he will do next year is a huge question mark.

Still, most of this is wasted exercise because there should be significant changes coming. Who we trade and who we acquire is really going to shake up these projections.

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek

Ott- Ennis - Armia

Foligno - Grigorenko? - Flynn/Tropp

Gerbe/Scott - Porter - Tropp

Vanek - Hodgson - Armia:

Ennis - Lindholm/Monahan/Grigorenko - Ott:

Foligno - Porter - Flynn:

Leino - Larsson - Tropp:

The first lineup looks like last years substituting Armia for Stafford. No defensive line. They will get scored on relentlessly.

I like the second lineup better but I don't want Larsson anywhere near a 4th line. He may be the defensive center the Sabres need with potential to be a number 2. I don't want Leino near that line either. He may have a role on the team but its not 4th line duty. I want the McCormicks, Tarnaskys, and John Scotts of the world roaming there.

The first lineup looks like last years substituting Armia for Stafford. No defensive line. They will get scored on relentlessly.

I like the second lineup better but I don't want Larsson anywhere near a 4th line. He may be the defensive center the Sabres need with potential to be a number 2. I don't want Leino near that line either. He may have a role on the team but its not 4th line duty. I want the McCormicks, Tarnaskys, and John Scotts of the world roaming there.

3rd line: Bickell-Larsson-Stalberg

as do I but it means someone must be traded. I don't want to start making suggestions for trades. Larsson I say surpassing Porter at some point in the future and Flynn has a lot of upside according to my eye test. Not sure how this shakes out.

Well folks, here is the long awaited TSN off-season game plan of the Buffalo Sabres

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424383

I will note that according to these ppl, Mikhael Grigorenko is on the "trade market" and they believe we need Two top-six forwards, two top-four defencemen, another defenceman. I think we need a defenceman for the top 4 but I don't think we need 3...

O and the way that TSN rates guys has Enroth with a 73.54 over Miller's 69.40

Well folks, here is the long awaited TSN off-season game plan of the Buffalo Sabreshttp://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424383I will note that according to these ppl, Mikhael Grigorenko is on the "trade market" and they believe we need Two top-six forwards, two top-four defencemen, another defenceman. I think we need a defenceman for the top 4 but I don't think we need 3...

I do not at all like his (Scott Cullen) projected Sabres' roster for the upcoming season: http://www.capgeek.c...or/roster/18594Nabakov as the #1 Goalie? :sick:

While Nathan Horton and Ron Hainsey would be nice UFA signings, I do not want to see Stafford, Gerbe, or Porter on the roster at all.

Good article and pretty spot on from an evaluation standpoint. Mentioning Grigs as possible trade bait would make sense if we are trying to move up. Have to figure any trade moving up is going to cost us 8, a current roster player, and top prospect or two. Again, the only way I move up is if 16 is given up and not 8.

I do not at all like his (Scott Cullen) projected Sabres' roster for the upcoming season: http://www.capgeek.c...or/roster/18594

Nabakov as the #1 Goalie? :sick: While Nathan Horton and Ron Hainsey would be nice UFA signings, I do not want to see Safford, Gerbe, or Porter on the roster at all.

I think it is a fairly realistic roster. If you think it realistic that the Sabres would be able to sign Horton as an UFA . :unsure:

I think it is a fairly realistic roster. If you think it realistic that the Sabres would be able to sign Horton as an UFA . :unsure:

Horton will have plenty of suitors, highly doubt the Sabres would be high on his list of potential destinations.

Horton will have plenty of suitors, highly doubt the Sabres would be high on his list of potential destinations.

I can't see this being the summer we spend any money on UFA's anyhow. If you are looking at a rebuild why are you going to get into a bidding war for a player or two when your not planning on making the playoffs anyhow? Start rebuilding the roster and when you get closer to having the team you want then go after a FA or 2 that might put you over the hump.

? ? Vanek

? Hodgson ?

Leino ? Ott

Kaleta Porter ?

Scott

1.Yep! could be worse too 2. Don't worry, read the other posts. Distributed scoring will take care of everything..lol, besides, there is no shut down line in hockey that will be able to deal with Cody , Ennis and a player to be named later, nor is there a first line elsewhere that can score on Tyler and Hoff with Enroth in goal,lol

I would be more concerned with signing Vanek than trying to get Horton. I want Vanek resigned to 5yrs 37.5mil

I would be more concerned with signing Vanek than trying to get Horton. I want Vanek resigned to 5yrs 37.5mil

No argument from me if TPegs, DR, et al can convince Vanek to stay.. I'd be concerned with Horton's head trauma history anyway. I've already stated I would like to see the Sabres target Bickell and Stalberg in UFA.

Horton won't come to BFLO. When Tallon came to Florida the first thing he did was tell the players that he's rebuilding. He then asked who wants to stay and who wants to go. Horton was the first one that wanted out. He left one team because of a rebuild, I doubt he'll do it with BFLO.

So apparently Friedman said the Isles would be willing to move assets for a team to take DiPietro's contract off their hands. I know we've speculated about a Miller to Philly deal to rid them of Bryzgalov's contract, but I think the Isles make more sense. Let's face it, Philly doesn't need our help to buy out that contract, so it would be dumb of them to sell assets for us to take it. The Isles have some nice assets and given their play this year, they might not be on Miller's no trade list. Nielson would give us a legit 3rd line center, while Niederreiter would give us another prospect to try to replace Pommer. DiPietro's contract, Niederreiter, Nielson and a 1st for Miller. Maybe the first conditional on Miller signing an extension. Does this make a lot of sense for both teams to anyone else?

So apparently Friedman said the Isles would be willing to move assets for a team to take DiPietro's contract off their hands. I know we've speculated about a Miller to Philly deal to rid them of Bryzgalov's contract, but I think the Isles make more sense. Let's face it, Philly doesn't need our help to buy out that contract, so it would be dumb of them to sell assets for us to take it. The Isles have some nice assets and given their play this year, they might not be on Miller's no trade list. Nielson would give us a legit 3rd line center, while Niederreiter would give us another prospect to try to replace Pommer. DiPietro's contract, Niederreiter, Nielson and a 1st for Miller. Maybe the first conditional on Miller signing an extension. Does this make a lot of sense for both teams to anyone else?

I've been saying Miller to the Isles make sense for a while. They're an emerging team that needs a competent NHL goaltender to get to another level. If they had Miller instead of Nabokov this year they likely would have beaten the Pens.

Your idea makes good sense to me for both teams.

I like it. Any Miller/Vanek trade will likely result in 3rd line center, 1st, prospect.

Archived