2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

It'll be Grigorenko, Pysyk, and McNabb for sure. I can't imagine Grigorenko being back in the Q, Pysyk looks like he's ready to start getting NHL experience, and it's probably time for McNabb to sink or swim in the NHL.

I'd rather have Armia in Rochester (at least to start) and only Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon are draft picks that we'd play immediately (and I'm definitely skeptical that we'll get any of them).

You have a good point though. Even having three rookies on the team all at once is going to be rough, especially with the team's leadership up in the air (i.e. maybe we're trading our captain and alternate captains).

Oh, that's rich. Really rich.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rookies will be everywhere next year.

I expect Armia to be on the team in a hole left vacant by Stafford/Gerbe. We will sign a free agent veteran D, but Pysyk and McNabb will be in the mix for 6/7. Grigorenko and/or (hopefully) a top three pick will be looked at closely as well.

It's going to be a young team under the guidance of Mr Ott.

I expect Armia to be on the team in a hole left vacant by Stafford/Gerbe. We will sign a free agent veteran D, but Pysyk and McNabb will be in the mix for 6/7. Grigorenko and/or (hopefully) a top three pick will be looked at closely as well.

Grigorenko has to be either in the NHL or back in Quebec. I can't imagine the Sabres sending him back to the Q so he's probably on the team next year no matter what.

Pysyk and McNabb are almost certainly Sabres next year. McNabb would probably be here now if not for the knee injury, and it's definitely time to find out what we have with him.

If the Sabres are smart, they'll give Armia at least half a season in Rochester to load up on playing time and get used to the North American game. I'm worried he's going to get his head taken off if he comes straight to the NHL. And looking at how Granlund has struggled since coming over for Minnesota is a good indication that even the best young players from the Finnish league aren't necessarily ready to come straight to the NHL and play well.

Ott for assistant Captain? well our rookies would learn some grit under that man.

This guy may be in the mix:

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres have signed free agent forward Tim Schaller to a two-year, entry-level contract, MORE >>> http://ow.ly/1UsZas

Kris Baker's thoughts on Schaller:

@SabresProspects

@SabresBuzz he'll bring good size and a solid work ethic down the middle. strong two-way blend, good on draws, some offensive upside.

Well, this thread can take on a whole new look now. Especially with it looking likely that Vanek gets moved.

I'd imagine Grigorenko is a shoo in to make the roster now. And barring a trade for a RW in the offseason I'd imagine Armia is in blue/white/gold as well.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

various grinders and pugilists

Gonna be a thin year in the forward ranks.

Well, this thread can take on a whole new look now. Especially with it looking likely that Vanek gets moved.

I'd imagine Grigorenko is a shoo in to make the roster now. And barring a trade for a RW in the offseason I'd imagine Armia is in blue/white/gold as well.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

I wouldn't count on Vanek getting moved prior to the deadline. I don't think the return for Thomas drops significantly between the Draft and the Deadline.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

That's hideous. It's a shame I'm not up on the 2014 draft prospects to start prepping "____ for ____" rhymes :lol:

I wouldn't count on Vanek getting moved prior to the deadline. I don't think the return for Thomas drops significantly between the Draft and the Deadline.

On the latter, look at the return Iginla got versus Pominville. I think the value tanks at the deadline.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

I would be shocked if the forward ranks look like this come October. We would have a firm grasp on the #1 pick come lottery time.

If he moves in the offseason he's not really as rental. I'd be surprised if he doesn't garner more value in the offseason.

I would be shocked if the forward ranks look like this come October. We would have a firm grasp on the #1 pick come lottery time.

Unless we acquire more NHL ready forwards in the offseason this is what we've got, no?

Having a full year to work on a new deal for Vanek vs. bringing him on as a rental. Vanek's trade value is only going to decrease as the season wears on next year. Pominville doesn't draw the sizable return he got yesterday if he didn't have that year left on his contract.

On the latter, look at the return Iginla got versus Pominville. I think the value tanks at the deadline.

If he moves in the offseason he's not really as rental. I'd be surprised if he doesn't garner more value in the offseason.

Iginla's return was a future 2nd round pick different from the Pominville return. Thomas Vanek's power-play ability will be greatly coveted at the deadline. I don't think it will be a significant piece of value lost between the draft and the deadline. Maybe an additional mid-tier prospect or mid-round pick. And this gives the Sabres an opportunity to at least try and extend him this summer.

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford

Foligno- Larsson- Tropp

Ennis-Hodgson-Armia

Drouin-Grigorenko-Ott

Foligno-Larsson-Flynn

Gerbe-Girgensons-Kaleta

Of course with this lineup we are going to be god awful defensively but it will be fun to watch.

Having a full year to work on a new deal for Vanek vs. bringing him on as a rental. Vanek's trade value is only going to decrease as the season wears on next year. Pominville doesn't draw the sizable return he got yesterday if he didn't have that year left on his contract.

But Jason will be available for this year's playoffs and next for the Wild. A draft or summer trade only nets Vanek for 60 additional regular season games. I don't think that increases his value that much.

Unless we acquire more NHL ready forwards in the offseason this is what we've got, no?

No way they are trading Miller(you didn't list blueline and goalie so I am not sure about Miller) AND Vanek without getting a top 6 player or two back, even if they are guys on the tail end of their career. I'm not saying Vanek level of player, but at least someone who can pass for a top 6 player more so than Ott, Grigs, and Armia.

Grigs showed he is nowhere near ready for top 6 duty, and I can't believe one offseason is going to change that. Same goes for Armia coming across the pond.

Iginla's return was a future 2nd round pick different from the Pominville return. Thomas Vanek's power-play ability will be greatly coveted at the deadline. I don't think it will be a significant piece of value lost between the draft and the deadline. Maybe an additional mid-tier prospect or mid-round pick. And this gives the Sabres an opportunity to at least try and extend him this summer.

No, it was not. The two prospects the Sabres got are much more highly regarded than those the Flames got.

No way they are trading Miller(you didn't list blueline and goalie so I am not sure about Miller) AND Vanek without getting a top 6 player or two back, even if they are guys on the tail end of their career. I'm not saying Vanek level of player, but at least someone who can pass for a top 6 player more so than Ott, Grigs, and Armia.

Grigs showed he is nowhere near ready for top 6 duty, and I can't believe one offseason is going to change that. Same goes for Armia coming across the pond.

Armia has been playing against men. Something Grigo has not. You'd be surprised what a year can do - e.g. Haubbaderu (server sp) this year

But Jason will be available for this year's playoffs and next for the Wild. A draft or summer trade only nets Vanek for 60 additional regular season games. I don't think that increases his value that much.

The field of teams willing to trade for Vanek is also thinned out if they wait until the deadline.

Armia has been playing against men. Something Grigo has not. You'd be surprised what a year can do - e.g. Haubbaderu (server sp) this year

Maybe, maybe not. Granlund was playing in the same league and putting up better numbers, and he's struggled for Minnesota this season.

I'd start Armia in Rochester and pencil him in for at least a half-season down there.

Maybe, maybe not. Granlund was playing in the same league and putting up better numbers, and he's struggled for Minnesota this season.

I'd start Armia in Rochester and pencil him in for at least a half-season down there.

His size has a large amount to do with that - 5'10' compared to 6'3'

Archived