The other sports thread

Eleven

In the NFL there have been 49 Super Bowls. 28 (57%) have been won by six teams.

In the NHL there have been 45 Stanley Cups since 1970. 27 (60%) have been won by six teams.

In the NBA there have been 66 NBA champions. 44 (66%) have been won by four teams.

In the MLB there have been 111 MLB champions. 63 (57%) have been won by five teams.

I did since 1970 for the NHL because otherwise it's just cheating with Montreal winning umpteen million. Didn't do the same with MLB because who gives a about them.

I will admit the NBA is tough to throw in with the rest because it's an individual sport. Last year was the first time since 1998 that the NBA Finals didn't include Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant. If you expand that to include LeBron and Michael Jordan then it hasn't happened since 1995.

In the NFL there have been 49 Super Bowls. 28 (57%) have been won by six teams.

In the NHL there have been 45 Stanley Cups since 1970. 27 (60%) have been won by six teams.

In the NBA there have been 66 NBA champions. 44 (66%) have been won by four teams.

In the MLB there have been 111 MLB champions. 63 (57%) have been won by five teams.

I did since 1970 for the NHL because otherwise it's just cheating with Montreal winning umpteen million. Didn't do the same with MLB because who gives a ###### about them.

I will admit the NBA is tough to throw in with the rest because it's an individual sport. Last year was the first time since 1998 that the NBA Finals didn't include Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant. If you expand that to include LeBron and Michael Jordan then it hasn't happened since 1995.

I'd be curious to see if you did the NHL since 1980 (or 1990, since the 80s were the islanders and Oilers show). Montreal still won a bunch in the 1970s due to the advantage they had in the concept of signing players when they were kids in the 50s and 60s and those players still working through the system. I didn't to the whole numbers, but since 1980, 16 teams have won the 35 years. Since 1990, 14 teams have won 25 years. By definition, 56% were a "new" team to win it since 1990. Not nearly as bad.

Edited by MattPie

• 4 weeks later...

A few days late on this one, but Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia banned for life by Major League Baseball for a third positive PED test. Hilariously enough, the last two positive tests came WHILE HE WAS SUSPENDED for the previous test. He still had like 90 games left on his suspension this season.

I have no words for how dumb this is. Now it's him and Pete Rose, the only two guys banned for life.

Edited by Sabres79

Enjoy the 3 game loosing streak and losing to an unranked team at home! Go Orange!

How loose have they become?  :angel:

Lawrence Phillips found dead in his jail cell at the age of 40. Possible suicide on the heels of a conviction for choking his cell mate to death. A sad death for a sad life. Don't know if he ever had a chance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/13/lawrence-phillips-death-prison/78742058/

I see top athletes getting away with things their whole lives.  Some learn the right way to do things and are fine.  Some don't and expect to get bailed out time after time.  Living in Texas I've seen this starting at a very young age.  This has to just plain stop.  (Example:  In middle school, a football player beat up a friend of my son's just for kicks.  The player was not disciplined, but Reese was suspended for fighting, even though he's the one that was beat up.  But heaven forbid a top player miss a game due to being a shithead.)

A few days late on this one, but Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia banned for life by Major League Baseball for a third positive PED test. Hilariously enough, the last two positive tests came WHILE HE WAS SUSPENDED for the previous test. He still had like 90 games left on his suspension this season.

I have no words for how dumb this is. Now it's him and Pete Rose, the only two guys banned for life.

Do you mean among the living?  Because there definitely are many others.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoenis Cespedes is killing me with his car collection at spring training. Sunday was a jacked up F-250, Monday was a custom Polaris Slingshot and today was the Lamborghini. Good for you, dude. Wish I got paid $75 million to do what I do.

Meanwhile, in non-Buffalo playoff news (There's sadly never any Buffalo playoff news):

The San Antonio Spurs clinched their 19th straight playoff berth, with 5 championships during that time.  The 2nd longest current streak is Atlanta at 8 straight.

The Detroit Red Wings are up by 6 points in an effort to clinch their 25th (!) straight playoff berth, with 4 championships during that time.  The 2nd longest current streak is Pittsburgh at 9 straight, which is in more jeopardy that Detroit's streak at this point.

I cannot even comprehend that level of prosperity for one of my sports teams, yet there's cities that currently have had it for multiple decades now.  Simply astounding and amazing to me.

Conor McGregor and Holly Holm got choked out last night. While I, mostly, don't care about Holm, Notorious losing was nearly a night ruiner.

I said "I can't believe Conor lost" to myself while in the bathroom at a Buffalo bar last night and some dude at the trough just turned, while still pissing (EVERYWHERE), and goes "holy are you serious?" Luckily I was not pissed on.