The other sports thread

Eleven

We'll have to agree to disagree about how awesome the steroid era was in baseball. Baseball wasn't better because "everyone" was juicing. I also don't think the playing field was level because not "everyone" was doing it. It did give us real life people who looked like cartoon characters though. You may have a bit of rose-colored glasses in looking at that era because the Yankees did very well during that time frame.

It equates to Lance Armstrong and cycling for me. Yeah cycling was more popular, but it wasn't real and ended up crashing back to earth when the scandal was uncovered. I think more damage than good was done to baseball and cycling in the end.

I don't know if I've got rose colored glasses for that era because of the Yankees. I love offense, in every sport! I love high scoring games. I think its fun. Those Yankees weren't even built on the dinger. They were built around a bunch of 25-35 HR guys like Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams and Tino Martinez and a couple of very good table setters in Knoblauch and Jeter. Those guys were worth their weight in gold, and I'm not sure if any of them ever hit 45 homers in a season.

The country was completely captivated by the home run race of 1998. TBS interrupted my viewing of Under Siege to cut to the at bat when Mac hit #62. My friends and I would imitate every long ball hitters batting stance while playing wiffle ball. I learned to hit left handed so that I could be like Ken Griffey Jr. To me, that era was absolutely incredible and I'm very happy I got to grow up watching that.

We can agree to disagree. That's fine. I don't expect everyone to share my views. I don't think there are very many things that could taint baseball for me.

I can't speak for the cycling. I can't watch 80 guys go for a bike ride for 3 hours.

Oh....chicks dig the long ball!

Edited by ubkev

I play tennis, watch it, love the game.... And find it to require more athleticism than golf ever would. I feel like playing a tough 5 set match is about the same amount of work as a whole season of golfing.

I golf, I suck, I play to drink, but as an amateur I can still drive the ball 300 yards kinda straight.

No comparison, and to watch on TV, I simply cannot fathom how one can try and watch a golf tourney when a player drives a ball and then the camera just shoots sky.... I am Biased I know, but cmon golf?!?!

As for Serena, she has thighs that could break a giant redwood in half, idk if that's modeling material or not, but I do know that I don't want to get kicked by her, she's accomplished a lot, and a hell of a lot more than that Jenner fella.... I don't contest that award at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I jinxed Orange basketball, although I'm sure I'm not alone. I thought they were going to be a big surprise this year after winning the Battle for Atlantis tournament. St. Johns smoked them yesterday and the Orange are looking really bad without Boeheim behind the bench. We'll see how they look when he gets back and conference play starts, but I'm no longer expecting much. Thank god this is the last year of Trevor Cooney. What a four year disappointment he's been for such a "sharpshooter".

I don't think Boeheim's absence is hindering the team. Cooney can just leave. Looking forward to next year. Malachi, Lydon and Howard have me hopeful for next year along with another outstanding recruiting class. Chukwu is going to be a monster in the middle.

I don't think Boeheim's absence is hindering the team. Cooney can just leave. Looking forward to next year. Malachi, Lydon and Howard have me hopeful for next year along with another outstanding recruiting class. Chukwu is going to be a monster in the middle.

We'll see how they do once the ACC schedule starts this week. One of the biggest problems with this year's team is they don't have the length that they used to in order to make the zone really effective. Even Texas Southern yesterday afternoon gave them troubles in their own end with back door alley-oops and interior passing. 

I agree that the incoming class and the freshmen this year will make for an interesting team next year. Again, they are much more physically able to run Boeheim's system which should make them more effective.

We'll see how they do once the ACC schedule starts this week. One of the biggest problems with this year's team is they don't have the length that they used to in order to make the zone really effective. Even Texas Southern yesterday afternoon gave them troubles in their own end with back door alley-oops and interior passing.

I agree that the incoming class and the freshmen this year will make for an interesting team next year. Again, they are much more physically able to run Boeheim's system which should make them more effective.

I'll be surprised if they finish .500 in the conference. They rely almost entirely on the long ball. If they shoot 60% + they'll beat some teams they shouldn't. If they shoot under 40%, they can lose to anyone.

I'll be surprised if they finish .500 in the conference. They rely almost entirely on the long ball. If they shoot 60% + they'll beat some teams they shouldn't. If they shoot under 40%, they can lose to anyone.

Bingo! Very strange Syracuse team this year with very little around the rim scoring/defensive presence.  They rely on the perimeter game, which they do seem more suited to, but they've been off in a couple games this year and it's been ugly.  I didn't expect much this year, so at least they're a bit better and more interesting than I was expecting.  

Looking forward, Cooney and Coleman can't leave soon enough, but Gbinije will be missed next year.  If everyone else sticks around, could be very good next year.

Bingo! Very strange Syracuse team this year with very little around the rim scoring/defensive presence.  They rely on the perimeter game, which they do seem more suited to, but they've been off in a couple games this year and it's been ugly.  I didn't expect much this year, so at least they're a bit better and more interesting than I was expecting.  

Looking forward, Cooney and Coleman can't leave soon enough, but Gbinije will be missed next year.  If everyone else sticks around, could be very good next year.

Seems everyone hates Cooney as much as I hated Brandon Triche a few years back. :lol:

Seems everyone hates Cooney as much as I hated Brandon Triche a few years back. :lol:

I always liked Triche. hated Scoop! And yes, no one likes Cooney. Unfairly, perhaps. It's not his fault that he's a white guard and isn't as good as Gerry. After G-Mac and that delinquent Devendorff they have been pretty slim on the shooters. Jonny Flynn and then a whole lotta nothin.

I'm not even sure if Cooney's career numbers are good or bad. He just seems to be lacking.

Yeah, they always seem to have that one guy who is supposed to be good and never quite gets there.  But then he's there for 4 years, and it seems like forever.  Triche is kind of a good example too, but I liked him better than Cooney.  He was at least better defensively as I recall and a better leader.

Cooney somehow always has the green light to shoot even when he's 1-12 or something atrocious like that.  Then all you hear is how he hits everything from everywhere in practice  :wallbash:

I always liked Triche. ###### hated Scoop! And yes, no one likes Cooney. Unfairly, perhaps. It's not his fault that he's a white guard and isn't as good as Gerry. After G-Mac and that delinquent Devendorff they have been pretty slim on the shooters. Jonny Flynn and then a whole lotta nothin.

I'm not even sure if Cooney's career numbers are good or bad. He just seems to be lacking.

Scoop another good example and Christmas was a perfect example until he had a great senior year.

Yankees get Chapman from the Reds for a bunch of minor leaguers and Muphy chooses to leave the Mets and sign with the Nationals. Very interesting moves on both sides

Well to be fair, the Mets chose to part with Murphy.  They traded for Neil Walker from the Pirates earlier this offseason.  I like the move.  Similar stats to Zobrist, but in the NL, switch hitter, cheaper, but free agent after next season.  Mets also get Nats first round pick since they signed Murphy.

Otherwise the Mets are being cheap again.  Their offense is going to look a lot like their pre-trading deadline offense of last year, since it's basically the same.  Owners won't spend the money or can't since they're using any club revenues to pay off their Bernie Madoff debt.  They even had a surprise Michael Cuddyer retirement which freed up $12.5 million.  Their payroll may even be less than last year and they're well on their way to wasting all their historically good and cheap young arms.  Love being a Mets fan!

MLB got rid of Dodgers owner McCourt for similar shenanigans, but somehow the Wilpons are allowed to continue to ruin the Mets.

Good article that explains the situation well if anyone is interested:  http://www.vocativ.com/news/262818/the-new-york-mets-operate-like-a-ponzi-scheme/

The Mets don't get the Nats first rounder. They get a comp pick at the end of the first round.

Also, the MLB's comp pick rules are the dumbest thing. They need to scale that back and are expected to in the next CBA. It's a major deterrent for so many players.

The Mets don't get the Nats first rounder. They get a comp pick at the end of the first round.

Also, the MLB's comp pick rules are the dumbest thing. They need to scale that back and are expected to in the next CBA. It's a major deterrent for so many players.

You're right. I read the information wrong.  Nats lose their first rounder and Mets get a late first rounder, but it's not the same pick.

I don't mind the comp rules, and it really hasn't affected the signing of very many players.  It has definitely slowed the signing of some players and I believe only Kendry Morales stayed unsigned long enough to have the compensation drop off of his signing.  The Mets wasted their first rounder last year to sign Michael freakin Cuddyer so I'm glad they were able to pick up an extra one this year.

You're right. I read the information wrong. Nats lose their first rounder and Mets get a late first rounder, but it's not the same pick.

I don't mind the comp rules, and it really hasn't affected the signing of very many players. It has definitely slowed the signing of some players and I believe only Kendry Morales stayed unsigned long enough to have the compensation drop off of his signing. The Mets wasted their first rounder last year to sign Michael freakin Cuddyer so I'm glad they were able to pick up an extra one this year.

It has absolutely affected the signing of many players. Big time.

It hasn't. They've all signed somewhere except one and he signed late. The only difference is how long it took for some of those players to be signed.

Any reporter in the business will tell you it's had a huge impact on these guys. There's far less suitors because teams don't want to give up their picks for guys like Daniel Murphy which drives down their price on the open market.

Any reporter in the business will tell you it's had a huge impact on these guys. There's far less suitors because teams don't want to give up their picks for guys like Daniel Murphy which drives down their price on the open market.

Ok, but I don't have to agree with them.  A salary cap would be the best idea for MLB but since that's never going to happen we're stuck with the luxury tax and the comp system.

Daniel Murphy made plenty of money and the Nats apparently thought he was also worth losing a first round pick and giving their division opponents an extra one.  Sounds like a market decision to me.  They knew all the parameters and a deal was struck that everyone could live with.

Hey WC, what do you think of Chapman to the Yankees?

It's obviously a great baseball trade, as the Yankees gave up NOTHING for one of the best relief pitchers in baseball! But what of the morality of it? No charges were filed, so we'll probably never know what happened with the domestic situation. Will MLB suspend him anyway? Will the suspension be long enough to give the Yankees an extra year before Chapman hits free agency?

Hey WC, what do you think of Chapman to the Yankees?

It's obviously a great baseball trade, as the Yankees gave up NOTHING for one of the best relief pitchers in baseball! But what of the morality of it? No charges were filed, so we'll probably never know what happened with the domestic situation. Will MLB suspend him anyway? Will the suspension be long enough to give the Yankees an extra year before Chapman hits free agency?

I love the trade because of the value, and it frees up Miller and Betances; we can now trade Miller and get good value for him in our outfield and Betances is allowed to stay in the set-up man role which is perfect for him. My buddy mentioned Chapman being a starter, but I say no way, I'll lose it of they even whisper of trying that, it single-handedly ruined Jaba's career.

I honestly have no idea about his criminal cases.  

Ken Griffey Jr. was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame with 99% of the votes (all but three). I can't think of a more beloved athlete than Griffey for those of us who grew up watching and playing baseball. Without his injuries, he may have gone down as the Gretzky of baseball. It's incredible that three people didn't vote for him, but when you consider the BBWA, it's also very impressive the amount of votes he received. I'll be going to the induction for the third time to see him put in the hall. Truly one of the greatest baseball players of all-time and a role model for both professional athletes and fans alike.