The other sports thread

Eleven

Ken Griffey Jr. was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame with 99% of the votes (all but three). I can't think of a more beloved athlete than Griffey for those of us who grew up watching and playing baseball. Without his injuries, he may have gone down as the Gretzky of baseball. It's incredible that three people didn't vote for him, but when you consider the BBWA, it's also very impressive the amount of votes he received. I'll be going to the induction for the third time to see him put in the hall. Truly one of the greatest baseball players of all-time and a role model for both professional athletes and fans alike.

Whoever didn't vote for him shouldn't be able to vote anymore.

I collected 2 players baseball cards when i was a kid. Jose Canseco and Ken Griffey Jr.

As far as the Hall vote goes, I'm disappointed that Bagwell didn't get in yet. And it's a freaking Greek tragedy that Tim Raines has had to wait so long. One of the best leadoff hitters ever!

I collected 2 players baseball cards when i was a kid. Jose Canseco and Ken Griffey Jr.

As far as the Hall vote goes, I'm disappointed that Bagwell didn't get in yet. And it's a freaking Greek tragedy that Tim Raines has had to wait so long. One of the best leadoff hitters ever!

In my opinion the larger tragedy is that Jim Edmonds is already off of the ballot. 

In my opinion the larger tragedy is that Jim Edmonds is already off of the ballot.

Heck of a center fielder. HOFer? Eh, I don't know about that. But you are right, he did deserve more consideration than he got. He does have pretty good numbers, and good sabremetrics

I disagree. I saw somebody say "he deserved better." Why? You either are a Hall of Famer or you aren't, and Edmonds isn't. Great player but not quite a Hall of Famer. Brian Giles is on a similar platform. Not a Hall of Famer either.

My favorite player ever is up next season - Vlad Guerrero. Can't wait.

And that's it! There is no one else next year. It's going to be a catch up year to put guys in. Bagwell, Raines, even Moose and Schilling might get in next year.

Heck of a center fielder. HOFer? Eh, I don't know about that. But you are right, he did deserve more consideration than he got. He does have pretty good numbers, and good sabremetrics

In my mind it's more acknowledging a great career had by a player. With his injury issues, the hall was probably out of reach but I expected him to hang around for a while. The discussion around BBHOF usually seems much less black and white than that of other sports and to be honest, I thought he could sneak in once the field shrunk down. The discussion surrounding him would have been much greater. Top 10 CF in homers and slugging percentage, .903 OPS, and 9 gold gloves (not that they are substantial in rating defense). If Edgar Martinez can flirt with the hall of fame only swinging the bat, then Edmonds' superb defense should make up for his .284 average (.376 OBP) and his inability to play more than 140 games a year. 

Whoever didn't vote for him shouldn't be able to vote anymore.

I heard the stat this morning that he received the most votes ever.  I don't know if that's in terms of the absolute number or the percentage he received, but when looking at it that way, I don't agree with the sentiment of your post.  Of course he belongs there, but he shouldn't be the guy who is closest to being a unanimous pick.  But hey, we think he never juiced, so it's ok for everyone to vote for him.

I disagree. I saw somebody say "he deserved better." Why? You either are a Hall of Famer or you aren't, and Edmonds isn't. Great player but not quite a Hall of Famer. Brian Giles is on a similar platform. Not a Hall of Famer either.

Not sure you've been to an induction before but if you're truly a big fan, it's a must see. The fans from the DR travelled incredibly well last year for Pedro and it was fantastic. To see the passion that other fans from around the world have is incredible. 

I heard the stat this morning that he received the most votes ever. I don't know if that's in terms of the absolute number or the percentage he received, but when looking at it that way, I don't agree with the sentiment of your post. Of course he belongs there, but he shouldn't be the guy who is closest to being a unanimous pick. But hey, we think he never juiced, so it's ok for everyone to vote for him.

I just don't agree that current stupidity is okay because of past stupidity.

My tragedy is Billy Wagner.  The guy should have gotten more support easily.  He got 10.5% of the vote in his first year.

422 Saves (5th all time)

2.31 ERA in 903 innings (2nd only to Rivera's 2.21)

11.92 SO per 9 innings (best since 1900 by a large margin)

.998 WHIP (best all time, and beats Rivera's 1.000)

5.99 Hits/per 9 innings and 0.187 opponents batting average (both lowest in live ball era)

The only downside is his 903 innings.  No pitcher has made the HOF with less than 1000 IP.  But damn, he is the best in several categories and should have gotten way more consideration this year.

I'm sure exactly what part you're getting at here since your words apply to just about every single post ever made on this board.

And I'm not sure your comparison is apt. The way I read your Griffey position, you don't have a problem with him getting less than 100% because other more deserving players also got less than 100%. I simply don't think past mistakes make a current poor decision any less of a mistake. If you got pulled over by a cop for going 30 over would you ever try to get put of it by arguing a cop last week let you off when going 40 over, so you didn't see anything wrong with a less severe, though still excessive, violation? It's pretty weak logic in my view.

My tragedy is Billy Wagner.  The guy should have gotten more support easily.  He got 10.5% of the vote in his first year.

422 Saves (5th all time)

2.31 ERA in 903 innings (2nd only to Rivera's 2.21)

11.92 SO per 9 innings (best since 1900 by a large margin)

.998 WHIP (best all time, and beats Rivera's 1.000)

5.99 Hits/per 9 innings and 0.187 opponents batting average (both lowest in live ball era)

The only downside is his 903 innings.  No pitcher has made the HOF with less than 1000 IP.  But damn, he is the best in several categories and should have gotten way more consideration this year.

They need a hall of fame for sports stories.  Originally being a righty and converting to a lefty would definitely be a HoF story.

And I'm not sure your comparison is apt. The way I read your Griffey position, you don't have a problem with him getting less than 100% because other more deserving players also got less than 100%. I simply don't think past mistakes make a current poor decision any less of a mistake. If you got pulled over by a cop for going 30 over would you ever try to get put of it by arguing a cop last week let you off when going 40 over, so you didn't see anything wrong with a less severe, though still excessive, violation? It's pretty weak logic in my view.

I'm fine with there never being a unanimous voting.  I know there are politics and other craziness involved in the process.  It's such a minor point, but when I think of who would be the highest vote getter in history, Griffey would not come to mind anywhere near the top of that list.  But it really does come down to that craziness I mentioned.  A big part of that voting is that he is the one guy from the steroid era who they all assume never touched the stuff (I'll be curious to see the voting when Jeter becomes eligible too).  I'm not entirely sure why anyone is viewed that way.

They need a hall of fame for sports stories.  Originally being a righty and converting to a lefty would definitely be a HoF story.

I had forgotten about that. Taught himself how to throw left handed after breaking his right arm twice as a boy. He was also only 5'10" and 180 lbs, but regularly threw 100 mph.  Also just saw that he still holds the record for strikeouts per 9 innings in a single season, with 14.4 in 1997.  He has some crazy video game stats.

I'm fine with there never being a unanimous voting. I know there are politics and other craziness involved in the process. It's such a minor point, but when I think of who would be the highest vote getter in history, Griffey would not come to mind anywhere near the top of that list. But it really does come down to that craziness I mentioned. A big part of that voting is that he is the one guy from the steroid era who they all assume never touched the stuff (I'll be curious to see the voting when Jeter becomes eligible too). I'm not entirely sure why anyone is viewed that way.

Okay, I see your point better now.

As to why people assume he was clean, I think a lot of it was style. Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I never remember him crushing HRs 100 feet out of the park; he hit a lot of homers, but they looked like things a "normal" guy would do. It also probably helps his image that he didn't start doubling his HR totals in his mid-30s.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Okay, I see your point better now.

As to why people assume he was clean, I think a lot of it was style. Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I never remember him crushing HRs 100 feet out of the park; he hit a lot of homers, but they looked like things a "normal" guy would do. It also probably helps his image that he didn't start doubling his HR totals in his mid-30s.

And then there was that time where his head popped off while trying to catch a ball at the wall.

Not sure you've been to an induction before but if you're truly a big fan, it's a must see. The fans from the DR travelled incredibly well last year for Pedro and it was fantastic. To see the passion that other fans from around the world have is incredible.

Never been to the Baseball Hall but I'm considering it. I don't love baseball the way I used to, but I love Vlad.

You can't really be drinking Smirnoffs, right Woody?

Haha noooooooo, a lot of rum filled drinks Mai Tai, pina colada, etc..... And lots of shots of mama Juana.

I played beach volleyball for 2 hours yesterday and I think I pulled every muscle in my body, I've reached that age... That belongs in the other sports thread right.....