The other sports thread

Eleven

No way was Syracuse going to continue its run of one-goal victories.

Sabres79, I had forgotten that Ken Starr was there!

Especially when they decide to concede the 1st quarter. Can't go into a 45 minute game down 6-0 & expect to win.

Albany got crushed as well. Bad sports day all around yesterday. :(

Guess Towson is the team to pull for now.

Albert Pujols hit his 600th HR last night and the world slept.  Some guys on the radio this morning advanced the point that in the post-steroid era, no one cares about numbers anymore, that in past years, ESPN would have cut away for a live shot of every Pujols at-bat until he eventually hit that 600th.  I think they're right.

Albert Pujols hit his 600th HR last night and the world slept.  Some guys on the radio this morning advanced the point that in the post-steroid era, no one cares about numbers anymore, that in past years, ESPN would have cut away for a live shot of every Pujols at-bat until he eventually hit that 600th.  I think they're right.

I don't think steroids has anything to do with it. It's east coast bias. Nobody cares what happens over n that other coast three hours away.

I don't think steroids has anything to do with it. It's east coast bias. Nobody cares what happens over n that other coast three hours away.

Any why should anyone? They're a bunch of lizard people, living in a desert.

Ever play a sport?  If so, tell us about it.  Provide your most memorable experiences from it.  Here's mine.  Grew up playing soccer, basketball and baseball, but the sports I had the most amount of success in were cross country and track.  I was a distance runner.  While in high school, I won the state title in Mississippi twice in the 3200 (2 mile).  During my senior year, I was recruited by schools as far north as Buffalo.  UB and Canisius wanted my twin brother and I.  Largest school to west was Oklahoma.  Ended up signing with Mississippi College.  It was a D3 school in the American Southwest Conference.  Won the Conference title as a freshman.   Regretted signing w/ a D3 school.  Could have gone to a major D1 school, so I got in touch w/ a few SEC schools that recruited me and asked if they were still interested.  LSU and MSU (Mississippi State) offered scholarships right away.  Ended up choosing MSU.  Competing in the SEC for cross country and track was a lot of fun.   

Please share what you are most proud of.  Already excited to read the memories you have! 

Edited by GoPre

When I was in little league, my neighbor and best friend (I was the best man at his wedding) and I were pitching against one another in the championship game. In the first inning, one of us hit the other on accident. Not to be out done, we continually hit each other every single time we came to hit, for the entire game. This went on until the last inning, where the bases were loaded and he was up (I was pitching). Well, I couldn't just let him win this game of hitting each other, so I said ###### the game and drilled him one more time.

100% worth it.

When I was in little league, my neighbor and best friend (I was the best man at his wedding) and I were pitching against one another in the championship game. In the first inning, one of us hit the other on accident. Not to be out done, we continually hit each other every single time we came to hit, for the entire game. This went on until the last inning, where the bases were loaded and he was up (I was pitching). Well, I couldn't just let him win this game of hitting each other, so I said ###### the game and drilled him one more time.

100% worth it.

:w00t:  That was awesome!!!!  Your friend had to know who really won the game!  Way to go man.  You had guts! 

Played baseball my whole life. Won a section title in high school. No colleges that I was interested in showed any interest in me. But I did get one last day in the sun. Seems the Cincinnati Reds thought that I might be worth a look. So me and a bunch of other 'never will be's' had a showcase for the Reds. I did what I always did, hit 3 singles. It turns out, a 5'9" 150 lb 18 year old with zero potential power, below average range, and a mediocre Glove wasn't what they needed at that time. But it was still awesome.

My greatest athletic achievements have been in Kung Fu and skiing. I was a grand champion by the age of 13. And I was also disqualified from 3 tournaments in a row for unnecessary direct contact to the face(what is the point of fighting if you can't punch someone in the face?)

Skiing was my jam. I've raced with and beaten Olympic medalists. And I've beaten X games medalists in competition as well. But as we all know, consistency is the key. It's why they were champions and why no one knows my name.

Oh, and Charlie.... of course you did lol

Edited by ubkev

Played baseball my whole life. Won a section title in high school. No colleges that I was interested in showed any interest in me. But I did get one last day in the sun. Seems the Cincinnati Reds thought that I might be worth a look. So me and a bunch of other 'never will be's' had a showcase for the Reds. I did what I always did, hit 3 singles. It turns out, a 5'9" 150 lb 18 year old with zero potential power, below average range, and a mediocre Glove wasn't what they needed at that time. But it was still awesome.

My greatest athletic achievements have been in Kung Fu and skiing. I was a grand champion by the age of 13. And I was also disqualified from 3 tournaments in a row for unnecessary direct contact to the face(what is the point of fighting if you can't punch someone in the face?)

Skiing was my jam. I've raced with and beaten Olympic medalists. And I've beaten X games medalists in competition as well. But as we all know, consistency is the key. It's why they were champions and why no one knows my name.

Oh, and Charlie.... of course you did lol

That's an achievement.  Seriously, congrats on that! To get a look by an MLB team is something to be proud of. 

Too bad the UFC wasn't around.  Could have done it there!

Now that is cool stuff.  To beat world class athletes is a major accomplishment.  Ha Had to be fun seeing the Olympic athletes on tv and saying yeah, I smoked that guy.   :thumbsup:

Way to go Ubkev! 

It's not a pride thing but one that always stuck out from when I was young.  My town split their little league up into three age group.  In my first year in the middle age group, I didn't play too much because I had a coach who played people strictly by age.  Anyway, we're in the last inning of the championship game, down 20-19 and I'm actually in the lineup.  We had chipped away at the lead to get it to that point, the bases were loaded, two outs, and I was on deck.  The kid in front of me struck out swinging on a pitch over his head. :wallbash:    So I never got the chance to see what would have happened if I got to the plate with the game in my hands.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that was the same year as another 20-19 game with a much worse ending.  That's why I still remember that score today.

Please tell me you crane kicked them.

It's not a pride thing but one that always stuck out from when I was young.  My town split their little league up into three age group.  In my first year in the middle age group, I didn't play too much because I had a coach who played people strictly by age.  Anyway, we're in the last inning of the championship game, down 20-19 and I'm actually in the lineup.  We had chipped away at the lead to get it to that point, the bases were loaded, two outs, and I was on deck.  The kid in front of me struck out swinging on a pitch over his head. :wallbash:    So I never got the chance to see what would have happened if I got to the plate with the game in my hands.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that was the same year as another 20-19 game with a much worse ending.  That's why I still remember that score today.

At times the what if memories in sports can be the tough ones.  Bites you didn't get the opportunity to be a Derek Jeter or David Ortiz.  Those guys were clutch.  

My older brother tried that on me once. I actually caught it. And don't you know, that did some Jackie Chan bull****! He kinda back flipped and knocked out 2 of my teeth with his free foot.

My older brother tried that on me once. I actually caught it. And don't you know, that ###### did some Jackie Chan bull****! He kinda back flipped and knocked out 2 of my teeth with his free foot.

And why was Daniel not DQed for the kick to the face?

Pujols is still in the league?

I said this to myself, I thought he retired. 

I then said to myself that St. Louis isn't on the west coast...wrong again. :)