The other sports thread

Eleven

It's still quite a big hole, and to even make the playoffs they need to win at a 92/93 win pace, which is what was projected of the MLB best teams. The pitching is there, but Bautista looks done and with Donaldson on the DL it still looks like an unsustainable blip if you ask me. I just can't have nice sports things apparently :cry:

Joe Carter walked off when you were a kid. That's all the magic anyone deserves. Quitcherbitchin

Joe Carter walked off when you were a kid. That's all the magic anyone deserves. Quitcherbitchin

Easy for you to say, Mr. Yankee fan.

And how do you know that Boyes was a kid then?  It was 24 years ago this fall and 25 since the first Jays WS title.  Maybe he wasn't even a thought in Mr. and Mrs. Boyes hearts yet.

But that was in 93, and I was like 5. Are you also going to tell me that because I saw the Bills in the Super Bowl when I was still sh!tting my pants that i'm good for my life?

And how do you know that Boyes was a kid then?  It was 24 years ago this fall and 25 since the first Jays WS title.  Maybe he wasn't even a thought in Mr. and Mrs. Boyes hearts yet.

ubkev was my seat mate at the meet up, so he knows exactly how dashingly handsome I am...

And 23 years from their 3rd defense of the WS. :huh: (Friggin' strike.)

But that was in 93, and I was like 5. Are you also going to tell me that because I saw the Bills in the Super Bowl when I was still sh!tting my pants that i'm good for my life?

ubkev was my seat mate at the meet up, so he knows exactly how dashingly handsome I am...

Don't panic. The Bills will be back to the SB and may even win it when you are crapping your pants again.

And, I meant your parental units ... oh, nevermind

No, the bills will never bring you any joy. You should give up.

###### Joe Carter (Had tickets to Game 7).

That's funny! And kinda crappy. Edited by ubkev

I heard some talk the other day about the popularity of his number and it got me thinking.  Baseball has to be the sport where I'm least aware of players' numbers.  They have never really been a prominent feature of the game when televised.

I think you're right. My guess is, it's a combination of never needing to know the numbers (refs call out the numbers for penalties, players faces are covered in other sports so we identify by the numbers), and the fact that, well, you never see the number on a baseball player. They're facing the camera when they're fielding, they facing the camera when they're hitting....about the only number you ever really see during a baseball game is the pitchers. 

Also, baseball doesn't really lend itself to situations where the spectator needs to ID players quickly. If you're paying attention, everybody in the field is in a certain place, batters and base runners go in order. IMO anyway.

Agreed, good point

I could probably name half the rostered players numbers in the MLB, lol. And I bet I could name every retired number in the AL East. I wish we were at a bar right now so I wouldn't be considered an internet cheater.

Edited by ubkev