The other sports thread

Eleven

Ivy league semi-final lax game went to 4 OT's. The Penn goalie that couldn't stop a shot the 1st 20 minutes made st least 5 saves in the OT's.

Finally Yale's Reeves drew a triple team up high & sent a pass to the midget (drawing a blank on the name, sorry) #3 who beat 1 man & there was no one left to slide. Goalie didn't stand a chance. 13-12. Awesome game.

Yankees baby.....they are just smashing the ball all over the place. And most of this without Gregorious and Sanchez. Everyone said Boston was gonna run away with the division. You can have all the pitching you want, but if you can't score, it doesn't matter.

Yankees baby.....they are just smashing the ball all over the place. And most of this without Gregorious and Sanchez. Everyone said Boston was gonna run away with the division. You can have all the pitching you want, but if you can't score, it doesn't matter.

The least feel good story in the history of sports.

Nobody except Yankees fans likes the Yankees. But of course half the world seems to be fans of NYC sports teams so the rest of us get to hear about it incessantly.

For everyone with a soul

Ps.... F the Yankees

Exactly. :thumbsup:

How about that 18 inning win last night, eh? Longest in interleague play history, and a sweep against the defending WS champs to boot.

I understand that everyone who doesn't like my team, hates my team. That fine. But your team's are all the same as mine. Getting gruff from Sox and Jays fans is pretty amusing. The Sox who have a higher payroll and the blue Jays who have the 5th highest payroll to the Yankees 3rd highest. And! The Jays are Canadian!! Americans rooting for Canadian teams...i just don't know. And the Sox are from Boston! Boston for sakes!

Your team's do the same thing my team does. But mine is from my home state, and is closest geographically to me.

I understand that everyone who doesn't like my team, hates my team. That fine. But your team's are all the same as mine. Getting gruff from Sox and Jays fans is pretty amusing. The Sox who have a higher payroll and the blue Jays who have the 5th highest payroll to the Yankees 3rd highest. And! The Jays are Canadian!! Americans rooting for Canadian teams...i just don't know. And the Sox are from ###### Boston! Boston for ###### sakes!

Your team's do the same thing my team does. But mine is from my home state, and is closest geographically to me.

The whole NYY buy championships thing is such garbage. When we did buy players, it didn't work. When we raise them from our own farm system, surprise, it works. Plus, the Sox are the ones trying to buy championships these days, not us

I understand that everyone who doesn't like my team, hates my team. That fine. But your team's are all the same as mine. Getting gruff from Sox and Jays fans is pretty amusing. The Sox who have a higher payroll and the blue Jays who have the 5th highest payroll to the Yankees 3rd highest. And! The Jays are Canadian!! Americans rooting for Canadian teams...i just don't know. And the Sox are from ###### Boston! Boston for ###### sakes!

When did I say your team buys championships? I have no problem with the economics of sport, and I personally think players should get however much someone is willing to pay you. My hate for the Yankees is twofold:

1) The national media attention is centered on a handful of the teams in the league, primarily east coast major market teams, that it gets annoying hearing about them all the time. #1 culprit of this is the NYY. There are 30 teams in MLB, and I would really like to hear the interesting stories from all of them, not just the ones in New York and Boston.

Article analyzing the East Coast bias on the MLB Network: http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-predictable-bias-of-mlb-network/

2) Not saying this is you guys, but the number of Yankees fans that I have met in WNY who are pompous and tell me I am stupid to be a fan of any other team than the pinstripes is f##### annoying. I can have a reasonable baseball conversation with fans from basically any other team, but with Yankees fans I seem to only get "Yankees rule, you suck, wooo!" type responses. With the added bonus that WNY'ers seem to claim the Yankees as "our" team because they are from NY, even though geographically we are closer to Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and about the same as Cincinnati. Most of these fans haven't even seen the Yankees live FFS.

Basically the Yankees fans I encounter are the baseball equivalent of the Patriots football fans. Past championships and media knob-gobbing have given them an entitled attitude that makes them generally insufferable. 

The whole NYY buy championships thing is such garbage. When we did buy players, it didn't work. When we raise them from our own farm system, surprise, it works. Plus, the Sox are the ones trying to buy championships these days, not us

See above. No problem with "buying" championships. It doesn't really work anyways. The Dodgers currently have the highest payroll by far and they aren't world beaters.

The Yankees won championships on the back of drafted talent in Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera, while adding in key free agents. 

I tend to live my life by the motto of "try not to act like a "

And I don't sh!t talk about my sports teams because I really handle it poorly if I were to look dumb. You lose the big one more often than you win it, and loud, a**hole fans look like idiots more often than not.

So, I got no beef with anyone. I hate your team's and will continue to do so. But I love baseball. And I need to hate your teams to love it to the fullest.

I tend to live my life by the motto of "try not to act like a ######"

And I don't sh!t talk about my sports teams because I really handle it poorly if I were to look dumb. You lose the big one more often than you win it, and loud, a**hole fans look like idiots more often than not.

So, I got no beef with anyone. I hate your team's and will continue to do so. But I love baseball. And I need to hate your teams to love it to the fullest.

And I hope you understand that after meeting you, I don't think you would fall into the stereotype I outlined above. So please don't take it as a personal affront. I just don't get how the Yankees can be our 'regional' team when they are 7+ hours away!

And I hope you understand that after meeting you, I don't think you would fall into the stereotype I outlined above. So please don't take it as a personal affront. I just don't get how the Yankees can be our 'regional' team when they are 7+ hours away!

No, I get that. I'm busting your balls! Mostly :p

And they're only 2 hours for me, now. 4.5 from back home (Park in Poughkeepsie and take the train in)

With the added bonus that WNY'ers seem to claim the Yankees as "our" team because they are from NY, even though geographically we are closer to Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and about the same as Cincinnati. Most of these fans haven't even seen the Yankees live FFS.

I like this point.  It's especially weird when you think about the fact that the Bisons were the AAA team for either Pittsburgh or Cleveland for most of their existence.

Whatever, go Tribe.

I like this point.  It's especially weird when you think about the fact that the Bisons were the AAA team for either Pittsburgh or Cleveland for most of their existence.

Whatever, go Tribe.

and now are the AAA affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. But I would venture to guess that less than 10% of WNYers care to know who the Bisons are affiliated with, so not sure that matters. :unsure:

EDIT: Also after playing with Google Maps some more, it turns out the drive to NYC (6h 15m) is comparable to driving to Philly (6h 11m), Baltimore (6h, 17m), Washington DC (6h 55m) and Boston (6h 57m). And I forgot Detroit at 4h 11m.

That makes 11 MLB teams (Blue Jays, Pirates, Indians, Tigers, Reds, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Orioles, Nationals and Red Sox) within a 7 hour drive from Buffalo. Pretty cool.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

and now are the AAA affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. But I would venture to guess that less than 10% of WNYers care to know who the Bisons are affiliated with, so not sure that matters. :unsure:

EDIT: Also after playing with Google Maps some more, it turns out the drive to NYC (6h 15m) is comparable to driving to Philly (6h 11m), Baltimore (6h, 17m), Washington DC (6h 55m) and Boston (6h 57m). And I forgot Detroit at 4h 11m.

That makes 11 MLB teams (Blue Jays, Pirates, Indians, Tigers, Reds, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Orioles, Nationals and Red Sox) within a 7 hour drive from Buffalo. Pretty cool.

I wonder why Buffalonians don't gravitate toward the Bison's parent clubs. Rochestarians have long followed parent clubs of the wings (Orioles and now Twins) minus all the Italians who are given a Yankees pacifier at birth.

I wonder why Buffalonians don't gravitate toward the Bison's parent clubs. Rochestarians have long followed parent clubs of the wings (Orioles and now Twins) minus all the Italians who are given a Yankees pacifier at birth.

I think they did a little more when we were with the Indians for a long time. There were quite a few Cleveland fans around here because of that, but with switching around quite a bit the last few years (Indians -> Mets -> Blue Jays) that connection has been lost. Staying with Toronto for multiple years should help to re-establish that connection.

Hey Boyes,

Your Jays are looking better (won 3 of last 4 and 6 of 9, or something) and they have pretty much all the offence on the DL.  I think they will be fine, but they still have dug themselves quite a hole.

It's still quite a big hole, and to even make the playoffs they need to win at a 92/93 win pace, which is what was projected of the MLB best teams. The pitching is there, but Bautista looks done and with Donaldson on the DL it still looks like an unsustainable blip if you ask me. I just can't have nice sports things apparently  :cry: