The other sports thread

Eleven

Has anyone been following the LPGA/Lexi Thompson debacle? She loses a major tourney due to a 4 stroke penalty (2 strokes for the 1 inch misplacement and 2 strokes for signing an incorrect scorecard) because a viewer emailed the LPGA about her mis-marking the ball. It's a very interesting story.

http://heavy.com/sports/2017/04/lexi-thompson-penalty-video-watch-you-tube-four-stroke-viewer-email-ruling-ana-inspiration/amp/

I can't even figure out what she was doing there.  Why did she mark her ball's position with a coin, pick up the ball, then immediately put it back down?  If she was going to putt right away, why did she even touch the ball?

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about pro golf; just trying to understand how it even came to that.

I can't even figure out what she was doing there.  Why did she mark her ball's position with a coin, pick up the ball, then immediately put it back down?  If she was going to putt right away, why did she even touch the ball?

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about pro golf; just trying to understand how it even came to that.

The golfers draw a straight line on their balls (hehe) and then set the ball up before putting so that mark is on the same line as they want to putt the ball. They all adjust it just before putting. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Btw, I could use a laser to show me the line to putt on and still miss 9/10 times.

Golf is not a sport. If you can do it (regardless of level) while drunk or sitting down, then it's a game. Perhaps a hobby.

Pretty sure I know your thoughts on fishing, bowling and NASCAR now. Lol

That's enough out of both of you.

Come to think of it, there isn't a single sport that I've not played drunk. Maybe basketball? But that doesn't count because I don't play basketball.

Baseball/Softball

Football

Hockey

Skiing

Volleyball

Wake boarding

I may have had a severe drinking problem at some point.

Golf is not a sport. If you can do it (regardless of level) while drunk or sitting down, then it's a game. Perhaps a hobby.

The criteria shouldn't be whether it can be done drunk. Pretty much ALL sports can be played while drunk & as anyone who was ever in a fraternity can attest that is NOT an exaggeration. ;)

The criteria should be, can you actively participate WHILE drinking? (Using that, hockey is a sport. Golf & softball aren't. :p)

The criteria shouldn't be whether it can be done drunk. Pretty much ALL sports can be played while drunk & as anyone who was ever in a fraternity can attest that is NOT an exaggeration. ;)

The criteria should be, can you actively participate WHILE drinking? (Using that, hockey is a sport. Golf & softball aren't. :p)

Are you trying to tell me you can't drink while playing hockey?

The best is the old vodka water bottle. Someone always forgets their water bottle, so maybe they go to take a drink from the bottle that isn't theirs and...

The converse is also fun, using an old vodka bottle as a water bottle.

Then what is the differentiation you're trying to make here? You can't one-hand a golf club. You can't play softball with one hand.

You can be moving from one hole to the next w/ a brew in hand. You can also be lining up your shot, figuring out how the green breaks, etc (all important parts of actually PLAYING the game of golf) all w/ a brew in hand.

And seriously, you've never been out in left field w/ a brew in hand while a softball game was going on? You ABSOLUTELY can play softball w/ one hand. Just set the beer down if the prick at the plate hits it in your direction. If it goes to right, you dont even have to set the beer down.

But, there is no ####ing way you are skating around while a game is going on w/ a brew in hand. Would definitely result in alcohol abuse. ;)