The other sports thread

Eleven

I can't root for the Ravens simply because the whole Ray Lewis thing. I'm all-in on the 49ers!

I like to think of it this way. 5 teams have perfect records in the Superbowl:

San Francisco 5-0

Baltimore 1-0

New York 1-0

Tampa Bay 1-0

New Orleans 1-0

One of these things is not like the others. We're about to lose one of those teams and I'd rather not see the best all time record in the Superbowl be 2-0.

Serial DUI. San Fransisco 0.49ers.

If you don't want to root for criminals on a regular basis, you're not going to be able to watch football.

Being involved in a double murder is a wee bit more serious than what your typical NFL criminal does. On top of that, most NFL criminals don't get touted for their intangibles anywhere near as much as Lewis does. I'm basically numb to watching criminals play football, but to glorify Lewis for things other than his physical play on the field is what really irks me.

Being involved in a double murder is a wee bit more serious than what your typical NFL criminal does. On top of that, most NFL criminals don't get touted for their intangibles anywhere near as much as Lewis does. I'm basically numb to watching criminals play football, but to glorify Lewis for things other than his physical play on the field is what really irks me.

This is EXACTLY the problem.

If what the media said of Lewis "He's a good linebacker. He hits hard and clean. He diagnoses the defense and gets to the right spot" then I would probably move on from hating Ray Lewis.

But it's not what is said about him. I hear "he's pure class." Or "he's a leader." Or other things that horrendously gloss over the fact that he (at best) was in a group that murdered two guys.

The glorification of an individual, who at the very least, was involved in the cover-up of a double murder?

Which is why I don't particularly want the Ravens to win. (Though I desperately wanted them to beat the Cheatriots.)

I like to think of it this way. 5 teams have perfect records in the Superbowl:

San Francisco 5-0

Baltimore 1-0

New York 1-0

Tampa Bay 1-0

New Orleans 1-0

One of these things is not like the others. We're about to lose one of those teams and I'd rather not see the best all time record in the Superbowl be 2-0.

I'm good w/ Frisco going to 5-1, and if they have to go back again in the future (repeatedly) eventually getting to something like 5-97.

Though I really dislike Ray Lewis, I'm probably hoping for him to blow out his ACL around Tuesday and then having the Modell-less Ravens beat the 40-whiners. If Modell were still running the show, I'd probably plug my nose and cheer against the AFC champs. (I CAN'T cheer for the NFC champs unless they play their home games in Na'Orlins. And after Greggggggo's fun and games, I might not be able to root for them either.)

• 1 month later...

Ok. The Marlins are resorting to Groupon for opening day.

That is freaking hilarious.

You can't tell me that franchise wouldn't do better elsewhere; you just can't. Maybe not here (that was a possibility way back when, as some might remember), but, I don't know, Portland or something.

I was a big Nascar fan for a few years starting at about age 8, then lost interest in motor sports, despite remaining a "car guy."

I started watching F1 this season (in HD with surround sound, I might add). Fascinating and entertaining. It's immediately obvious that three time champion Sebastian Vettel is a dick.

I was a big Nascar fan for a few years starting at about age 8, then lost interest in motor sports, despite remaining a "car guy."

I started watching F1 this season (in HD with surround sound, I might add). Fascinating and entertaining. It's immediately obvious that three time champion Sebastian Vettel is a dick.

i kinda lost interest in cars and such. But last year started watching top gear (uk) and its so absurdly funny that i am finding cars and racing entertaining again

Same here. I started watching Top Gear UK about two and a half years ago and have caught up on almost all of the episodes (they're on Netflix, btw). Can't get enough of it- the specials are really good. That got me a little curious about F1, then I saw the ads on NBCSN, decided to record the Australian Grand Prix, got a chance to watch it, and was like "######, this is pretty good." Watched the Malaysian GP yesterday, even better. Figure I'll give it the better part of a season to entice me as a viewer.

Was also thinking about going to the Long Beach GP (which is IndyCar, not F1, but should still be cool).

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I admittedly don't follow F1 and am a Nascar fan, but I saw a headline on ESPN and read the story the other day about F1. It was saying how Vettel apologized for passing his teammate and "ignoring team orders" and, wait for it....winning the race.

Really? Apologizing for winning the race? YOU'RE A RACE CAR DRIVER. YOU PLAY TO (WIN THE RACE).

Then later in the article it mentioned how (I don't remember the names) the 4th place driver did follow team orders and didn't pass the 3rd place driver, and finished in 4th despite clearly being faster and could have finished 3rd. The eventual third place finisher said after the race that he didn't feel he deserved to be on the podium, because he knew his teammate was faster and should have passed him.

None of that sounds like healthy competition to me, and if I was a fan that followed it closely I would be pissed.

One of the interesting parts is the strategy involved because it's a two car team sport. If Vettel tries to overtake Webber (his teammate), and they even touch for a split second, both cars are pretty much instantly destroyed, and the team loses a 1-2 finish and the money that went into the two cars. Not like rubbing in Nascar. If one the cars burns too much fuel trying to overtake the other, it could finish with less than the FIA required 1 liter remaining, causing a disqualification of the car. It could also cause too much wear on the tires, forcing a pit.

So the end of an F1 race between teammates isn't a flat-out burn to the end, it's a balance of all of the make-or-break end-of-race parameters on an open wheels car: fragility, tire wear, and fuel consumption.

That all said, it is neat to watch the equivalent of ground-based jet fighters revving at 19krpm through turns.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Most racing in general has gone to hell, circle track, road course and drag; there are several reasons. One of them is the rise of multi-car teams.

What I'm not sure I like about F1 is the fact that Pirelli is forced to make ###### tires on purpose to promote pit stops because of tire degradation. They could make tires that last all race, but they're not allowed to.

What I'm not sure I like about F1 is the fact that Pirelli is forced to make ###### tires on purpose to promote pit stops because of tire degradation. They could make tires that last all race, but they're not allowed to.

It's got something to do with keeping teams from trying to win a race on fuel mileage by skipping a pit stop. The sanctions have been manipulating the rules and car setups more than usual over the last 5-10 years and it's gotten blatantly obvious to most fans. That's part of why NASCAR has lost a lot of it's fan base. NHRA has gone the same way. You talk to die hard drag racers and most will tell you they can't watch the pros any more.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

One of the interesting parts is the strategy involved because it's a two car team sport. If Vettel tries to overtake Webber (his teammate), and they even touch for a split second, both cars are pretty much instantly destroyed, and the team loses a 1-2 finish and the money that went into the two cars. Not like rubbing in Nascar. If one the cars burns too much fuel trying to overtake the other, it could finish with less than the FIA required 1 liter remaining, causing a disqualification of the car. It could also cause too much wear on the tires, forcing a pit.

So the end of an F1 race between teammates isn't a flat-out burn to the end, it's a balance of all of the make-or-break end-of-race parameters on an open wheels car: fragility, tire wear, and fuel consumption.

That all said, it is neat to watch the equivalent of ground-based jet fighters revving at 19krpm through turns.

I understand the strategy and teamwork that is involved, as there is even some of that in Nascar. But just taking it at face value, nothing about what I described in my last post sounds like good-competition or sport at all, and certainly can't be what fans are looking for. Being told not to win the race when you're a race car driver just shouldn't sit well with anyone.