The other sports thread

Eleven

I meant my loser baseball club that hasn't done a damn thing since 1993 ... :angel: ... ;) .

What do you mean they hadn't done anything since '93? :o They pulled off the VERY rare feat of being 3 time defending champs after only winning 2 times. (Thanks Don.) Of course since '94, they've been about as special as the Expos. ;)

I am a bummed ND fan, but we still had a good season

Nothing to be ashamed about, that's for sure. ND beat some good teams en route to an (heretofore) undefeated record. I just don't think they were mentally prepared for the big one, and certainly, they are outmatched physically. The latter, they were able to overcome this year. The former, no. And that's on the coach and captains.

Seriously. What the hell is this? Super Bowl 27?

I don't know if I was blinded by ND homerism, or my complete and utter disdain for Nick Saban, but I never saw anything like this happening. This is awful. And that sound you hear? That was Te'o dropping to the mid-late 1st round. Not saying he should based on one game, but I can't see him going top-10 now.

I am a bummed ND fan, but we still had a good season

Solace is that nobody expected them to even get to this point. Hopefully they can build on this season going forward.

I don't know if I was blinded by ND homerism, or my complete and utter disdain for Nick Saban, but I never saw anything like this happening. This is awful. And that sound you hear? That was Te'o dropping to the mid-late 1st round. Not saying he should based on one game, but I can't see him going top-10 now.

Solace is that nobody expected them to even get to this point. Hopefully they can build on this season going forward.

It will be tough losing the heart and soul of the defense. Losing 4 starting offensive lineman could be a challenge.

SEC still sets the standard in the FBS. I wanted Alabama to win but I was expecting a 10 point difference, this was unexpected

I just wanted a game. I kind of wanted ND because it's been a while since they were cheated out of one in '93, and even longer since they won one in '88, and Alabama has had an abundance of riches since then. Plus, a few friends are diehard Irish fans. But really, I just wanted a good game.

Didn't get that good game! This is kind of like watching a Stanley Cup Finals sweep when I've got no team to love or hate and just wanted it to go seven.

It will be tough losing the heart and soul of the defense. Losing 4 starting offensive lineman could be a challenge.

Not to mention Te'o and, possibly, Nix, who is the angriest freaking NT I've seen in college ball ever.

What the hell was that between McCarron and Jones?

I just wanted a game. I kind of wanted ND because it's been a while since they were cheated out of one in '93, and even longer since they won one in '88, and Alabama has had an abundance of riches since then. Plus, a few friends are diehard Irish fans. But really, I just wanted a good game.

Didn't get that good game! This is kind of like watching a Stanley Cup Finals sweep when I've got no team to love or hate and just wanted it to go seven.

I wanted a game as well. I get some good bantering out of it and won 50$ in bets. But overall the excitement was gone in the 2nd quarter

Not to mention Te'o and, possibly, Nix, who is the angriest freaking NT I've seen in college ball ever.

What the hell was that between McCarron and Jones?

Alabama has as close to a NFL offensive line as you could find in college football, Te'o looked very small and weak against the Alabama front. I wouldn't be shocked if he fell out of the 1st round.

ND was completely out matched in every aspect of the game.

I believe my friend worded it best when he said the real title game was played a month ago in Atlanta. SEC is a level above.

I didn't believe this, and I found ample evidence not to, but after last night, I have no doubt that LSU, Bama, and Georgia are a level above, SC, Florida, and TAMU are probably a little behind them. There is no doubt, this league should get an automatic bid to the playoffs when they start. Not that they'll need it.

That said, losing bowl games to Louisville, Northwestern, and Clemson shows that outside of Alabama, they are vulnerable in any given game.

Is Nick Saban the best "big game" coach in a generation?

SEC still sets the standard in the FBS. I wanted Alabama to win but I was expecting a 10 point difference, this was unexpected

I think it's more accurate to say Alabama (or whatever team Nick Saban coaches, really) sets the standard. LSU and Florida lost (and Florida lost to a Big East team!), South Carolina barely beat Michigan. The only teams which dominated were Alabama, TA&M, and Georgia, the rest either lost or were very close games. I will be curious to see what kind of teams Urban Meyer puts together once he has a few recruiting classes, I wouldn't put it past him to put together a team which could beat the SEC powers.

I think next year I'll be an adopted A&M fan because I think they have the best shot at unseating Saban's Alabama. Go Johnny Football!

I didn't believe this, and I found ample evidence not to, but after last night, I have no doubt that LSU, Bama, and Georgia are a level above, SC, Florida, and TAMU are probably a little behind them. There is no doubt, this league should get an automatic bid to the playoffs when they start. Not that they'll need it.

That said, losing bowl games to Louisville, Northwestern, and Clemson shows that outside of Alabama, they are vulnerable in any given game.

Is Nick Saban the best "big game" coach in a generation?

Probably. But I still enjoy laughing at how he struggled, then chickened out and ran for the bus with the Dolphins.

<p>

<br />

I think it's more accurate to say Alabama (or whatever team Nick Saban coaches, really) sets the standard.  LSU and Florida lost (and Florida lost to a Big East team!), South Carolina barely beat Michigan.  The only teams which dominated were Alabama, TA&M, and Georgia, the rest either lost or were very close games.  I will be curious to see what kind of teams Urban Meyer puts together once he has a few recruiting classes, I wouldn't put it past him to put together a team which could beat the SEC powers.  <br />

<br />

I think next year I'll be an adopted A&M fan because I think they have the best shot at unseating Saban's Alabama.  Go Johnny Football!<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Probably.  But I still enjoy laughing at how he struggled, then chickened out and ran for the bus with the Dolphins.<br />

<br />

<br />

</p>

A+M def has a shot next year to go all the way, as long as Manziel stays healthy; Ohio State will be back in the mix again, they always seem to do well, although im not a huge fan. I think Alabama will do OK next year, but theyll be losing some key pieces, especially the all star center.

Baseball writer did the right thing today. Elected no one to the hall of fame. Notable first timer eligibility was Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa.

Nice.

Baseball writers did the wrong thing today by failing to put Tim Raines and Jack Morris in there where they belong.

Baseball writers did the wrong thing today by failing to put Tim Raines and Jack Morris in there where they belong.

Screw that. Until Davey Concepcion gets in, nobody else should get in.

Though, yeah, I agree that Raines and Morris are deserving of entry into Cooperstown. Putting 1 or both in (or Dave for that matter - unless he's only eligible through the veterans committee, in which case those guys need to get cracking), would have given a bit more of a stick in the eye to the Roids Warriors than not putting ANYBODY in.

I'd put the steroid users in before him, if for no other reason than the stupidity of what he did--he knowingly did something that he knew for a fact would get him banned if caught.

At least that's a decision that comes straight from the league. This steroid thing is nothing but a bunch of idiot journalists pretending to be important.

I was 13 in 1998 and my main memory from that summer is Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. It was the biggest athletic phenomenon of the past 20 years. Keeping them out of the Hall will not take away those memories--it just makes the Hall look stupid. Put them in and say "May have used steroids."

Done.