The other sports thread

Eleven

?? Is Hurley a horse guy? Or Sully? Or am I missing the point altogether?

Hurley is...he had a nice farm and hunk of a nice stallion that he ran in the Derby, but like pretty much everyone in the industry at one time or another...one moment glory, next moment dust.

You see Rip Simonick there over the summer every now and then. He's owned some too.

On racing, while I like F1 in theory, the races can be boring at times with the lack of passing. The best races are the rainy ones, because everything isn't as locked down. FWIW, MotoGP and World Superbike (motorcycles) to me combines the crazy tech of F1 with (generally) a lot more passing and better racing. I fully admit being a bike guy though, I may be biased. Looks like WSBK and MotoGP are still on Speed Channel.

I'm also pretty excited that some new episodes of Top Gear have shown up on Netflix recently. I finally got around to watching the India special this weekend, good stuff.

That would be wise. 3 Cards were rolling around on the floor in the key and Pitino was holding back tears. Awful injury.

Pitino was outright crying......the bench recoiled in horror.....just a disaster. I'm glad the team won for him. My family was all watching and we had people gagging, gasping, etc.

Pitino is a horse guy as well...big time.....my first reaction was that was something you run to your steed and put it down. Maybe the most horrific sports thing I watched live next to Malarchuk.

Pitino was outright crying......the bench recoiled in horror.....just a disaster. I'm glad the team won for him. My family was all watching and we had people gagging, gasping, etc.

Pitino is a horse guy as well...big time.....my first reaction was that was something you run to your steed and put it down. Maybe the most horrific sports thing I watched live next to Malarchuk.

I thought McGahee's college injury was worse personally.

Someone compare to Theismann so I can decide whether to watch it or not.

There wasn't a closeup.....but he jumped, landed, and you'd expect an ankle or knee to go, but I think he did both bones just below the knee. At the time you have to wonder if they could save it...that's how unusual and bad it was. No side impact or head on.....straight down on his own. Any other injury like that I have seen has had 300 lb men crashing on a limb, not the poor guy's own power.

Surprised he didn't go into shock myself.

There wasn't a closeup.....but he jumped, landed, and you'd expect an ankle or knee to go, but I think he did both bones just below the knee. At the time you have to wonder if they could save it...that's how unusual and bad it was. No side impact or head on.....straight down on his own. Any other injury like that I have seen has had 300 lb men crashing on a limb, not the poor guy's own power.

Surprised he didn't go into shock myself.

So I'm not watching. Thanks--all good.

Yeah, replays of that one are not for the faint of heart. Like Drano said, he lands, and maybe you expect the injury to be a rolled ankle or a tweaked knee,...

but his tibia and maybe his fibia just seem to unexpectedly break like twigs, and of course the lower part of the break just bends all sorts of grossly weird as he continues to collapse to the floor.

Reports were that teammates were physically stunned, some even throwing up on the bench as he screamed.

I'm flabbergasted at the public support for some guy who broke his leg playing basketball. You'd think someone crashed a plane into the Whitehouse gym.

It was outrageous. I get you feel bad for the guy but holy smokes if you weren't watching you'd thought he suffered a life threatening injury.

It was outrageous. I get you feel bad for the guy but holy smokes if you weren't watching you'd thought he suffered a life threatening injury.

If it's any consolation, many of the spectators of that sport rarely see injuries of that gross caliber. We've lived through the Malarchuks, Zedniks, Audettes, and Maxpacs, and watched them play again; we may be a little more conditioned.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

He did Ink.

You have blood supply issues, amputation, infection, shock.....all on the table with something like that.

You never expect to see that happen without contact. All the other players on the court collapsed, the coaches were crying, the players on the bench jumped in each other's laps. It was f'd up in real time.

Like I said, other than Malarchuk, that was teh craziest thing I've seen in sports in real time.

He did Ink.

You have blood supply issues, amputation, infection, shock.....all on the table with something like that.

You never expect to see that happen without contact. All the other players on the court collapsed, the coaches were crying, the players on the bench jumped in each other's laps. It was f'd up in real time.

Like I said, other than Malarchuk, that was teh craziest thing I've seen in sports in real time.

And those players saw a hell of a lot more than any of us did. It was right in front of them so they got the added bonus of seeing the bone sticking out of his skin. I don't think anyone would have reacted any differently than those players did.