The other sports thread

Eleven

My god son was just promoted to starting left tackle for the UB Bulls. Starter was a senior who broke his leg in yesterday's game. Hate to see a kid go out that way but I am happy that Little John is getting his shot to start now. Not bad for a soph.

Little John is 6' 7" and about 300lbs. And solid. I went to high school with his dad. He was an LT in school too. Had pro tryouts with the NY GIants, Ottawa RoughRiders, and the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL. Little John is a chip off the old block.

Jim Leyland is stepping down as manager of the Detroit Tigers.

My favorite Leyland story is the one where he was a young kid back in ancient times and gave my grandfather sass. My grandad, then a high school math teacher (they taught on clay tablets in the days when jim was young and rode dinosaurs to school), grabbed him by the collar and shoved him against the lockers and lectured him on respect.

Huzzah for hometown heroes. Sad the Tigers didn't get to the World Series this year.

My god son was just promoted to starting left tackle for the UB Bulls. Starter was a senior who broke his leg in yesterday's game. Hate to see a kid go out that way but I am happy that Little John is getting his shot to start now. Not bad for a soph.

Little John is 6' 7" and about 300lbs. And solid. I went to high school with his dad. He was an LT in school too. Had pro tryouts with the NY GIants, Ottawa RoughRiders, and the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL. Little John is a chip off the old block.

Missed this yesterday, but that's pretty awesome.

• 1 month later...

I really don't understand cricket at all. Its not on/I don't watch it enough/ever to become interested. It really is a tragedy, since the majority of my ancestry is Welsh (guess my last name).

It it not a sport that most Western Hemisphere folks come into contact with (the very notable exception being those in the West Indies). I actually learned about it in Wales, where I was stuck at an inn with a fever (got lost climbing, and the temperatures plummeted), and I had two TV choices: some stuff in Welsh, or cricket. So I learned cricket. Love it.

Edited by Eleven

It it not a sport that most Western Hemisphere folks come into contact with (the very notable exception being those in the West Indies). I actually learned about it in Wales, where I was stuck at an inn with a fever (got lost climbing, and the temperatures plummeted), and I had two TV choices: some stuff in Welsh, or cricket. So I learned cricket. Love it.

They actually have Welsh language television? Might as well be in Pictish. No one speaks it anymore. I'd guess about 15% of the country actually understands the language.

They actually have Welsh language television? Might as well be in Pictish. No one speaks it anymore. I'd guess about 15% of the country actually understands the language.

There has been a major revival. I'd bet half the country is fluent right now. Even when I was there (it's been a long time!), a lot of people spoke it and there was pride in the ability to do so. Some strange young woman wrote two pages in my journal, each was in Welsh. No translation. (I'm sure I know what she meant, though.) Signs were primarily in Welsh, and secondarily in English, for example. Newspapers were very much mostly in English, though; I'm not even sure that I saw a Welsh-language paper.

EDIT: Of course, location within Wales might play some part in it. I was in Snowdonia, and, more specifically, in Betws-y-Coed (a name that need do no more to betray its heritage). Maybe the southern part is more English or something.

Edited by Eleven

There has been a major revival. I'd bet half the country is fluent right now. Even when I was there (it's been a long time!), a lot of people spoke it and there was pride in the ability to do so. Some strange young woman wrote two pages in my journal, each was in Welsh. No translation. (I'm sure I know what she meant, though.) Signs were primarily in Welsh, and secondarily in English, for example. Newspapers were very much mostly in English, though; I'm not even sure that I saw a Welsh-language paper.

EDIT: Of course, location within Wales might play some part of it. I was in Snowdonia, and, more specifically, in Betws-y-Coed (a name that need do no more to betray its heritage). Maybe the southern part is more English or something.

Well....I'm at a loss then. Lol

Well....I'm at a loss then. Lol

Just use a lot of the following letters: F, Y, D, W. Randomly. Put a P in there once in a while. And don't forget to substitute one for another, so "Cardiff" becomes "Caerdydd." Yff w pfollow my methydd, you'll be writing Welsh in no time!

I'm going to try for sleep (unlikely), so noson y flwyddyn.

Edited by Eleven