The other sports thread

Eleven

Despite his love and bias for Boston sports I love Simmons. He's not afraid to fight faints the powers that be. I hope he ends up at Fox Sports because I want them to legitimately put up a fight as an ESPN rival (it'll never happen but some real competition would be nice).

I think Simmons goes home to Boston and starts his own media, though. Maybe picks up a local radio spot that gets simulcast somewhere and writes away.

I can't stand him.

Given his focus on writing, I think SI is a natural.

I can't stand him.

Given his focus on writing, I think SI is a natural.

I used to hate him, but he's so hated by the people of ESPN that it's obvious he's doing something right. He's a self-righteous but at least he isn't shy about it. He slams ESPN and the NFL when everybody else at ESPN ducks for cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Dean Potter famous climber, slackliner, wingsuit basejumper and all around extreme athlete died this past weekend flying the wingsuit in Yosemite along with a buddy. Thats 2 more wingsuit deaths to make it an even 50 in the last 18 months worldwide. These guys know the risks and Potter was vocal about that essentially saying we are all on borrowed time. There are some good videos on youtube involving Potter and what he had to say about the sport as well as climbing and slacklining. 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of local notes:  

1. How 'bout them Horned Frogs?  TCU was down 8-1 in the 8th inning of the NCAA Super Regionals against NC State Monday night and came back to win, so they're still in the NCAA baseball playoffs.

2. Remember the name Joey Gallo if you follow baseball.  He played his first game for the surging Texas Rangers tonight, being called up to replace the injured but perennial MVP of the team, 3B Adrian Beltre.  First ever major league at bat, Gallo hit a single that scored two runs.  Second at bat he cranked a no-doubt upper deck homer for two more runs, becoming the first Texas Ranger ever to drive in 4 runs in his first big league game.  Next at bat he hit a double.  He closed out the night with a strikeout and a walk.  Freaking amazing start for a guy who skipped right past AAA ball.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

That Gallo kid is huge.  It seems like they have a few linebacker sized players down there in Texas.  Just out of curiosity, I just checked out their roster online and noticed the name Delino DeShields.  My immediate thought was that he has to be like 50 years old.  I had no idea he has a kid in the majors.

The Rangers have had a lot of change since their World Series seasons.  They have a new manager and had a HORRIBLE start this year but are now second in the majors in runs scored and have climbed up to 2 games over .500 and a half game out of a wildcard spot, and only 5 games out of first in their division.  The youth they've brought up seems to be more than ready to play in the bigs (including Delino) and the team is playing better as a team than they have in recent years - really playing for each other, executing outstanding defensive plays and finally getting timely hitting again.

The one spot that drives me nuts is they brought back crackhead Josh Hamilton.  he played with the Rangers in the World Series years and was a catalyst on the offense.  Then as the team declined, so did he, and he signed as a free agent with the Angels.  On his way out the door he slammed the DFW area ("not a 'baseball' town") then proceeded to bomb in L.A., got divorced and started drinking and drugs again.  The Rangers picked him back up in a trade with the Angels for a bag of broken bats or something and he's starting to play with the team.  I hate the guy, but he's starting to swing the bat well again - they brought him in to pinch hit a couple games ago, down a run with two out and two on in the ninth and he cranked a double into the gap for the walk-off win.  Winning is softening my stance against him...

But really everyone is contributing.  There were dead spots in their batting order before so you could just pitch around the threats.  Now the hits are coming from all over.  Fun to watch a team on the rise again.... should be fun with the Bills & Sabres.

The Rangers have had a lot of change since their World Series seasons.  They have a new manager and had a HORRIBLE start this year but are now second in the majors in runs scored and have climbed up to 2 games over .500 and a half game out of a wildcard spot, and only 5 games out of first in their division.  The youth they've brought up seems to be more than ready to play in the bigs (including Delino) and the team is playing better as a team than they have in recent years - really playing for each other, executing outstanding defensive plays and finally getting timely hitting again.

The one spot that drives me nuts is they brought back crackhead Josh Hamilton.  he played with the Rangers in the World Series years and was a catalyst on the offense.  Then as the team declined, so did he, and he signed as a free agent with the Angels.  On his way out the door he slammed the DFW area ("not a 'baseball' town") then proceeded to bomb in L.A., got divorced and started drinking and drugs again.  The Rangers picked him back up in a trade with the Angels for a bag of broken bats or something and he's starting to play with the team.  I hate the guy, but he's starting to swing the bat well again - they brought him in to pinch hit a couple games ago, down a run with two out and two on in the ninth and he cranked a double into the gap for the walk-off win.  Winning is softening my stance against him...

But really everyone is contributing.  There were dead spots in their batting order before so you could just pitch around the threats.  Now the hits are coming from all over.  Fun to watch a team on the rise again.... should be fun with the Bills & Sabres.

Interested to see what the locals think of the Hamilton move. I picked him up on a flyer in fantasy and am rooting for him to play well and get his life back on track, but I assumed the Dallas folks might have mixed feelings since he did slam them after leaving.

That Gallo kid is huge. It seems like they have a few linebacker sized players down there in Texas. Just out of curiosity, I just checked out their roster online and noticed the name Delino DeShields. My immediate thought was that he has to be like 50 years old. I had no idea he has a kid in the majors.

He meant Joey Callo with a "C".

Interested to see what the locals think of the Hamilton move. I picked him up on a flyer in fantasy and am rooting for him to play well and get his life back on track, but I assumed the Dallas folks might have mixed feelings since he did slam them after leaving.

I've got a pretty full outfield so I didn't pick him up, but I recommended him to some of our teams who weren't doing very well. I had a feeling he would come out blazing and since he has, I'd try to get as much from him in a trade. I'm not sure if you're in a keeper or a redraft league, but if it's keeper, there's a lot better youth options struggling you could move him for. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

I've got a pretty full outfield so I didn't pick him up, but I recommended him to some of our teams who weren't doing very well. I had a feeling he would come out blazing and since he has, I'd try to get as much from him in a trade. I'm not sure if you're in a keeper or a redraft league, but if it's keeper, there's a lot better youth options struggling you could move him for. 

It is a keeper but one of those silly ones where keepers are slotted in the top 6 picks. I already have those covered with top 25 players.

I don't think there is much of a trade market for him at this point, but his history as a AL MVP a few years back give him more potential upside than the standard end of roster filler. He's the first guy i'll drop if I need to make a move but right now he's just a hold and watch kind of guy.

He's getting standing ovations at the ballpark.

It's definitely not my sport then.  

I turned it on last night, and then flipped back and forth between that and regular season baseball. I think I watched more baseball than finals. I did watch the overtime though.

It's not my league either. The whole sport is just waiting to see who gets to score last.

"Amphibious Pitcher Makes Debut"

If only there was a version of spellcheck that corrects stupidity...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25208984/look-this-pat-venditte-headline-was-probably-inevitable

One of the best Internet comments I've seen all year was "Ricky watches baseball."  If you watch TPB, you get it; if not, you don't.

I turned it on last night, and then flipped back and forth between that and regular season baseball. I think I watched more baseball than finals. I did watch the overtime though.

It's not my league either. The whole sport is just waiting to see who gets to score last.

Very simplified way of looking at it.

It has all the same intangibles of football and hockey. Will, desire, and who steps up when it counts and who disappears. If you sit down and really watch it, you'll find many of the same things you like in other sports.