The other sports thread

Eleven

Are people over there very surprised by his move? I heard a comment after they were bounced from the tourney that made me fully expect him to leave. He said something to the effect of "they will be back here", meaning back in the tourney again. The choice of words felt very awkward to me, like he went out of his way to say "they" instead of "we".

I think it was a coin flip for most people. Because he only had one tourney appearance, in which they lost, I think there was some hope a major school wouldn't come head hunting yet. Everyone knew he was gone, just not necessarily this year.

Well, I don't think you can really hold this against UB -- this happens all the time. Hurley is going to make something like 4X or 5X what he was making at UB, and moves into a power conference after just 2 years as a head coach. It's not UB's fault that he's taking the offer. (Although the report about them offering him $551K so that he could be the highest paid coach in the conference, just ahead of the other guy making $550K, does make them look kinda bush league.)

The important steps now for UB are to hire another good young coach who can keep their progress going, and to increase their local presence. It seemed like there was almost no local media coverage of the team, and pretty lousy attendance, despite an exciting team that won its conference tournament and made the NCAAs, and no local competition for sports fans' attention (with football season over and hockey being an abomination). They need to get butts in the seats and the local sports media to pay more attention.

I'd like to know how much of a raise that 550k was before calling it bush league. Anyway, I agree with you on the attendance, but the only way that's happening is to remain competitive. Having 1-2 seasons of success followed by 3 of rebuilding has always been the problem. For whatever reason they haven't been able to maintain a stable base of quality recruits. Luckily Moss is back and the back court is young, so maybe that turnaround starts now. Now we just gave to hope we don't lose recruits because Hurley bounced.

Well, I don't think you can really hold this against UB -- this happens all the time.  Hurley is going to make something like 4X or 5X what he was making at UB, and moves into a power conference after just 2 years as a head coach.  It's not UB's fault that he's taking the offer.  (Although the report about them offering him $551K so that he could be the highest paid coach in the conference, just ahead of the other guy making $550K, does make them look kinda bush league.)

The important steps now for UB are to hire another good young coach who can keep their progress going, and to increase their local presence.  It seemed like there was almost no local media coverage of the team, and pretty lousy attendance, despite an exciting team that won its conference tournament and made the NCAAs, and no local competition for sports fans' attention (with football season over and hockey being an abomination).  They need to get butts in the seats and the local sports media to pay more attention.

I'm not holding it "against" UB; I'm saying I can't take its athletic programs seriously.  Clearly, the coaches don't.  Smaller schools in lesser conferences (e.g., Gonzaga) are able to attract and retain talent.  UB is not.  Will not be.

So blow it up.  Return sports to the D-III level that they were (and let's face it, they're not any more entertaining at D-I than they were at D-III) and spend the money on education.

Seriously, is a "thriller" football matchup of the Bulls against Western Michigan any better than UB-Hofstra was 25 years ago?

Edited by Eleven

I think it was a coin flip for most people. Because he only had one tourney appearance, in which they lost, I think there was some hope a major school wouldn't come head hunting yet. Everyone knew he was gone, just not necessarily this year.

I'd like to know how much of a raise that 550k was before calling it bush league. Anyway, I agree with you on the attendance, but the only way that's happening is to remain competitive. Having 1-2 seasons of success followed by 3 of rebuilding has always been the problem. For whatever reason they haven't been able to maintain a stable base of quality recruits. Luckily Moss is back and the back court is young, so maybe that turnaround starts now. Now we just gave to hope we don't lose recruits because Hurley bounced.

I think it was a good raise on a %age basis, but by taking the "other guy plus $1K" approach, they still managed to make it seem chintzy.  It was a pre-TP Buffalo Bills move.  When you know you have a hot commodity that is going to attract other offers, you have to avoid moves that are bound to leave a bad impression. 

I'd guess that they could've worked out a $600K salary instead of $551K -- and then for $49K they don't seem like cheapskates and don't add a straw to the "let's move up in class" side of the scale in Hurley's thought process.

I'm not holding it "against" UB; I'm saying I can't take its athletic programs seriously.  Clearly, the coaches don't.  Smaller schools in lesser conferences (e.g., Gonzaga) are able to attract and retain talent.  UB is not.  Will not be.

So blow it up.  Return sports to the D-III level that they were (and let's face it, they're not any more entertaining at D-I than they were at D-III) and spend the money on education.

Seriously, is a "thriller" football matchup of the Bulls against Western Michigan any better than UB-Hofstra was 25 years ago?

I completely agree on football, but a basketball program costs so much less and is much more achievable for a starting-from-scratch program like UB -- and when done right can really create a fan base, alumni support, etc.

I think it was a good raise on a %age basis, but by taking the "other guy plus $1K" approach, they still managed to make it seem chintzy.  It was a pre-TP Buffalo Bills move.  When you know you have a hot commodity that is going to attract other offers, you have to avoid moves that are bound to leave a bad impression

I'd guess that they could've worked out a $600K salary instead of $551K -- and then for $49K they don't seem like cheapskates and don't add a straw to the "let's move up in class" side of the scale in Hurley's thought process.

I completely agree on football, but a basketball program costs so much less and is much more achievable for a starting-from-scratch program like UB -- and when done right can really create a fan base, alumni support, etc.

Exactly.  Like how Gonzaga is able to hold on to Mark Few.  Think the Pac-12 never came calling for him?

Edited by Eleven

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2015/04/10/hurley-had-change-in-heart-after-ub-mishandled-situation/

Basically saying what Freeman said. I guess it's possible, but I'm skeptical that offering $600k instead of $551k to "show him how much we wanted him" would have overridden a 300% pay increase. Everybody has a price.

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2015/04/10/hurley-had-change-in-heart-after-ub-mishandled-situation/

Basically saying what Freeman said. I guess it's possible, but I'm skeptical that offering $600k instead of $551k to "show him how much we wanted him" would have overridden a 300% pay increase. Everybody has a price.

Certainly money talks, but a critical fact is that Hurley apparently was put off by White's handling of the matter and so didn't sign the extension -- and was then approached by ASU.  If White had made Hurley comfortable and he had signed it before being contacted by ASU, it's likely the terms of the extension would've prohibited him from bailing (not to mention his personal sense of obligation to honor it).

Bucky's article reminded me of TG/LQ's handling of the Drury extension.  If accurate, White is guilty of hamhandedness that approaches professional malpractice.

Jon Bones Jones with yet another ###### arrest. This time because he was high as ###### and ran a red light... Three car accident ensued. He fled the scene because he was on coke and there was coke in his car.

I like a coke now and then.  Maybe about once a month?  I like the Mexican ones, you know, with the real sugar instead of corn syrup.  Did they bust him with too much "real sugar"?

Apparently, Floyd Mayweather's team has convinced MGM Grand to deny/revoke press credentials to two reporters who had reported on his history of domestic violence, Rachel Nichols and Michelle Beadle.

All of the sudden, I don't feel like watching this fight tonight.

Apparently, Floyd Mayweather's team has convinced MGM Grand to deny/revoke press credentials to two reporters who had reported on his history of domestic violence, Rachel Nichols and Michelle Beadle.

Yeah I'm annoyed at how many people are creaming themselves over it. this fight and Mayweather. Edited by inkman

Yeah I'm annoyed at how many people are creaming themselves over it. ###### this fight and ###### Mayweather.

I like boxing, so I kind of want to see it.  I usually root for an American over a foreigner, but I can't tonight.  We all know the crime; the (attempted) cover-up is now bothering me more.

I like boxing, so I kind of want to see it.  I usually root for an American over a foreigner, but I can't tonight.  We all know the crime; the (attempted) cover-up is now bothering me more.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink: :blink:  :doh:  

I've been against Floyd for years now. No rooting for a guy who beats women.

Pacquiao's biggest wart is tax evasion.

The guy who beats women or the guy who tried to beat the system? I'll take Manny, please.

Boxing needs Floyd Mayweather, and that's why he knows he can get away with anything.

I've been against Floyd for years now. No rooting for a guy who beats women.

Pacquiao's biggest wart is tax evasion.

The guy who beats women or the guy who tried to beat the system? I'll take Manny, please.

Boxing needs Floyd Mayweather, and that's why he knows he can get away with anything.

Apparently he can get away with squelching the voices of those who report on (specifically his) violence against women, too.

Apparently he can get away with squelching the voices of those who report on (specifically his) violence against women, too.

The important thing is that he can't. All he's done is stopped them from watching the fight among the press in the arena. They can still watch on their own right, can still write, can still tweet and can still fight against him and others like him. This was a big mistake by the Mayweather camp.