Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

Nashville currently sits on the floor in terms of cap spent. They have $29m in cap space right now. The Flyers have $7.8m, including Pronger's contract. They have to know Pronger is not coming back otherwise they are really handcuffing themselves this season.

Timonen is on the books at $6.3m this season, UFA next. That covers most of the cap hit and makes roughly a $800k difference for next year... $800k for Weber vs. Timonen.. no brainer.

I still think the Preds match. It's really not a huge cap hit for a franchise defensman. I'm not even sure they look to trade him, but you never know.

If he didn't want to be in Nashville, he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet. All he would've had to do is play out the year and be a UFA if he really didn't want to be there.

He wanted to get one of these massive contracts while they're still available under the current CBA. That wasn't going to happen with Nashville, so he forced their hand. Now he's got that contract and he will be in Nashville for years. With their current situation, there's no way they walk away from him.

I thought this was about Mike Weber for about 15 seconds.

So did I. I thought, WTF? How did Philly sign Mike Weber? And look at those numbers!! Took a few moments to get my bearings and realize it was Shea.

I should have added his first name in the topic :P

Have read a couple more forums and there is quite a few who actually think it's 14 years 100 mill. I think it would take Crosby like average to get Weber sign an offer sheet. If he signed for 7,1 mill average he must be in some sort of panic for the new CBA.

Note: as just discussed on WGR (but I was pretty sure that this was the case before that), they Preds cannot trade him before the offer sheet deadline, nor can they trade him if they match. They have three choices: (1) let him walk and get four picks from a perennial playoff team who just added a great defenseman, (2) match the offer sheet, play him for a year, then trade him next July, or (3) match the offer sheet and keep him long term.

I did not know that. They can, however, negotiate with Philly I suppose — essentially strike a deal where they agree not to match, if Philly agrees to take the four picks back for something better. That make Holmgren look smarter. Other than the stupid "unspoken rule" why wouldn't Darcy make a similar offer to Kane?

Ok Nashville matches it and we trade for him. Giving up Myers Ehrhoff and ....

Yeah i am just dreaming. But why is our team so unintersting for free agents.

I think the cap favors the big team with big media outlets etc. Buffalo just doesn't have the standing. Ok i will stop i am crying like a baby here.

I'll keep Myers and Ehrhoff thanks.

He wanted to get one of these massive contracts while they're still available under the current CBA. That wasn't going to happen with Nashville, so he forced their hand. Now he's got that contract and he will be in Nashville for years. With their current situation, there's no way they walk away from him.

I generally agree, although I'm not sure Nashville wouldn't have given him a huge, long-term deal. It sounded like they were ready to do so with Suter.

Either way, though, Weber gets what he wants and, I would guess, it also works out for Nashville, because I think they will match and then they will have what they want -- Weber locked up long-term.

Hhahaha, I don't mind Mike but damn I'd sign up for four firsts for him!

This brings me to a question I have, you dont just get 4 1sts do you? We would have for Vanek and Nash will for Weber but its dependent on the value of the player. I mean for someone like Connelly you'd get a free morris dancing lesson and a slap, not 4 1st's, right?

Dreger was saying that they were working on a trade, so i wouldnt doubt if the Predators let him walk and take the 4 1st rounders. Why would they be working on a trade to get rid of him but match it?

Because they can get more than 4 first rounders in a trade. So if they keep him, they could either keep him long-term, or wait until next offseason and trade him for more. They'll all be late first rounders.

I'll keep Myers and Ehrhoff thanks.

100% Agreed. Myers is untradable in my mind. His worst case scenario is a top defensive pairing on the team. His best case scenario? Smoother skating Chris Pronger.

You don't trade a guy like that. I know Shea Weber is better now, but not that much better and certainly doesn't have the upside.

Besides, like I said above, there is no way Nashville is losing Weber.

Per Twitter: Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

Visual Breakdown as follows:

Year 1: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 2: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 3: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 4: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 5: 4M + 8M (SB) = 12M

Year 6: 4M + 8M (SB) = 12M

Year 7: 6M

Year 8: 6M

Year 9: 6M

Year 10: 6M

Year 11: 3M

Year 12: 1M

Year 13: 1M

Year 14: 1M

Total Deal Value = 110, AAV = $7.86M

Discuss

I think the Flyers are idiots for the offer sheet because I think it's going to get matched. Dreger (I think) reported that the Flyers, Red Wings, Rangers and Sharks were all in deep trade talks for Weber, when Philly just got impatient and threw out the offer sheet. If the Preds match that means they can't trade Weber until 1 calendar year from the time they match. So Philly, at the very least, can't get Weber until this time next year. And then, what are the chances Poile will want to deal with Holmgren after this? If he's dealing Weber, he'll be getting phenomenal offers from just about every team. If I'm him, Philly is officially on the bottom of my list and nothing short of Giroux gets them Weber. But that's me.

The only way in which Holmgren doesn't look dumb is if the Preds don't match...in which case I'd gladly give up 4 late firsts for Weber.

Down Goes Brown@DownGoesBrown

Weber: "I signed long-term with the Flyers because I want to win a Cup, and this seems like the easiest way to wind up doing that in LA."

:clapping:

"F"!

Figures it would be the Flyers.

I would be surprised if Nashville doesn't match and I don't think they will keep everyone in suspense for the 7 days.

Could they pull a NBA style "sign and trade"? Although, I really do think they will keep Weber. IMO, he is the best in the league. IMO, they wouldn't dare let him go on the heals of loosing Suter.

I generally agree, although I'm not sure Nashville wouldn't have given him a huge, long-term deal. It sounded like they were ready to do so with Suter.

Either way, though, Weber gets what he wants and, I would guess, it also works out for Nashville, because I think they will match and then they will have what they want -- Weber locked up long-term.

They would go long term, but I don't think they would have been so anxious to do a crazy front loading of a contract.

Per Twitter: Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

Visual Breakdown as follows:

Year 1: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 2: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 3: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 4: 1M + 13M (SB) = 14M

Year 5: 4M + 8M (SB) = 12M

Year 6: 4M + 8M (SB) = 12M

Year 7: 6M

Year 8: 6M

Year 9: 6M

Year 10: 6M

Year 11: 3M

Year 12: 1M

Year 13: 1M

Year 14: 1M

Total Deal Value = 110, AAV = $7.86M

Discuss

Smells like cap circumvention a la Kovi. But it seems like the league doesn't care any more about that.

Archived