Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

When I saw "Sabres trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy," my mind went to a deep, dark place and thought that it meant the trade had been "busted up." Then, I realized I'm dumb. Either way, Darcy's level is clearly over 9000 at this point.

Also, and I know I'm the guy who keeps bringing in baseball analogies, but this past offseason saw the Yankees acquire a hot young pitcher from Seattle in exchange for New York's hot young catching prospect, and the pitcher developed shoulder issues during spring training that will keep him out until sometime next year. There were calls that the Mariners GM had deceived the Yankees by shipping them off damaged goods, but both sides noted that there was a medical/physical screening process before the trade was complete.

I'm assuming that in this case as well, Dallas was completely aware of Roy's issues if they did their due diligence (who doesn't like alliteration?).

I really hope Darcy called "No givsies backsies" when he made this deal

I would think that the players would go through physicals before deals are finalized, or that they have to disclose pre-existing injuries. Maybe Roys shoulder injury just happened while he was packing up his closet to move to Dallas?

I'm with D.Drane on this one. Dealing takes a fair amount of goodwill between GM's. What do you think Joe Mieuwendyk's goodwill meter is at this afternoon if he was unaware of shoulder issues?

Me too. Quickest way for Darcy to find himself alone on an island is to knowingly trade damaged goods without disclosing it. Hopefully both teams were fully aware of the physical condition of the players involved.

Mike Heika@MikeHeika

On Roy surgery, he had shoulder pain last season and played through it. Planned to do same this season. Stars felt now the time to fix it.

He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas. Had surgery in Dallas.

Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ``we want the best Derek Roy we can get.''

DR knew what he was trading away with Roy. Then he used his sith mind tricks and told joe everything is FINE and laughed menacingly.

All jokes aside both parties most have known about the injury. No GM makes trade with out researching the player first.

Mike Heika@MikeHeika

On Roy surgery, he had shoulder pain last season and played through it. Planned to do same this season. Stars felt now the time to fix it.

He was cleared medically and this was discovered in a full physical in Dallas. Had surgery in Dallas.

Stars GM said Roy could have played through it, but ``we want the best Derek Roy we can get.''

Do they have a time machine?

or better yet

I thought he had shoulder surgery, not heart surgery! (you could substitute heart with Balls too)

Me too. Quickest way for Darcy to find himself alone on an island is to knowingly trade damaged goods without disclosing it. Hopefully both teams were fully aware of the physical condition of the players involved.

If the shoulder issues weren't disclosed the trade would have been voided, I'm very sure of that. This seems to be negativity on part of the Sabres board for no real reason.

Meh. Haven't we gotten plenty of players in trades that we later found out were injured? I seem to remember a broken wrist recently.

If the shoulder issues weren't disclosed the trade would have been voided, I'm very sure of that. This seems to be negativity on part of the Sabres board for no real reason.

Whatever. I'll see you first before determining my own motivation next time.

Oh, and see trade between Edmonton and LA (Ryan Smyth for Colin Fraser) for example of one team trading damaged goods knowingly without disclosure and not having the trade voided by the league.

Mike Heika@MikeHeika

Seems like this should stop the "Darcy negotiated in bad faith" talk. They knew about the injury and still went through with the trade. Curious if the Sabres knew about the injury. Interesting that they feel the best Derek Roy they can get is one who misses all of camp and perhaps a quarter of the season.

Seems like this should stop the "Darcy negotiated in bad faith" talk. They knew about the injury and still went through with the trade. Curious if the Sabres knew about the injury. Interesting that they feel the best Derek Roy they can get is one who misses all of camp and perhaps a quarter of the season.

Just to square this away for those inclined to yell, "stop the negativity"...... Nobody, not Drane, not X, not myself, accused or even hinted that Darcy acted in an improper way. What was said was essentially, I hope this wasn't a bad faith trade because that wouldn't look good for the organization.

Personally, I am glad that tweet indicated that Dallas was aware of the shoulder issue. I wonder if his shoulder had a negative effect on his trade value?

Agreed. I'm a little uneasy with this news and I'm hoping it turns out that both teams were fully aware of the situation.

So how did the NHL justify the decision to let the trade stand? Here's what Bryan Lewis, NHL Supervisor of Officials, had to say:

"A shoulder that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post or an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession, and therefore Roy would be deemed to be in possession or control of the shoulder, allowed to shoot and have surgery even though the one foot would be in the bar in advance of the shoulder.

"Roy had possession and control of his shoulder. The rebound off the goalie does not change anything. It is his shoulder then to shoot or have surgery albeit a foot may or may not be in the bar prior to."

"Did he or did he not have possession and control? Our view was yes, he did. He played the shoulder from his foot to his stick, shot and had surgery."

+1+1

So Roy, whom I'm glad is gone mainly because this team is WAY too small, played last year with a shoulder injury. What a poor locker room guy and pus#y. No heart or leadership. And this coming off a quad tendon being torn off the bone which the team doc said would take 12 to 18 months to come back from? The Sabres' threw him in game seven of a play-off series, having not played since December? How many months post surgery? He wanted to play? What a puss# and non-team player! What's the Bull Frog( oh it's Dog or Chris, or wh#re advertising guy) have to say? That's right he said in scrum, "take it easy." What a locker room cancer. Oh, but whatever Paul Hamilton says is gospel Huge LOL Understand, I liked the trade for Ott.

P.S. (How many dentist, eye doc, or injury attorney ads can WGR run at the same time b4 they lose credibility with listeners who have even a modecum of brains?)

+1+1

So Roy, whom I'm glad is gone mainly because this team is WAY too small, played last year with a shoulder injury. What a poor locker room guy and pus#y. No heart or leadership. And this coming off a quad tendon being torn off the bone which the team doc said would take 12 to 18 months to come back from? The Sabres' threw him in game seven of a play-off series, having not played since December? How many months post surgery? He wanted to play? What a puss# and non-team player! What's the Bull Frog( oh it's Dog or Chris, or wh#re advertising guy) have to say? That's right he said in scrum, "take it easy." What a locker room cancer. Oh, but whatever Paul Hamilton says is gospel Huge LOL Understand, I liked the trade for Ott.

P.S. (How many dentist, eye doc, or injury attorney ads can WGR run at the same time b4 they lose credibility with listeners who have even a modecum of brains?)

Maybe Roy should have done the manly thing and put his pride on a shelf along with his a$$?. If all of his performance problems were related to rushing back from injuries too soon, then he must have considered himself so important that playing injured and hurting team performance was more important than just sitting out and healing.

Datsyuk had the humility to take the rest of the regular season off to get knee surgery so that he wouldn't hurt his team in the playoffs. Crosby made sure he didn't rush himself back from injuries and potentially hurt the Penguins chances for years to come. Maybe Roy should have done the same.

Just because you can play injured, doesn't mean you should.

Maybe Roy should have done the manly thing and put his pride on a shelf along with his a$$?. If all of his performance problems were related to rushing back from injuries too soon, then he must have considered himself so important that playing injured and hurting team performance was more important than just sitting out and healing.

Datsyuk had the humility to take the rest of the regular season off to get knee surgery so that he wouldn't hurt his team in the playoffs. Crosby made sure he didn't rush himself back from injuries and potentially hurt the Penguins chances for years to come. Maybe Roy should have done the same.

So, Roy put himself in the lineup? So it was Roy's decision, not the docs, Gm or coach. Really? You think that is how a pro sports team work? The coach couldn't tell he couldn't skate. LOL D4. Get over your hate for Roy and be objective. Like I said, I'm glad he is gone for OTT. We have heard incessently, how players want to play and the team has to protect them from themselves.

Just to square this away for those inclined to yell, "stop the negativity"...... Nobody, not Drane, not X, not myself, accused or even hinted that Darcy acted in an improper way. What was said was essentially, I hope this wasn't a bad faith trade because that wouldn't look good for the organization.

Personally, I am glad that tweet indicated that Dallas was aware of the shoulder issue. I wonder if his shoulder had a negative effect on his trade value?

I'd put money on it. "We'd give you Ott and a 2nd...but since he's hurt, you get Ott and a cap dump". Or something.

I understand your point and I agree, but I'm sure Crosby was not cleared to play. His return had more to do with medical clearance and less to do with him not rushing back. On the other hand I don't know if he delayed his return because he didn't feel 100% even after he was cleared to play by the docs.

I think I need a new one of these

post-1429-0-73267000-1342056806_thumb.jpg

because I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Archived