Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

Not to discredit the signing, but people are getting carried away with Ott's size -- he is only listed at 6'0", which is a full four inches smaller than Paul Gaustad. He's a much more physical player and better figher than Gaustad, but I don't think Lucic is exactly quivering in his boots over Steve Ott. We added physicality, toughness, grit -- not exactly size. Thomas Vanek is bigger than Steve Ott.

Scott is a different story, though.

Anyone who doesn't like this trade can suck my nuts. BOTH of em. Ditching that little shitbird is all sorts of addition by subtraction.

Now let's see if Darcy can accomplish addition by addition.

Outstanding. Testify!

I mean what does he do that's worth trading a guy we could have used to get Ryan? does he win face offs? Does he make plays? All I know is we need offense and as of now I don't get how Ott will help with that.

Sorry to be that guy but what can we offer the Ducks now? I thought Roy would be the figure piece for a trade for Ryan.

Why in the world do you think this? Because you (and everyone else here) wanted it to be that way?

I think you know better than this.

i believe that ott is filling the position of the concept of paul gaustad.

could darcy be done with this one? will he go into camp with his nhl centers being hodgson, ennis, ott, and mccormick? (i am leaving grigor out of it.)

If XB says Griggy is going to be on the Sabres this year, I believe it.

He's basically a much better Gaustad. 14th in the league in faceoffs this year, with size and grit.

Not that much size -- 6'0", 190 lbs.

Meh. Happy to see Ott a Sabre, but I think I'd still take a healthy, 70 point Roy instead. Surprised we couldn't get more for him.

Again -- this isn't fantasy hockey. Roy has been an albatross on this team since Black Sunday.

nope more coming....... hockey insider is on it

Rick nash now being associated with buffalo.....

linkage?

I think Roy saying goodbye through his brother on twitter:

Thank you city of buffalo & buffalo sabres for all the good times and the hospitality! Will always be my second home #greatcity #greatpeople

Very classy.

To me, this move all but eliminates Kaleta from the team's plans. We'll see, but I can't see the Sabres heading into the season with Kaleta, Ott, McCormick and Scott on the roster.

This could be right.

Bucky tweeting that trade is a result of roy opening his mouth...

There might be some truth to this, but it sounds like a Bucky oversimplification.

We could get bobby Ryan and people would bitch. We have Hodgson, Ennis, ott, Adam, and grigs. This is the best trade ever for Roy. He is going to crumble in the west. We got a guy who is 55% on face offs, 5th in the league with 276 hits, 40 Pts and 156 penalty mins. Geeee I think Darcy messed up, NOT. Thanks DR sooo much excellent trade

Good post.

Awesome. Like many ppl said to many other ppl if we are sending Roy for Ott Dallas gotta sweeten the pot

Pardy isn't enough of a sweetener for you to be congratulating yourself like this. Given Pardy's contract, the sweetener could easily have been the Sabres agreeing to take him off of Dallas' payroll.

I stick with what I said earlier — this trade has been done for a while, Darcy was just waiting for another shoe to drop.

Now let's see what that shoe was. Might be a simple as we aren't getting Ryan for Roy-plus, so Roy was no longer needed.

This sounds quite possible.

Hodgson. I'm thinking this is who they have wanted all along.

I don't see them trading Hodgson unless it's part of a package for Getzlaf or another elite center.

Again -- this isn't fantasy hockey. Roy has been an albatross on this team since Black Sunday.

Again -- this is your opinion. Some people weigh a 30 goal, 70 point guy more heavily than a guy who hits. I'm still up in the air on the trade, I would have liked to get more from Roy, but it looks like Hamilton was right. Either way I'm happy to have Ott, just trying to view the trade from a logistics standpoint than just being happy that a guy who allegedly doesn't like his coach is gone.

interesting.

darcy is at least giving lip service to pardy's being an nhl defenseman (wgrz sports twitter, sorry no link)

No worries I read the same thing but we now have about 9 defensemen, I'm wondering if Sekera and Leopold are on the block.

why though? They are below the cap floor at a whoppin 44mil they have 25mil in cap space... it doesn't make sense.

Pardy is decent looking (his numbers) he seems to be a shutdown guy and is a -2 in 183gp....

Nathan Gerbe@NathanGerbe42

Sad to see @Roy9ner go. Awesome teammate and guy. Good luck. Welcome John Scott and @otter2nine to buffalo. #begreat

Getting rid of Ribero also seemed like an odd move, I'm sure they offered and Darcy didn't say no.

'Cause they've never started the year w/ a rook on the top line before, cough, cough, Luke Adam, cough, cough.

Touche. I'll shut my trap. I still think Vanek and Pom are top line wingers tho. I'd also be surprised i Hogson isn't centering them.

Building towards the future. Roy was not a part of that future.

The 3rd line just got a lot bigger and we've got a guy that can take important faceoffs, win them, AND stay on the ice. Neither Roy nor Gaustad could do all 3.

Good post, especially the bolded part.

Luc Gelinas@LucGelinasRDS

For my english friends: The Sabres have not finished moving. A very reliable source assures me they are working hard to get Rick Nash

Holy mackerel. I have no idea how good ol' Luc's sources are, but he's a legit TV hockey guy in Canada -- not some yob in his basement.

I wouldn't trade Ennis and McNabb for Ryan, but I would give both up in a heartbeat for Nash.

Holy mackerel. I have no idea how good ol' Luc's sources are, but he's a legit TV hockey guy in Canada -- not some yob in his basement.

I wouldn't trade Ennis and McNabb for Ryan, but I would give both up in a heartbeat for Nash.

Yup. If the goal of a Stanley Cup in the next two years is still alive, no reason Nash can't be a part of that.

You're a good man. ;)

Again -- this is your opinion. Some people weigh a 30 goal, 70 point guy more heavily than a guy who hits. I'm still up in the air on the trade, I would have liked to get more from Roy, but it looks like Hamilton was right. Either way I'm happy to have Ott, just trying to view the trade from a logistics standpoint than just being happy that a guy who allegedly doesn't like his coach is gone.

Fantasy hockey types certainly do.

It has nothing to do with whether he likes Lindy. There are many, many great players who don't like their coaches. The stat that really counts is wins. Roy didn't contribute to his team getting 'em, especially in the playoffs. And the most direct evidence we have -- ie what happened to the team in 2010-11 after Roy got hurt -- makes a compelling case that Roy contributed to his team losing.

Archived