The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

I didn't have the "Buffalo pessimism" going. I just didn't think that patchwork defense could hold.

Same here. With a full, heck even half of a healthy blueline I would have been sky high and fully expecting the Sabres to take care of business in the third. The Buffalo pessimistic prophecy had already come to fruition with the news of the MRSA laden shin pad.

I lucked out. I was across the street from my apartment at Sly Fox Brewing watching the game. After the second period, the TV feed disappeared. I walked home and it was not on my TV either (some error message). So I didn't have to watch, just listen on WGR. I remember the first caller afterwards breaking down in tears.

I lucked out. I was across the street from my apartment at Sly Fox Brewing watching the game. After the second period, the TV feed disappeared. I walked home and it was not on my TV either (some error message). So I didn't have to watch, just listen on WGR. I remember the first caller afterwards breaking down in tears.

Ok, that's pathetic. I'll cry when the team wins one, not when it loses in the semifinals.

Maybe he is town to see Kellie Pickler.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 2h

Kyle Okposo having lunch down here at The Liberty Hound. Fire up the rumor mill! #justkidding #B5

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 1h

@JeremyWGR he's here. Kidding about rumor!

Or to watch golf

“@bookerT2116: @RickieFowlerPGA Good luck this week at Oak Hill. I'll be there today watching you roll in some birds #tweettweet”

Hecht's go ahead goal late in the second period of game 7 against the Canes. Exhilaration mixed with feelings of impending doom. To me that defines the Sabres in a nutshell.

Exactly.

Sitting at friend Dave's house with a frig full of Heinekens, pile of wings from Duff's, and the DTV synched to RJ's call. During the 2nd intermission we walked out to the garage for a bit of a smoke (NO traffic on the street) and just talked quietly. No whooping it up about how we were 20 minutes away from the finals. He asked "Well, what do you think?" All I could say is they cant take a penalty early. 3rd starts....over the glass. I could hear Don Cherry in my head saying that season that this new rule would cost someone the Cup (He still refers to this game to this day) and I just shook my head and opened another beer. I knew what was coming as most of us did. I did get sympathy sex when I got home.

Bonus points: name the D pairings w/out looking them up.

Friggin' Janik and Jillson in a game seven. Did those two even combine to play another 7 NHL games in the years that followed?

Lydman and Soupy were the only legit dmen. I think Campbell had like 26 minutes.

I guess Janik did play some with Tampa and Dallas after that, but according to my google search that game 7 was Jillson's last NHL game.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Hecht's go ahead goal late in the second period of game 7 against the Canes. Exhilaration mixed with feelings of impending doom. To me that defines the Sabres in a nutshell.

My memories of that 2nd intermission are still so vivid.

There are only a handful of moments in my life where I can remember exactly how I felt. That is one of them.

My memories of that 2nd intermission are still so vivid.

There are only a handful of moments in my life where I can remember exactly how I felt. That is one of them.

Sweet Christ. I feel like 2nd intermission G7 2006 ECF deserves its own thread. I feel the same way. I remember -- clear as day -- staring at the scuffed wall at Cobblestone as I relieved myself and just almost bursting with "HOLY SH!T, WE MIGHT ACTUALLY GET AWAY WITH IT!" As someone who was there for G6 in the 1999 SCF, I even thought the hockey gods were about to make it to us.

I remember that game made me feel awful, especially when the Hurricanes won the Cup that year.I remember looking up the starting D-Men for that game more recently and I remember that between the 4 of them they only had 4 NHL games after this game. Not to mention 1 of them retired from stats tracked leagues 2 years later.

i just watched the "Lost Rings" show about the '90 Bills...relived the agony of that last drive yet again.

But really, even though they didn't get as close to winning I will always feel the '06 Sabres were just as cursed. THAT should have been our year. It still sucks and I almost wish it wouldn't have been brought up!

I taught middle school health for several years after that, and always managed to weave the story of that game 7 into my lesson about MRSA/staph infectons. Even though it was Flyers/Pens country the kids could still feel my pain!

Edited by blugold43

Jay McKee's shinpad doesn't get the same play as wide right, but to me it was the signature moment in Buffalo sports history.

That Sabres team was the league's best that year, yet the opportunity was stolen under circumstances more bizarre than fiction.

That cup should have been ours. I will never be convinced otherwise.

Jay McKee's shinpad doesn't get the same play as wide right, but to me it was the signature moment in Buffalo sports history.

That Sabres team was the league's best that year, yet the opportunity was stolen under circumstances more bizarre than fiction.

That cup should have been ours. I will never be convinced otherwise.

I'm with you that if we hadn't suffered the historic level of bad luck on our blueline that the 2006 ECF ends differently. But I wouldn't agree necessarily that the cup would have been ours against the Oilers. Remember, the Canes path to the Cup was once again made much easier when Roloson went down in game one. It's true that every team needs some good fortune in the quest to raise the Cup, but I will never be convinced otherwise that the Canes didn't have the most help in that regard.

I'm with you that if we hadn't suffered the historic level of bad luck on our blueline that the 2006 ECF ends differently. But I wouldn't agree necessarily that the cup would have been ours against the Oilers. Remember, the Canes path to the Cup was once again made much easier when Roloson went down in game one. It's true that every team needs some good fortune in the quest to raise the Cup, but I will never be convinced otherwise that the Canes didn't have the most help in that regard.

Do people forget the Canes took the season series from the Sabres 3-1 with the Sabres only victory coming in a meaningless season finally?

I didn't realize it at the time but looking back the Canes really did have a great team. The amount of speed they brought offensively was just epic. People decry the Sabres for benefiting from the lockout rule changes but Carolina was the real beneficiary. And Brind A'mour was a fricken horse. Jagr-esque.

Do people forget the Canes took the season series from the Sabres 3-1 with the Sabres only victory coming in a meaningless season finally?

Doesn't matter. The Senators took the season series from the Sabres that year, too, but what happened in the quarterfinals?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.