The Sabres Hockey Hotline with... somebody or other?

LGR4GM

If you try to do too much as a defenseman, it gets complicated really fast.

Myers simplified his game and he got a lot better towards the end of the season because of it. He was as low as -9 after 11 games, but then in the next 26 games he was +5 (I don't like +/- either, but it illustrates the story). As such, he was rewarded with consistently more ice time.

The way he improved last season shows me he could come out and have a great season this year. I hope he does, but it's another line on this team's long laundry list.

The funny thing is, if he comes to camp in shape (and I don't see why he wouldn't, he knows when camp will begin this year), he's already way past where he was last year and improvement would be expected. Improvement would also be expected from playing in Rolston's likely simplified system the full season. But any improvements will be credited to 'he's playing w/ Hank again.'

When was Myers at his best? First season, before being indoctrinated. He's an instinctive player. And maybe not all that bright, who knows. Why fill his head with garbage? Wanna go on the rush? Go. Hit people. Clear the zone. Is it all that complicated?

It's possible fans may be over thinking Myers game. It may just come down to a 6' 7" 19 year old kid who could skate caught many teams off-guard. It is possible that Myers decline is a result of teams adjusting to Myers and Myers game not developing/adjusting to how teams are playing him.

There was an interview a year or so ago on WGR, I forget who it was, it may have been a Versus guy. The topic was Myers and how teams would play Myers. The focus was on taking away time and space from Myers and making him rush into bad decisions and giving the puck up before he could start a rush. The point that should be taken is the Sabres need to systematically account for Myers by protecting (which may be the wrong word, but it's late and I'll us it) him in the defensive zone by making sure he has clear outlets and to make sure they can get the puck to Myers in the neutral zone where he can use his skating on the rush. I'm sure this was all discussed before, This is an important year for Myers. He needs to start the season fast and put the previous three season behind him. If he starts slow, the weight of those three seasons may be too much to carry.

It's possible fans may be over thinking Myers game. It may just come down to a 6' 7" 19 year old kid who could skate caught many teams off-guard. It is possible that Myers decline is a result of teams adjusting to Myers and Myers game not developing/adjusting to how teams are playing him.

I think it's more this than anything else. Also the point many try to make regarding Enroth and what could happen as he gets more regular duty.

They are discussing the greatest call by Jeanneret in Sabres history... they are going with MAY DAY!!!

I being younger disagree and think "Now do you Believe" for the Pommers 06 OT winner is the it.

THOUGHTS???????????????

I agree - that whole play was fantastic. May Day would probably be second for me though - even though i've only ever watched it as the clip on youtube

Actually the discussion was about the defining moment (on the ice) in Sabres history. If you had to pick one play to represent the Sabres what would it be.

In my lifetime or all-time?

The fog game sticks in my head although it's before my time.

Drury 7.7 in my lifetime.

In my lifetime or all-time?

The fog game sticks in my head although it's before my time.

Drury 7.7 in my lifetime.

Defining moment to me would be Patrick hitting cross bar before no goal.

Most memorable would be Robert winning fog game.

Under how far we have comie category, thank you Sabre chant while being eliminated by Canadians to getting booed off home ice while leading.

it's what - the greatest moment? the defining moment? the one moment you'd pick to represent the sabres?

i think may day is a very solid choice. it has a terrific combination of history, significance in the moment, excellence of the play, surprise factor, elite players' involvement (for us and for the opponent), home crowd goes bonkers.

and yeah -- the fog game goal, now do you believe, and who else also belong in the conversation.

Rick's greatest call? Wow, I'd have to really mull that over. I always admired Legion of Doom. Staying quiet for 15 seconds after the goal, just letting the fans tell the story, was incredible. The catch phrase was rehearsed, but very good. That's one valid criticism of modern Rick. I think after May Day he started trying to script the moment. Actually, most of May Day, he also had in the can.

The Robert goal in the fog has to be way up there. And the first Robert goal, in the 73 playoffs, was a very young Rick just being very emotional.

Edited by PASabreFan

It's possible fans may be over thinking Myers game. It may just This is an important year for Myers. He needs to start the season fast and put the previous three season behind him. If he starts slow, the weight of those three seasons may be too much to carry.

Just seeing this. A very, very accurate take on where Myers has been, where he needs to go, and the importance of the coming season for him.

Hecht's go ahead goal late in the second period of game 7 against the Canes. Exhilaration mixed with feelings of impending doom. To me that defines the Sabres in a nutshell.

Classic Hecht bank shot. Oh, the thrilling joy and terror I felt as I took a leak during that intermission while I was out at Cobblestone watching the game.

Classic Hecht bank shot. Oh, the thrilling joy and terror I felt as I took a leak during that intermission while I was out at Cobblestone watching the game.

Three or four deep at the bar at Gabriel's Gate. I had the exact same experience in the men's room.

At least you guys were in friendly territory for that game. I could have attended but passed on it after the way things went at RBC for me during game 5. Then my neighbors (all bandwagon Canes fans) wanted me to watch it with them but I politely declined. I watched by myself in my living room and spent the nervous intermission talking with my brother and friends back in Buffalo on the phone. Normally a goal like that is a back breaker for the team surrendering it, but as Sabres fans we knew better.

At least you guys were in friendly territory for that game. I could have attended but passed on it after the way things went at RBC for me during game 5. Then my neighbors (all bandwagon Canes fans) wanted me to watch it with them but I politely declined. I watched by myself in my living room and spent the nervous intermission talking with my brother and friends back in Buffalo on the phone. Normally a goal like that is a back breaker for the team surrendering it, but as Sabres fans we knew better.

I didn't have the "Buffalo pessimism" going. I just didn't think that patchwork defense could hold.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.