Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

I'll give DR some credit but Devine is THE MAN.

I've got no complaints with their drafts since he moved up the ladder.

How long before another team tries to poach him for a GM position? If his draft picks continue to pan out, I'd imagine he'd be on some short lists once positions open up.

Doesn't everyone feel that way after a draft though?

The draft seems great now but there's never 100% correlation between the teams that are draft day winners and the teams that win championships.

Absolutely not!!! I'm usually depressed after studying the players and watching the draft. Last time I was happy was when we picked Myers. But this is much better than that!

And I disagree on your correlation statement as well. Look at the Stanley Cup Champions over the past few years and you will see a connection between having a top five pick and eventually winning the Cup.

Shut up, this is a great pick.

Never said it wasn't.

Top shelf, where momma hides the zaedkami!

Sew an 89 on that sweater.

Don't be surprised if he's in the NHL this year.

I hope you're right. I think with the current team, we aren't far off from being a contender. I don't think this team needs a rebuild and I don't want to see the answer to the problems being all draft picks that will help in 3-4 years. I figured some of those picks would be used for a trade. But we've still got FA and there's nothing keeping Darcy from making a trade or two before the season starts. We'll see. Great picks IMO!

This is a great pick.

As stated in the 12-13 Roster thread, being in Halifax I have seen him play many times. He simply dominated the Q League last season. He reminds me of Malkin, with more attitude. Not worried in the least that he has been drafted by some KHL team.

I would not be surprised if he does make the opening day roster this fall.

In about 5 years the Sabres, I believe, will have a centre corp that will be the envy of the league.

I love the pick, but I'm curious to hear some of the explanations as to why he dropped so far.

1) Russian factor - most out of the big three, since Nail is the top talent and will almost certainly go right into the NHL, and Alex is American born and will play for America internationally. Fear is that Grigs would go to the KHL if he doesn't get an immediate start in the NHL.

2) High ankle sprain and Mono led to a tail-off in performance and a perception of not putting in full effort. Another stereotype of the Russian players, but he did have legitimate medical excuses.

Basically, all the talent to go #2, but a lot more ?'s than the players taken ahead of him. I wouldn't have traded up for him, but I'll take him #12. Would rather of had Galchenyuk, but he wasn't going to fall that far. I hope Grigs does make the team immediately to reduce the chance of any KHL issues.

Wow, we really have some absolutely scintillating comments being posted. Let’s be fair from a size/skill perspective this pick is a home run. He’s the true #1 centermen we have been searching for a while, but obviously he’s not gonna be a star in the NHL right away. The kids has great vision, skates very well, plays a heads up game, with some defensive deficiencies, but so many of these kids do. He has a noise for the net and seems willing to take the puck into scoring areas. He is likely not the most physical player you’ll find, however the kid doesn’t shy away from contact either. Nevertheless, he does come with risk because if he’s struggling by the end of his first contract, he may take the KHL option for contract #2. Why not take more money and a shorter season? That’s the scary part.

The plan would be sign him now, and if he has a strong camp, start him in the NHL for the 9 game minimum, If he’s not ready, send him back to the “Q” for another season and you hold off any KHL move for another year.

Wow, we really have some absolutely scintillating comments being posted. Let’s be fair from a size/skill perspective this pick is a home run. He’s the true #1 centermen we have been searching for a while, but obviously he’s not gonna be a star in the NHL right away. The kids has great vision, skates very well, plays a heads up game, with some defensive deficiencies, but so many of these kids do. He has a noise for the net and seems willing to take the puck into scoring areas. He is likely not the most physical player you’ll find, however the kid doesn’t shy away from contact either. Nevertheless, he does come with risk because if he’s struggling by the end of his first contract, he may take the KHL option for contract #2. Why not take more money and a shorter season? That’s the scary part.

The plan would be sign him now, and if he has a strong camp, start him in the NHL for the 9 game minimum, If he’s not ready, send him back to the “Q” for another season and you hold off any KHL move for another year.

6 months ago he was the clear #2 or #3 pick. If you would have told me 6 months the Sabres would be landing him at the draft at #12 I would be laughing.

I think he makes the roster. Look how Luke Adam did starting out with Pomminstein and Vanek on a line. This kid is a freak in terms of offensive skills compared to Adam.

It is always risky to overstate importance, but if the kid can make the roster he'll immediately change the profile of the Sabres lines offensively.

Archived