Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

seeing his interviews, i actually believe his mind isn't even on Russia. And he seems to be very happy that he is a sabre.

he seemed genually excited about playing for the same team as mogilny, and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder, cause

whole year long he was percieved to be #2 pick, he wants to show 11 teams that they are wrong.

He has a good shot of cracking the line up, and i wouldn't count our #14 out in doing the same thing.

seeing his interviews, i actually believe his mind isn't even on Russia. And he seems to be very happy that he is a sabre.

he seemed genually excited about playing for the same team as mogilny, and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder, cause

whole year long he was percieved to be #2 pick, he wants to show 11 teams that they are wrong.

He has a good shot of cracking the line up, and i wouldn't count our #14 out in doing the same thing.

For that to happen, Roy has to be shipped out. With Ennis and Hodgson already on board, 5 centers would be one too many.

Personally, I think it is a bit too early to put Grigorenko in the lineup on opening day. Most guys are better served with some time in Rochester to adjust to the size and speed of the professional game. I'd like to see him start the year in Rochester then come up later in the year. If Darcy can't find a desirable trade for Roy now, we can start the year with Roy in the lineup then trade him before the deadline next spring. That'd allow some time for Grigorenko to develop.

Personally, I think it is a bit too early to put Grigorenko in the lineup on opening day. Most guys are better served with some time in Rochester to adjust to the size and speed of the professional game. I'd like to see him start the year in Rochester then come up later in the year. If Darcy can't find a desirable trade for Roy now, we can start the year with Roy in the lineup then trade him before the deadline next spring. That'd allow some time for Grigorenko to develop.

He's too young. It's either major junior or NHL.

He's too young. It's either major junior or NHL.

:oops:

I just worry about taking an 18/19 year old kid and jumping him all the way to the NHL. Clearly it worked for Tyler Myers, but that is the exception. But, maybe he will prove to be too good to keep off the roster in training camp!

:oops:

I just worry about taking an 18/19 year old kid and jumping him all the way to the NHL. Clearly it worked for Tyler Myers, but that is the exception. But, maybe he will prove to be too good to keep off the roster in training camp!

I think he'll at least get the 9 game tryout like Myers did before making the decision on staying up or going back to the Quebec Ramparts.

I think he'll at least get the 9 game tryout like Myers did before making the decision on staying up or going back to the Quebec Ramparts.

Myers returned to juniors for one year and then made the Sabres the following year. And to be clear, he was nowhere near the elite talent that Grigorenko is.

For that to happen, Roy has to be shipped out. With Ennis and Hodgson already on board, 5 centers would be one too many.

Better to have too many than not enough. I'd much rather have natural centers on the wing than being forced to play wingers at the pivot position.

Just put one of them on the wing. Problem solved.

Wouldn't think of that as a viable option.

No way I'd break up the combo of Foligno- Ennis-Stafford. Certainly wouldn't want to hamper the development of Hodgson, Grigorenko, or Girgensons as pivot men. Again, I say if both 2012 # 1 picks are on the big club, Roy is a goner.

I think we won't have to worry about it though as Girgensons will be at UVM next season I believe.

Billy called it way back in February ...

I don't see how the Sabres can pass any of these 8 teams in order to make the playoffs: Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Devils, Bruins, Senators, Panthers, Capitals

I think the only course of action left to take is: STINKO FOR GRIGORENKO!

A good (but long) article on Grigorenko:

http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1333

great article. thanks. i must say, after watching all the interviews and reading a ton of articles, i really feel like we scored! hey seems like a great kid. i am excited to see a lineup with grigorenko, armia, ennis, hodgson, mcnabb, meyers, gerginsons (sp?), pysyk, gauthuier-leduc, tropp, and foligno!

i wonder if a guy like Catenacci will fit in well on the wing with this line-up. or if he is a prospect we should trade?

also gerbe, does he still have a spot on this team??? i love his effort, but i can't imagine he will ever be on the top two lines.

i feel as though we have so much trade bait as well. i hope darcy can find a way to use that depth and some of our "vets" to score some high quality guys.

I hadn't followed any of the prospects ahead of time, but after reading a bit on Grigs I have to think that we're awfully fortunate that he slipped to the 12 spot. The biggest question that keeps coming up is work ethic, but I saw in one of the artcles (don't recall which, but one linked on SabreSpace) saying it's actually more an issue of him needing to improve his stamina because he tires easily. If that's true (and didn't Myers have that issue in the beginning?) and he's as committed as he seems to making it in the NHL, I'm excited to see what this kid can do in preseason.

On a side note, it's funny to me to keep hearing comparisons to Malkin. Gino is a horse with a big blocky head and thick neck (kinda like Rob Ray), but Grigs looked to be more slender in the interview someone posted. It's probably just the camera angles, but I'm curious to see him next to some other players for reference.

I hadn't followed any of the prospects ahead of time, but after reading a bit on Grigs I have to think that we're awfully fortunate that he slipped to the 12 spot. The biggest question that keeps coming up is work ethic, but I saw in one of the artcles (don't recall which, but one linked on SabreSpace) saying it's actually more an issue of him needing to improve his stamina because he tires easily. If that's true (and didn't Myers have that issue in the beginning?) and he's as committed as he seems to making it in the NHL, I'm excited to see what this kid can do in preseason.

On a side note, it's funny to me to keep hearing comparisons to Malkin. Gino is a horse with a big blocky head and thick neck (kinda like Rob Ray), but Grigs looked to be more slender in the interview someone posted. It's probably just the camera angles, but I'm curious to see him next to some other players for reference.

:lol: :lol:

Regarding the stamina, it was Patrick Roy who said it was his biggest issue. The work ethic thing didn't seem to impact his rankings until the playoffs, where he looked completely out of it. But...he had mono. My friends who had mono couldn't even sit in a classroom, let alone play hockey at a high level. If the work ethic issue revolves around his play away from the puck, while that's a concern of some kind, it's also true for the vast majority of offensive stars before they hit the NHL. I honestly believe that if he were Canadian he would have been taken top-2. Sad, but I think the Russian stereotype hurt him a lot (and the recent Kuznetsov debacle in Washington and Radulov in the playoffs certainly didn't help anything).

On the size, Grigorenko is still an 18 year old kid. I saw some scouting reports listing him at 6'3 180, but then at the combine he weighed in at 200 I believe. I don't think the guy will ever be built like David Backes, but really, that's not what we need him to be. As long as he can effectively use his size to protect the puck and make plays, that's what counts. Regardless, he was the absolute steal of the draft. He's easily the most talented player the Sabres have drafted since...well, I'm not sure, Turgeon or Mogilny? Whether that raw talent gets harnessed to turn him into a star we won't know for awhile, but his skill set is absolutely scintillating and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

:lol: :lol:

Regarding the stamina, it was Patrick Roy who said it was his biggest issue. The work ethic thing didn't seem to impact his rankings until the playoffs, where he looked completely out of it. But...he had mono. My friends who had mono couldn't even sit in a classroom, let alone play hockey at a high level. If the work ethic issue revolves around his play away from the puck, while that's a concern of some kind, it's also true for the vast majority of offensive stars before they hit the NHL. I honestly believe that if he were Canadian he would have been taken top-2. Sad, but I think the Russian stereotype hurt him a lot (and the recent Kuznetsov debacle in Washington and Radulov in the playoffs certainly didn't help anything).

On the size, Grigorenko is still an 18 year old kid. I saw some scouting reports listing him at 6'3 180, but then at the combine he weighed in at 200 I believe. I don't think the guy will ever be built like David Backes, but really, that's not what we need him to be. As long as he can effectively use his size to protect the puck and make plays, that's what counts. Regardless, he was the absolute steal of the draft. He's easily the most talented player the Sabres have drafted since...well, I'm not sure, Turgeon or Mogilny? Whether that raw talent gets harnessed to turn him into a star we won't know for awhile, but his skill set is absolutely scintillating and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Agreed, and I forgot to include the part about him having mono. As you already said, it's amazing that he was even playing hockey then, and that could still be a factor for him come this fall. A friend of mine had mono in high school, and I remember her needing to do half-days for a few weeks. I don't really care if he turns out to be Malkin-esque; I just don't see it based on their current physical builds. ;)

Archived