Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

I guess you could call them the paper Tigers. People go crazy on the Bills board about trying to nick name the Bills d-line or defense in general too, but until they produce on the field (which I think they will) that's all they are at this point.

Nicknaming the Bums is easy. "Losers" - that just about covers all of them year after year after year after year....

How about "Oreo".

Bad Timing: http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/13423175-452/oreos-pride-does-not-get-love.html

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My first thought was "Renko." I'd support "Oreo" though just because it's different. Actually, I'll support anything that isn't Grigs, Grigsy, Grig, etc. Seriously, if a nickname is that lazy, it's not worth even having.

I'll also support no nicknames for players who haven't played for the team or accomplished anything in the NHL yet.

Except Galchenyuk is no more Russian than I am Serbian...

Yes, his mother is Russian, but his father is from Belarus, And he spent only 6 years of his life living in Russia, as opposed to 7 in North America and 5 in Italy. This is an "All Hispanics are Mexican" argument... He was born in the US, lived here till he was 4, holds american citizenship, and will play internationally for the US.

/rant

• 2 weeks later...

Bump ...

I've been thinking about if / when (I really believe it will be when) Grigorenko signs his first contrct.

First of all I really enjoy this board. It's fun and I also learn a lot about how things work for contracts etc. So, thank you to all who have increased my knowledge of such things.

I understand that Grigorenko is too young to play in Rochester. So, he will play either for the Sabres or in the Q. I really don't think the Q is the best place for him to develop as a player. He dominated that league and there really is no point in him playing there any longer, as it may even hinder his development.

My questions are ...

When he signs his contract with the Sabres and turns pro would he even be able to return tho the Q? If not, which would make sense after he signs a pro contract, does his status for playing in Rochester change? If he still can't play in Rochester does that only leave the Sabres as a playing option, or is there some other place he could play pro hockey? If not then I really believe the Sabres are planning on him playing in Buffalo. Perhaps as a winger / centre on a line with Pominville and Leino.

If anyone can answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Bump ...

I've been thinking about if / when (I really believe it will be when) Grigorenko signs his first contrct.

First of all I really enjoy this board. It's fun and I also learn a lot about how things work for contracts etc. So, thank you to all who have increased my knowledge of such things.

I understand that Grigorenko is too young to play in Rochester. So, he will play either for the Sabres or in the Q. I really don't think the Q is the best place for him to develop as a player. He dominated that league and there really is no point in him playing there any longer, as it may even hinder his development.

My questions are ...

When he signs his contract with the Sabres and turns pro would he even be able to return tho the Q? If not, which would make sense after he signs a pro contract, does his status for playing in Rochester change? If he still can't play in Rochester does that only leave the Sabres as a playing option, or is there some other place he could play pro hockey? If not then I really believe the Sabres are planning on him playing in Buffalo. Perhaps as a winger / centre on a line with Pominville and Leino.

If anyone can answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

If or when the Sabres give him a contract the CBA states that after 10 games his 1st year of that contract is started. If he does not play for 10 games then his contract would start a year later.

He could return to juniors before the ten games are played. In no case could he return to Rochester.

If or when the Sabres give him a contract the CBA states that after 10 games his 1st year of that contract is started. If he does not play for 10 games then his contract would start a year later.

He could return to juniors before the ten games are played. In no case could he return to Rochester.

Thanks, Chz.

So, it's a case of these magic 9 game trials that I hear about. So, his pro contract would not come into effect until his 10th game with the Sabres. In that case, I have very little doubt that he will start the season in Buffalo for those 9 games and then they will have to decide if he stays with the Sabres or returns to the Q. I'll repeat myself, but I don't think the Q would be a good place for him to develop as a player. The competition would not be good enough. IMO. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, he was a rookie in the Q last season and didn't play a full season.

Could he be sent to the W or O instead? Could teach him more defence :P

If he is not good enough to play for the Sabres, it is better he dominates the Q than gets 8 minutes a game/s benched at the NHL

Not sure how it works, but maybe the Sabres could have / force Quebec to trade / transfer him to one of the two other junior leagues.

IMO, if he sticks with the Sabres he will not be playing 8 minutes / game, but will get more minutes and in every situation.

Not sure how it works, but maybe the Sabres could have / force Quebec to trade / transfer him to one of the two other junior leagues.

IMO, if he sticks with the Sabres he will not be playing 8 minutes / game, but will get more minutes and in every situation.

Yes, but you said he shouldn't go back to the Q, whereas i am saying it would be better for him to go back there unless he is capable of playing 14+ minutes in the NHL

Archived