Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

I wonder if Grigorenko could skate next year. Darcy said that he didn't think expect that we'd be taking a player that would make an impact next year. But could he have seen Grigorenko, considered by Hockey Prospectus to be the 2nd best talent available in the draft, fall to our pick at 12th? Who could've predicted the run of 8 defensemen in the first ten picks?

Top shelf, where momma hides the zaedkami!

I laughed.

Just listened to his interview on GR, said he feels sorry from the teams that did pass on him.

In Soviet Russia, player drafts you!

“I liked this team,” he said. “They talked to me a lot, and I really liked this organization. I talked with them during the few seasons a few times, at the combines and here before the draft [Thursday]."

Darcy did a good job of keeping this close to the vest.

“I liked this team,” he said. “They talked to me a lot, and I really liked this organization. I talked with them during the few seasons a few times, at the combines and here before the draft [Thursday]."

This is probably going to come off as more snarky than I intend it, but here goes. Next time anybody freaks out over something Ruff, Regier, Black, Pegula...really anybody involved with the organization says, just remember this. What they say in public is zero indication of what goes on behind closed doors.

That's an understatement. I didn't hear either the Devine nor Regier GR interviews this week, but the GR guys made it sound like they basically said there was no way in the world that they'd grab a Russian.

I guess those guys just misinterpreted it, what the Sabres' brass were actually saying was there was no way they'd draft only 1 kid with Soviet parents.

This is probably going to come off as more snarky than I intend it, but here goes. Next time anybody freaks out over something Ruff, Regier, Black, Pegula...really anybody involved with the organization says, just remember this. What they say in public is zero indication of what goes on behind closed doors.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky either but it don't mean sch!t until they start winning.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky either but it don't mean sch!t until they start winning.

Not snarky at all, a simple statement of fact. I'd still like them to improve the current roster (particularly getting a RW upgrade over Tropp), but I have significantly more hope for the future now than I did this afternoon.

It's been a busy day, so I'll keep it short. LOVE IT!

Regier does seem to be getting the hang of these drafts lately. The one piece of the Regier / Devine comments I heard this week was Devine stating that they were reluctant to give up the 21st to upgrade the 12th when the player they were looking at might fall to them at 12. Very prescient.

If Roy is still here on October 1, I will still be EXTREMELY disappointed and if not calling for Mr. Regier's head at least calling for him to bring in a Rick Dudley type to help w/ the veteran talent portion of the job.

Regier does seem to be getting the hang of these drafts lately. The one piece of the Regier / Devine comments I heard this week was Devine stating that they were reluctant to give up the 21st to upgrade the 12th when the player they were looking at might fall to them at 12. Very prescient.

If Roy is still here on October 1, I will still be EXTREMELY disappointed and if not calling for Mr. Regier's head at least calling for him to bring in a Rick Dudley type to help w/ the veteran talent portion of the job.

I'll give DR some credit but Devine is THE MAN.

Not snarky at all, a simple statement of fact. I'd still like them to improve the current roster (particularly getting a RW upgrade over Tropp), but I have significantly more hope for the future now than I did this afternoon.

Doesn't everyone feel that way after a draft though?

The draft seems great now but there's never 100% correlation between the teams that are draft day winners and the teams that win championships.

I AM HAPPY!!!! As I have said several times, if Grigorenko is available at nr. 12, YOU TAKE HIM!!! Great pickup! I was just praying (and I don't pray) that they wouldn't take a defenseman. Thankfully almost every other team did.

Girgensons was another excellent pick - 2 picks, 2 centers. Perfect!!!

Great draft for the Sabres!

The draft seems great now but there's never 100% correlation between the teams that are draft day winners and the teams that win championships.

Since the twin Tylers draft, yes.

Prior to that (basically any year other than Vanek :thumbsup: and Turgeon :doh:), I think you have to go back to veeeerry early '80's to feel that way about a Sabres' draft.

There's certainly some truth to that. At the same time, if they had grabbed a defenseman or Teravainan instead of Grigorenko, I think I'd be far less excited. It's the elite talent that really gets me.

Archived