Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

Again it wasn't a demand. My friend spoke to DR after the press conf. Wednesday when Grigs signed and asked if frederick Roy was signing with the sabres. DR told my friend yes because Grigs vouched for him and makes the transition easier. IMO I think DR is trying him out like Phil varone and just signed him because it will sell tickets for Rochester.

Take this however you guys want. I'm cool with it.

Again it wasn't a demand. My friend spoke to DR after the press conf. Wednesday when Grigs signed and asked if frederick Roy was signing with the sabres. DR told my friend yes because Grigs vouched for him and makes the transition easier. IMO I think DR is trying him out like Phil varone and just signed him because it will sell tickets for Rochester.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but I wasn't trying to insult you personally. I just don't think Roy's contract offer really had anything to do with what Grigs said.

DR says a lot of things, but to insinuate that an 18 year old kid giving his thumbs up was the push Roy needed to get an offer just seems silly. I wouldn't doubt DR talked to Grigs about him, but not to solidify his belief in him deserving a contract.

Hope that came across a little more clearer.

The tone of your first post strongly suggested it was a package deal. Grigs signing in part because Roy was getting a deal. YOur tone has changed into something more plausible now. Still, I suspect the signing was 95% DR liked Roy's D camp performance and 5% word of other people.

• 2 weeks later...

Can Grigorenko skate better than Gaustad??

When I look at some highlight films, I see a guy with great hands, great hockey sense,

but typical big-man skating. A lot of his goals come from garbage cleanup after flying skaters

like Fred Roy have gotten the puck deep and make the initial shot(s). I'm thinking that

Grigorenko's potential upside seems more like an Andreychuk than a Turgeon at this point.

That's still great, but not necessarily the "play-making" centre that people crave.

If he makes the team this year, where do you play him? The 1st line should have a

play-maker to feed Vanek and Pominville. Ennis has the 2nd spot. The 3rd line centre

should have a defensive mindset. So, I think that if he plays, it will be a lot on the PP

and on the 4th line against weaker and softer teams where McCormick's skills are

not needed.

Caveat: I am NOT a scout. :-)

Can Grigorenko skate better than Gaustad??

When I look at some highlight films, I see a guy with great hands, great hockey sense,

but typical big-man skating. A lot of his goals come from garbage cleanup after flying skaters

like Fred Roy have gotten the puck deep and make the initial shot(s). I'm thinking that

Grigorenko's potential upside seems more like an Andreychuk than a Turgeon at this point.

That's still great, but not necessarily the "play-making" centre that people crave.

If he makes the team this year, where do you play him? The 1st line should have a

play-maker to feed Vanek and Pominville. Ennis has the 2nd spot. The 3rd line centre

should have a defensive mindset. So, I think that if he plays, it will be a lot on the PP

and on the 4th line against weaker and softer teams where McCormick's skills are

not needed.

Caveat: I am NOT a scout. :-)

I don't mean this to sound overly harsh, but Andreychuk is a horrible comparison for Grigorenko. Grigorenko is never going to be confused with Ennis, but he's a very smooth skater with good speed. I think there's two things feeding your observations. Firstly, he plays the game slow; I mean that he's really patient with the puck and isn't guns blazing 100% as soon as the puck is on his stick. Secondly, he doesn't have the Malkin freight train-like burst.

Yeah. I found some more videos on Youtube. I guess that my first impressions were wrong,

maybe because I was watching videos of guys like Perreault and that sort. When I saw the

Devel Camp shoot-out video, I said immediately to myself "Catenacci can skate!"; I didn't

have the same feel from Grigorenko. In some of the videos, it's like you say, he's seems to be

moving slowly. It almost seemed like he was tottering a little on his skates. Obviously, he's

got better play making potential than Andreychuk. And, Grigorenko doesn't strike me as

stand in front of the net and take abuse kind of guy. But, in the one video in particular it seemed

like Grigorenko was getting a lot of rebounds, thanks to his hockey sense. I'll close by quoting

Kris Baker from his WGR550 report.

His vision, his creativity, his playmaking skills. He’s got good eyes for the game. He’s not the best skater. [emphasis mine]..but it’s his playmaking skills. He’s right up there with those top notch guys on sheer talent. The Malkin comparison is a good one - on talent alone. He makes good plays, he knows where his teammates are. He scores and sets up teammates very well.

Yeah. I found some more videos on Youtube. I guess that my first impressions were wrong,

maybe because I was watching videos of guys like Perreault and that sort. When I saw the

Devel Camp shoot-out video, I said immediately to myself "Catenacci can skate!"; I didn't

have the same feel from Grigorenko. In some of the videos, it's like you say, he's seems to be

moving slowly. It almost seemed like he was tottering a little on his skates. Obviously, he's

got better play making potential than Andreychuk. And, Grigorenko doesn't strike me as

stand in front of the net and take abuse kind of guy. But, in the one video in particular it seemed

like Grigorenko was getting a lot of rebounds, thanks to his hockey sense. I'll close by quoting

Kris Baker from his WGR550 report.

Right, he's certainly not an elite skater, and he never will be...Spezza is probably a fair comparison. But to compare him to Andreychuk is downright insulting :P

Archived