Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I did get to see a live version of Maggot Brain by Michael 'Kidd Funkdelic' Hampton (which is how he got into the band in the '70s; his live version is the on One Nation Under a Groove). That was pretty cool.

that number was featured in the show i saw. and the guy who did the big guitar solo was pretty old - 70 possibly? anywya, it was incredible. i don't know much about the bands' lineups, etc. (and, frankly, their whole frickin' ... mythology (?)), so i'm not sure who the guy was.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

that number was featured in the show i saw. and the guy who did the big guitar solo was pretty old - 70 possibly? anywya, it was incredible. i don't know much about the bands' lineups, etc. (and, frankly, their whole frickin' ... mythology (?)), so i'm not sure who the guy was.

Yup - that would've been him is my guess. Google says he's 66 now (he really was a kid when he started). Shorter/stockier guy, and at least on Sunday he was wearing a big helmet for half the show.

The mythology is half the battle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Indabuff said:

One week til Pantera.   SiriusXM metal stations are really pumping up the tour.  I'm stoked.  

I saw Pantera at the Connecticut st. Armory back in the early 90’s for the Vulgar Display of Power tour. Sick show. 
I toyed with going to DL for this show but I hate DL for all concerts and I don’t care for music venues with seating. And with the death of the Abbott brothers, it just doesn’t motivate me to go see the limited lineup.

Hope it’s good for you. 

Side note: I’m sure you are aware of the background story of the goal song for the Dallas Stars and Pantera. Cool story!

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I am finally seeing Colonic Polyps at the Salamanca Senior Center on Tuesday afternoon. It should be over in time for the chili supper at 3:45. Needless to say, I am clenched, as the kids say.

You’ll really be clenched, as the kids say, after the chili supper.  Edna’s chili has a reputation across Cattauraugus County.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:42 AM, Zamboni said:

Side note: I’m sure you are aware of the background story of the goal song for the Dallas Stars and Pantera. Cool story!

I've been to several Sabres-Stars games in Dallas and let me tell ya, when they play the Pantera goal song it is utterly demoralizing to the enemy (and any of their fans in attendance).  I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous of the Stars for that.  It's a great goal song with a great back story.

When Dimebag Darrell of Pantera passed away in 2004, I was shocked in that nearly EVERY musician friend I know (from band members, to Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, to music teachers) had a story about a personal encounter with him and no one had a bad word to say about him.  Total class guy, and a total backer of the arts locally in all kinds of ways.

22 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Saw them a couple of years ago with Train.  Was a great show. 

I saw them with Collective Soul at Darien. They were amazing. 

Leaving in a few hours to go tailgate before the Godsmack, Staind and Nothing More show at Darien Lake tonight. Can't wait. Seen them all before and they each put on a great show. 

• 2 weeks later...

We saw Kenny Loggins on Thursday.  His final tour, titled "This is it" .... he and his band were really good.   

I saw Loggins and Messina at Kleinhan's Musical Hall back in the day.  Like about 1973 whem concerts were about $3 to $5 bucks. 

They were excellent live, way better than I thought they would be.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple tickets to see the Boss on Thursday in Syracuse.  First time I’m getting a chance to see him.

Also, some shameless promotion for my band.  Playing Friday at Timeless Babez on Allen St.  And check out our video for “Sunday Paper” we release last Friday if punk/metal/thrash is your thing 😁 

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Picked up a couple tickets to see the Boss on Thursday in Syracuse.  First time I’m getting a chance to see him.

Also, some shameless promotion for my band.  Playing Friday at Timeless Babez on Allen St.  And check out our video for “Sunday Paper” we release last Friday if punk/metal/thrash is your thing 😁 

Plan on spending 3 hours at the show. Seriously.

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Not my genre but I applaud the creative process at work here...excellent!

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 2:33 PM, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Oh I plan on it!  😁

Just saw last night that his upcoming concerts, including tonight's, have been postponed. Hope you can get to the rescheduled show whenever that is. On the bright side, he is known to put on some epic 'make up' performances. Just his way of saying sorry for the inconvenience.

8 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Just saw last night that his upcoming concerts, including tonight's, have been postponed. Hope you can get to the rescheduled show whenever that is. On the bright side, he is known to put on some epic 'make up' performances. Just his way of saying sorry for the inconvenience.

Yeah, I’m going to make sure I see him at some point on this tour, even if it was a different city.  Before I grabbed the Syracuse tickets I seriously considered making the drive to see the Asbury Park show.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a concert but kind of close:  The wife and I went to Jagged Little Pill The Musical last night.  It was pretty amazing how how Alanis Morissette's songs were woven into a story.  No spoilers, but I made a play list of the songs in the order they appear in the play, with her original recordings (not the musical cast).

And if you don't want to invest the time in that whole play list, this, I think, is the best of the bunch:

Edited by Doohickie

We usually don't go to tribute band shows but this one sounded unique: the Blues Beatles. The band is amazingly from Brazil and their music is just what the name suggests. They take Beatles standards and adapt them to a blues style. We saw them Friday night and were literally blown away by how good the musicians were and how much fun their music was.

If you're a fan of the Blues, check this out...

Yesterday

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.