Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

Just saw Chris Botti a few weeks ago.

Unbelievable show if you are into jazz.

PS:  He's in Toronto in June for those here who still live in WNY.

I actually mixed his first TV appearance as a solo artist (I think he was some show's house band, previously). Pretty cool. Seems like a hundred years ago.

Interestingly, Matt & Kim are kicking off the Canalside Thursday concerts this year, and Spoon is a couple weeks later. 

Free Thursday lineup:

• June 4: Matt and Kim with Bearstronaut and Made Violent
  • June 11: Arkells with Robert DeLong and Milo Greene
  • June 18: Everclear with Fuel and American HiFi
  • June 25: Spoon with July Talk
  • July 2: The Sheepdogs with Yonder Mountain String Band
  • July 9: Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  • July 16: The BPO “Buffalo’s All-Star Tribute to Stevie Wonder”
  • July 23: Bad Fish “A Tribute to Sublime” and Reel Big Fish
  • July 30: Iron and Wine with Ben Bridwell
  • August 6: Umphrey’s McGee and Aqueous
  • August 13: Get The Led Out “The American Led Zeppelin”
  • August 20: EnVogue

Good lineup this year. D4rk, I assume you're in for Bosstones and Reel Big Fish? haha

My Thursdays are wide open all summer. Whatever shows you guys want to go to, I'm there. 

Saw Exodus and Testament in a small venue in Nashville a couple of weeks ago.  There isn't much of a heavy music scene down here so the heavier bands tend to avoid this place, and those that come through are relegated to smaller venues that rarely sell out.  Have tickets for Alice in Chains at the Ryman (the actual Grand Ol Opry) and also The Melvins at Exit/In (legendary venue that only holds a couple hundred people).

Had a great time seeing Godsmack at the Main Street Armory in Rochester last night.  First time for me at that venue.  Acoustics aren't really all that good, but the size and layout of the venue makes it a great place to see a concert.  Parking wasn't as bad as i feared.  And it was the first time I've ever been frisked before entering a show.  The opening acts were so-so, but godsmack more than made up for it.  Had a great time.

Next week The Boy and I will be in Rapids Theater to see Clutch and Mastodon.  Looking forward to that one!

It is an interesting venue.  How did Security handle that crowd / dancing?  

Interestingly, Matt & Kim are kicking off the Canalside Thursday concerts this year, and Spoon is a couple weeks later. 

Free Thursday lineup:

• June 4: Matt and Kim with Bearstronaut and Made Violent
  • June 11: Arkells with Robert DeLong and Milo Greene
  • June 18: Everclear with Fuel and American HiFi
  • June 25: Spoon with July Talk
  • July 2: The Sheepdogs with Yonder Mountain String Band
  • July 9: Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  • July 16: The BPO “Buffalo’s All-Star Tribute to Stevie Wonder”
  • July 23: Bad Fish “A Tribute to Sublime” and Reel Big Fish
  • July 30: Iron and Wine with Ben Bridwell
  • August 6: Umphrey’s McGee and Aqueous
  • August 13: Get The Led Out “The American Led Zeppelin”
  • August 20: EnVogue

Good lineup this year. D4rk, I assume you're in for Bosstones and Reel Big Fish? haha

The two dates I should be in town for are "meh", Sheepdogs and one of Led Out or En Vogue.

Saw Steel Panther in Raleigh last week, and as usual just an awesome display of musicianship in a comedy spoof rock show.

Next week is Rush in Greensboro.  From the reports that I've read the boys have dusted off some classics for this tour with the second set having many of their 70's prog rock epics that haven't shown up in a set list in 30 years or more.  Jacob's Ladder, Cygnus X-1, Xanadu, Lakeside Park... should be awesome. 

Edited by Claude_Verret

It is an interesting venue.  How did Security handle that crowd / dancing?  

There was mosh pits.  It didn't seem to me that security was actively breaking them up.  And the bands all encouraged it.  There was crowd surfing too.  Each time it broke out it didn't last long so maybe they were discouraging it.  Is it typical for security to not allow this?

There was mosh pits.  It didn't seem to me that security was actively breaking them up.  And the bands all encouraged it.  There was crowd surfing too.  Each time it broke out it didn't last long so maybe they were discouraging it.  Is it typical for security to not allow this?

Good to hear.  Yeah idk what is typical these days, but my one experience there, SSPU/Cage Elephant a few years ago (fairly mild as it goes), got two-handed in the back to the floor by giant security guy "NO MOSHING!".  I'm a 40+ year old skinny guy, the pit was fine until he showed up and started destroying people.  Left a bad taste with that place.

So I had tickets for this show for quite some time, then last week it looked like I had a conflict so I had to dump them.  Yesterday morning the work obligation was canceled so I figured I'd try to get a ticket at the last minute.  Floor seats in the first 10 rows were going for $300-500 on the secondary market, so around noon I figured what the heck I'll try ticketmaster.. I scored row A of the lower bowl about 12 rows back stage left for face value.  

What a show boys and girls.  Rush just keeps getting better and better with age, it's truly a shame that this appears to be their last major tour, but quite frankly I'm amazed that Neil Peart can still play drums like he does at his age.  The show began with another great intro video, a cartoon of the band members and how their wardrobes and looks changed through time set to Rush music.  At the end of the video, it shows a Greensboro, NC road sign with a tagline of "We Do BBQ Better".  Interested to see what they use for the Buffalo show....

They opened with three songs off their most recent album Clockwork Angels, then proceeded to perform songs from albums in reverse chronological order throughout the show.  As they played roadies in the red Moving Pictures jumpsuits were changing out the stage set to correspond with what their stage looked like for the given time.  So they began with their massive current stage light show, back through the laser era, until the encore it looked they were playing in a high school gym with their amps set up on chairs. Very cool.

Some highlights..

I'm not a big fan of the Roll The Bones rap experiment, but they made it enjoyable this time with celebrity guests for the rap section including Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, the trailer park boys, someone from Game of Thrones and a few others I didn't recognize.

Complete version of Xanadu with Ged and Alex both on double neck guitars.

Both books of Cygnus X-1, The Voyage and Hemispheres.

Jacob's Ladder...with the obligatory smell of fine weed in the air

The Camera Eye.

Of course the Neil Peart drum solos which are worth the price of admission on their own.

The encore with video introduction by Eugene Levy dressed circa 1975 announcing " a nice little 3 piece that might need just a little more punch to their sound, and they once opened for Kiss, can you believe that?"  The curtain drops to the sparse stage set made to look like a high school gym and they launch into Lakeside Park, Anthem, What You're Doing and Working Man.

A show not to be missed.  

So I had tickets for this show for quite some time, then last week it looked like I had a conflict so I had to dump them.  Yesterday morning the work obligation was canceled so I figured I'd try to get a ticket at the last minute.  Floor seats in the first 10 rows were going for $300-500 on the secondary market, so around noon I figured what the heck I'll try ticketmaster.. I scored row A of the lower bowl about 12 rows back stage left for face value.  

What a show boys and girls.  Rush just keeps getting better and better with age, it's truly a shame that this appears to be their last major tour, but quite frankly I'm amazed that Neil Peart can still play drums like he does at his age.  The show began with another great intro video, a cartoon of the band members and how their wardrobes and looks changed through time set to Rush music.  At the end of the video, it shows a Greensboro, NC road sign with a tagline of "We Do BBQ Better".  Interested to see what they use for the Buffalo show....

They opened with three songs off their most recent album Clockwork Angels, then proceeded to perform songs from albums in reverse chronological order throughout the show.  As they played roadies in the red Moving Pictures jumpsuits were changing out the stage set to correspond with what their stage looked like for the given time.  So they began with their massive current stage light show, back through the laser era, until the encore it looked they were playing in a high school gym with their amps set up on chairs. Very cool.

Some highlights..

I'm not a big fan of the Roll The Bones rap experiment, but they made it enjoyable this time with celebrity guests for the rap section including Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, the trailer park boys, someone from Game of Thrones and a few others I didn't recognize.

Complete version of Xanadu with Ged and Alex both on double neck guitars.

Both books of Cygnus X-1, The Voyage and Hemispheres.

Jacob's Ladder...with the obligatory smell of fine weed in the air

The Camera Eye.

Of course the Neil Peart drum solos which are worth the price of admission on their own.

The encore with video introduction by Eugene Levy dressed circa 1975 announcing " a nice little 3 piece that might need just a little more punch to their sound, and they once opened for Kiss, can you believe that?"  The curtain drops to the sparse stage set made to look like a high school gym and they launch into Lakeside Park, Anthem, What You're Doing and Working Man.

A show not to be missed.  

It was an amazing show last night! That's a great recap!

I actually have a "secret" spot to watch shows there. It works pretty well - I used it for Fleetwood Mac earlier this year and Paul McCartney last fall.

I've seen Rush three times going back to 1988 and they sound as amazing as always! I wore my Tragically Hip shirt because I knew someone would notice it and of course got into a friendly argument about coaches with someone in a Leafs jersey.

That set list was definitely one for the real fans. I'm glad you got to go!

A show not to be missed.  

Sniff.  Beautiful, man.