Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

I know there are a lot of younger people on this board, but it really is sad that rock and roll is taking a beating in today's messed up world of music. And obviously everyone knows my favourite band but this is what it's all about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/11715951/ACDC-Wembley-Stadium-review-forever-rocking-forever-Young.html

Great piece. I'm officially a fossil. I remember the day I got the Dirty Deeds Album. 

I went to Firefly this year.  2nd time seeing Paul McCartney live.  Wasn't as earth-shattering (amazing, life changing, incredible) as the first time.  But it was the first time my little sister saw him, so good enough for me.

Sublime's set was awesome until it got interrupted by a huge thunderstorm.  Because of that storm I didn't get to see Lettuce at all :(

Cage the Elephant was awesome.  Great energy.

I looking for some suggestions on albums to listen to. I've been frustrated with the music being released these days so I have been looking to the 50's, 60's & 70's for music. I've been listening to Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, the Beatles, early Steve Miller Band, Cat Stevens, Marvin Gaye,  John Coltrane & early Led Zeppelin. Right now I have a rotation of Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life', Cream's 'Disraeli Gears' and the Yardbird's 'Roger the Engineer' on the iPod. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.   

I'm surprised, there's so much good music coming out that I'm sad I can't keep up with it. I'm not talking about the radio though, you have to go find it. And maybe my definition of "these days" is a little loose, I take that to mean anything in the last 10 years. My recommendation is to try Pandora or something similar and start picking odd artists and listen to their "channel" for awhile. Often, the primary artist is good, but some of the related tracks are great. I'll give you two leads that I like: Asteroids Galaxy Tour (props to someone on here that got me turned onto them in the "Stuck in my Head" thread) and Hank Williams III. OK, one more: Dirty Dozen Brass Band (found that one through the Frankie Yankovic channel).

I went to Firefly this year.  2nd time seeing Paul McCartney live.  Wasn't as earth-shattering (amazing, life changing, incredible) as the first time.  But it was the first time my little sister saw him, so good enough for me.

Sublime's set was awesome until it got interrupted by a huge thunderstorm.  Because of that storm I didn't get to see Lettuce at all :(

Cage the Elephant was ###### awesome.  Great energy.

I need to see Lettuce one of these days.

Edited by MattPie

I'm surprised, there's so much good music coming out that I'm sad I can't keep up with it. I'm not talking about the radio though, you have to go find it. And maybe my definition of "these days" is a little loose, I take that to mean anything in the last 10 years. My recommendation is to try Pandora or something similar and start picking odd artists and listen to their "channel" for awhile. Often, the primary artist is good, but some of the related tracks are great. I'll give you two leads that I like: Asteroids Galaxy Tour (props to someone on here that got me turned onto them in the "Stuck in my Head" thread) and Hank Williams III. OK, one more: Dirty Dozen Brass Band (found that one through the Frankie Yankovic channel).

I fecking hate country music.  But I really dig Hank III.  He's the anti-Nashville.

That's similar to how I find new music to listen to these days.  I usually have some music streaming through Google music at night on the porch on a radio station made based on artists that I already enjoy.  When a song comes on that catches my ear I add it to my "New Music I Like" playlist and dive deeper into those bands from there.  A band I am into recently as a result of this process is Blackberry Smoke.  Highly recommended if you enjoy Skynyrd / southern rock.

I fecking hate country music.  But I really dig Hank III.  He's the anti-Nashville.

I assume you mean the country-pop tripe.  I despise that stuff as well, but there are some great alt-country/americana bands out there these days.  Jason Isbell formerly of Drive By Truckers is one of my favorites.

That's similar to how I find new music to listen to these days.  I usually have some music streaming through Google music at night on the porch on a radio station made based on artists that I already enjoy.  When a song comes on that catches my ear I add it to my "New Music I Like" playlist and dive deeper into those bands from there.  A band I am into recently as a result of this process is Blackberry Smoke.  Highly recommended if you enjoy Skynyrd / southern rock.

I assume you mean the country-pop tripe.  I despise that stuff as well, but there are some great alt-country/americana bands out there these days.  Jason Isbell formerly of Drive By Truckers is one of my favorites.

No, I dislike pretty much all country.  I was force fed Hee Haw every Friday evening as a youth, and I just can't stomach the stuff.  DBT is OK I guess.  I tolerate it better than most, but its not really my bag.  HWIII though, I dig. Maybe it is the darker lyrical content and really old school sound.

Deluca, wanna get new music to listen to?  Find out what is on a early-mid 20's male phone and explore some of that.  I'm pretty sure my new music exposure would have stopped if it weren't for my son having tastes in music that essentially are the lineage of what I listened to in my teens and 20's.

Edited by weave

Great band live.  You may also like the Robison brothers  the live album rocks. 

Just got back from Chicago for the last 3 Grateful Dead Concerts. Pretty amazing weekend. So many friends made the trip, and we broke the attendance record for Soldier field 3x's.  Musically is was fantastic, Chicago was very laid back in regards to fans. Parking lots were a huge party and the streets of Chicago near the arena were going strong till daylight every night after the shows.

Trey filled is quite admirably at guitar.. I left wanting more...  "They're a band beyond description, like Jehovah's favorite choir, people joining hand hand, while the music plays the band, they're setting us on fire"

There is lots of good music to be found out there

If you like bluegrass instrumentation with an edge youtube railroad earth

Totally unplanned but saw George Clinton and Parliament last night in Rochester.

Great time.. great music, entertaining crowd to say the least.

$5 ticket.  Worth it.

Victor Wooten plays in a few weeks but I'll be out of town.  sigh.

Not a fan but went to Kenny Chesney last night through a work function. Went backstage and met him. Pretty cool. He is a tiny little man.

DId he think your tractor was sexy? 

Totally unplanned but saw George Clinton and Parliament last night in Rochester.

Great time.. great music, entertaining crowd to say the least.

$5 ticket.  Worth it.

Victor Wooten plays in a few weeks but I'll be out of town.  sigh.

Some of my coworkers saw him- said George put on a helluva show. 

Wooten's amazing. 

DId he think your tractor was sexy? 

Some of my coworkers saw him- said George put on a helluva show. 

Wooten's amazing. 

Saw Wooten play on the SMV Thunder tour stop at Jazz fest a few years ago.  Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten.. one stage... no words to describe that awesomeness.

And yea.. George put on a helluva show.

Just got back from Chicago for the last 3 Grateful Dead Concerts. Pretty amazing weekend. So many friends made the trip, and we broke the attendance record for Soldier field 3x's. Musically is was fantastic, Chicago was very laid back in regards to fans. Parking lots were a huge party and the streets of Chicago near the arena were going strong till daylight every night after the shows.

Trey filled is quite admirably at guitar.. I left wanting more... "They're a band beyond description, like Jehovah's favorite choir, people joining hand hand, while the music plays the band, they're setting us on fire"

There is lots of good music to be found out there

If you like bluegrass instrumentation with an edge youtube railroad earth

Sorry friend the Grateful Dead ceased to exist after 8 9 95. You saw 4 greedy old men driven by Jill Lesh. Also Earnie can't shine Jerry's shoes

Sorry friend the Grateful Dead ceased to exist after 8 9 95. You saw 4 greedy old men driven by Jill Lesh. Also Earnie can't shine Jerry's shoes

One thing I can say is that there will never be another guitar like Jerry....I could listen to that all day, every day. 

Going to O.A.R at Artpark tomorrow and then off to Newport Folk Festival in 2 weeks. They have some pretty damn good bands lined up this year. Roger Waters even joined in on Friday...

ROTFLMAO

nothing could be further from the truth. Tickets for these shows were still cheaper than the majority of big name acts playing these sized venues. Hell even the stones were charging more for their tickets, and everyone who went to the stones says it was a great time and worth the price. The last 4 members have been playing shows ever since Jerry passed, what could possibly be wrong with them recapturing that on their 50 year anniversary???  Man that is hilarious, those 3 shows were FANTASTIC. still have goosebumps from them. I saw more than 80 shows pre-95, and the 3 in Chicago last weekend are up there with my favorite Dead shows ever. The whole weekend surpassed my expectations and I would gladly see that band play again

but you've made up your mind so the debate would be useless. and I can tell you the more than 70K who were attending that show and most all that streamed those shows will tell you it was worth every single penny

let me guess you are one of those Trey haters that just needs to whine about something.

If you are even a fan I strongly suggest you watch the shows the music was fantastic, and that is the only thing it was about.

Edited by ddaryl

80 show huh.... i did 239 from 1984 to 1995.... Earnie was a bad choice, Steve Kimock Stu Allen Jimmy Hering Warren Haynes all wouldve been better choices. santa clara shows were a joke of a rehearsal, the chicago shows were better than santa clara but thats not saying much. not an earnie hater just think the previously mentioned cats wouldve been better. post 88 it was the touch head trustafarian infestation that started the scenes demise although 90 was a great year on tour. to each his own.......plant ice harvest wind

Saw the Eagles last night in Charlottesville. I can't imagine a better performance and sound, considering the mileage on those guys. They looked great too- granted I was in the nosebleeds. Glenn Frey seems like a pretty cool dude.

I would highly recommend checking them out, as they are swing through Buffalo this weekend I think.

• 3 weeks later...