Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

Bought tickets to see The Cure for the 1700th and likely the last ever time over the weekend. Maryland in June. To this day, the show I caught in Toronto in 2000 was one of the best nights of my life.  Hopefully Bob and the gang (interested to see how Reeves Gabriels changes the dynamic in person) have one more great show left in them.  That I'll be there for, that is.

• 2 months later...

The Residents are playing Boston in late April. I saw them as a stripped down threesome in a club a few years back. I'm sorry I never saw their more elaborate shows.

Bryan Ferry is playing on my wife's birthday. She stuffer one who introduced me to Roxy Music.

Van Morrison is sold out already.

Tacocat is playing the Middle East in Cambridge.

The Avett Brothers are apparently playing the Chautauqua Amphitheater on July 8. 

Before I get tickets, I figured I'd ask here: Has anyone been to see a modern act (or any act) at that venue? I haven't. I'm curious to know what it's like there -- both in terms of the facility itself and the "regulars" who are likely to attend.

For those who don't know, The Avett Brothers put on a very lively show that will tend to get a bit loud and rambunctious (see below for an example). Is the Chautauqua Institute ready for that sort of hootin' and hollerin'?

One of my mainstays, the Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, will be coming back to Buffalo this year. Wednesday May 4th at the Tralf. I will probably be there. 

Also the forever rockin Reverend Horton Heat will be at the Tralf on Friday April 29th. If you wanna get your face melted off you should go to this show too. 

The Avett Brothers are apparently playing the Chautauqua Amphitheater on July 8. 

Before I get tickets, I figured I'd ask here: Has anyone been to see a modern act (or any act) at that venue? I haven't. I'm curious to know what it's like there -- both in terms of the facility itself and the "regulars" who are likely to attend.

For those who don't know, The Avett Brothers put on a very lively show that will tend to get a bit loud and rambunctious (see below for an example). Is the Chautauqua Institute ready for that sort of hootin' and hollerin'?

They've had country acts in that venue.  The character of the crowd varies with the act.  There will be regulars, but the bulk of the crowd will likely be from the typical ticket buying public.  I think it will be like their normal shows..

*Owned a time share in the Institution for a long time, but never attended a concert at the Amphitheater.  Never heard of residents complaining about the acts that played there.  

Edited by We've

They've had country acts in that venue.  The character of the crowd varies with the act.  There will be regulars, but the bulk of the crowd will likely be from the typical ticket buying public.  I think it will be like their normal shows..

*Owned a time share in the Institution for a long time, but never attended a concert at the Amphitheater.  Never heard of residents complaining about the acts that played there.  

Good man, We've. Much obliged.

What's the alcohol situation likely to be? Non-existent?

One of my mainstays, the Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, will be coming back to Buffalo this year. Wednesday May 4th at the Tralf. I will probably be there. 

Also the forever rockin Reverend Horton Heat will be at the Tralf on Friday April 29th. If you wanna get your face melted off you should go to this show too. 

OK, so I guess I need to see Rev. Horton Heat as well....love that Gretsch guitar!

Good man, We've. Much obliged.

What's the alcohol situation likely to be? Non-existent?

Good question.  As of 3 years ago the only place I know alcohol to be served on grounds was in the hotel restaurant.  I assume that hasn't changed, but I don't know.  Alcohol was forbidden in the public areas.  I assume that also hasn't changed.  The Amphitheater was always considered part of the public area.

They are constructing a new amphitheater, no?  Maybe the rules change with the new venue?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Good question.  As of 3 years ago the only place I know alcohol to be served on grounds was in the hotel restaurant.  I assume that hasn't changed, but I don't know.  Alcohol was forbidden in the public areas.  I assume that also hasn't changed.  The Amphitheater was always considered part of the public area.

They are constructing a new amphitheater, no?  Maybe the rules change with the new venue?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks - good to know.

There are plans to build a replacement amphitheater, yes. Those plans are currently on hold owing to some preservationist litigation. In any event, this summer's season will be using the old place.

Neko Case at Asbury Hall in a few weeks. I can't imagine a better pairing (incredible female voice in a beautiful church with great acoustics). Her band is something else too. 

Asbury Hall has had a great run of women rockers of late. Makes sense, given the venue's owner. I caught Sleater-Kinney there last year. They were terrific.

Asbury Hall has had a great run of women rockers of late. Makes sense, given the venue's owner. I caught Sleater-Kinney there last year. They were terrific.

I would liked to have made it to that Sleater-Kinney show but the timing didn't work out. I respect bands that are better live than on record and they strike me as one of those acts.

Weave likes Coldplay.

Coldplay is good!  We got 8/6 in Philly.  Taking the entire fam (5). Will be first concert for the younger two, (13 & 11).  We'll spend the weekend, Liberty Bell, Rocky, etc.

Want to see Foals but out of town that week they are in Roc & Buf.

Unimpressed with the festival line-ups I've seen this far (Coachella, Wayhome, etc) seems like an off year.  Though a Roc band is playing Coachella, JoyWave (also big Sabres/Amerks fans I guess) so that is cool.  

• 2 months later...

So I bailed on seeing pearl jam in Philly in favor of seeing Guns N Roses in Philly.

And what do the AC/DC fans think of Axl taking over for Brian Johnson for the rest of the rock or bust tour? http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ac-dc-confirm-axl-rose-is-new-lead-singer-joining-band-on-tour-20160416

I'd love to get to the Billy Joel concert in Pittsburgh on July 1. Never seen him and I know the opportunities will be dwindling. As much as he acts like he's going to perform forever, at his age, you never know. Anyone else interested? I'm sure NS is out...