Honeymoon in Hockey Hell officially over

PromoTheRobot

To defend Jerry a bit... the new owner came in and spent a ton of money acquiring some "name" players (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr) who were supposed to better this year's team over last year's team ... yet the team clearly did not improve (ignoring injuries and such). So what is a local sports writer supposed to say? That everything is on track as it should be? Jerry's job is to stir the pot. Not to spread sunshine and rainbows. The mere fact that everyone is on here talking about his columns means that Jerry is doing his job, which is to increase readership of the Buffalo News.

It's tough either being accused of jumping off the bandwagon if you don't support this mediocrity , or accused of having your support ($) lead to the status quo. The reason the F'N Quiet Center is quiet is because we've had too many years of disappointment and nobody wants to get their hopes up, so we sit like a bunch of zombies waiting for failure, which inevitably comes. But because we didn't cheer, we feel better becasue we didn't invest. It's a vicious cycle with nothing in sight that would indicate anything different.

Why am I a hockey fan? Oh yeah.....it's the best sport there is, but I was born in a region where something in the water seems to hinder sports mangement. I could write the same thing on twobillsdrive, but the alchohol consumed over there at least seesm to dull the pain.

Self pity? There is a difference between self pity and frustration. When you have the same performance season after season, I think it's a little hard to be gleeful. You say we have the skill but we don't have the fighting spirit. How do we obtain that fighting spirit? From the coach? The captain? Who?

You're speaking on behalf of the entire fan base now?

You're kidding me right? You think the fan's demeanor would be this way if we had won last year, or two seasons ago or even 06/07? My money is on no. This city wants a championship. We have never had one. To sit there and try to pretend that this isn't the root of the so called "self pity" that is plaguing this city is contradictory. Why do you think fans are upset? You think we sit here and enjoy the same pathetic performance season after season.

Toronto has made changes. That is where the difference lies. This organization has ignored it.

It seems as though you guys are defending organizations that are giving us zero results.

Would you continue to go to the same mechanic if he/she (PC :P) never seems to be able to fix your car's problem?

Everyone has to get the fighting spirit for themselves, or get it as a team. Mental toughness is what we lacked for a portion of that season. Hopefully it'll just be a season scratched up as 'learning from your mistakes' and next year we'll come back stronger and harder.

To reply to the last bit it sounds to me as if you might be excusing self pity and looking for an excuse, well I'm sure you're not but it sounds a bit like that. I'm sure the fan base would be different, or if we didnt repeat would we be the same with higher expectations? Unanswerable question imho.

I see the sentiment that Terry Pegula is the biggest fan, on here. It's nice to think that he's just one of us. The truth is, that he is was a fracking tycoon, prior to owning the Sabres. His relationship with the media will be more Wall St., than Main St. Keeping in mind that he was a fracking tycoon, perhaps the honeymoon is over, for me.

I see the sentiment that Terry Pegula is the biggest fan, on here. It's nice to think that he's just one of us. The truth is, that he is was a fracking tycoon, prior to owning the Sabres. His relationship with the media will be more Wall St., than Main St. Keeping in mind that he was a fracking tycoon, perhaps the honeymoon is over, for me.

You can never forget he was a 'natural gas' tychoon as well, you don't do well in that industry by being a nice guy all the time.

To defend Jerry a bit... the new owner came in and spent a ton of money acquiring some "name" players (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr) who were supposed to better this year's team over last year's team ... yet the team clearly did not improve (ignoring injuries and such). So what is a local sports writer supposed to say? That everything is on track as it should be? Jerry's job is to stir the pot. Not to spread sunshine and rainbows. The mere fact that everyone is on here talking about his columns means that Jerry is doing his job, which is to increase readership of the Buffalo News.

We all know how helpful it is to have some douchebag tell you something didn't work after the fact. Who wouldn't want that?

I expect the media to recognize that the owner is investing in the team, more than the previous owners. And that the guy who was smart enough to become a self-made billionaire doesn't make rash, kneejerk moves. In Terry Pegula's mind this is year #1, not year #16. All he knows is what R&R have done while under his employ. If the Sabres fall flat next season then change will likely occur but Terry Pegula isn't going to jump just because hacks like Sully and Bucky say so.

PTR

You can never forget he was a 'natural gas' tychoon as well, you don't do well in that industry by being a nice guy all the time.

The only way I would make any judgement of Pegula, based on him making money in the energy industry, would be if he didn't.

When the chips are down, Jerry is good at heaping scorn. He can articulate the angry voice from the end of the bar.

That's the only bullet in his holster and I can get that in a far more entertaining fashion from this board.

He's been around about as long as Ruff with less success.

And his message is far more stale.

Exactly. Just about anybody could write Sullivan's columns for him if he wanted to write about the Bills or Sabres, and the content would be thematically identical. He just doesn't bring anything new to the table.

It does. Just like it deserves better reporting than The Buffalo News provides. The other day on WGR Jerry Sullivan proclaimed Derek Roy a #1 center and couldn't name a single center he'd rank between Roy and Crosby. But that's alright, I don't expect Sullivan to know what he's talking about, everybody with an ounce of brains knows his shtick. But Bucky Gleason is supposed to be the hockey guy, the successor to Jim Kelley......and he suggested Pierre McGuire for GM and said he'd rather have Jordan Staal than Malkin. And Mike Harrington is basically Jerry Sullivan, Jr. John Vogl is a good reporter, but doesn't really add much in my opinion. Is it so much to ask to want some insight from one of 4 guys at the News?

Thats scary considering Pitts alone has 2 centers better than Roy without crosby (Malkin by far and I'd say Staal is better).

Other centers better than Roy:

Eric Staal

Sedin

Kesler

Spezza

Thorton

Tavares

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Stamkos

Backes

Bergeron

Richards

and thats the short list for Mr. Silly Sullivan... I need a job maybe I should take his.

Anyways, Pegula and Black said we were on the road to a cup. This team would have been better off tanking. I am sorry thats not a popular sentiment. I honestly don't give a damn. We now have a 12th pick instead of a 7-9th and guess what? The Status Quo until I see otherwise has been maintained. Why wouldn't I be frustrated. Of course I think Black and Pegula will only wait 1 more season for results before Ruff and Regier are on the chopping block.

Thats scary considering Pitts alone has 2 centers better than Roy without crosby (Malkin by far and I'd say Staal is better).

Other centers better than Roy:

Eric Staal

Sedin

Kesler

Spezza

Thorton

Tavares

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Stamkos

Backes

Bergeron

Richards

and thats the short list for Mr. Silly Sullivan... I need a job maybe I should take his.

Anyways, Pegula and Black said we were on the road to a cup. This team would have been better off tanking. I am sorry thats not a popular sentiment. I honestly don't give a damn. We now have a 12th pick instead of a 7-9th and guess what? The Status Quo until I see otherwise has been maintained. Why wouldn't I be frustrated. Of course I think Black and Pegula will only wait 1 more season for results before Ruff and Regier are on the chopping block.

you forgot Hodgson ;)

The only way I would make any judgement of Pegula, based on him making money in the energy industry, would be if he didn't.

If he chose not to frack, and didn't make money accordingly, he wouldn't be a billionaire. If the point is to make the most money, in the most opportune way, then he did that. That doesn't make him, also, a billionaire in the niceness, or rightness currency.

About Sullivan: he goes way over the top. I'm not about to defend him. Period.

Well that's not my intention at all. Sorry if it seemed that way. My main point is that every season fans buy tickets, but jersey supports the teams and local bars. When Time Warner lost the MSG feed, you bet myself and tons of other fans found other ways to see games. I just feel that this organization needs to realize that scratching for the 8 seed two seasons in a row, is nowhere near where they need to be; and I'm sure they do. But they need to make changes whether it be to the "core" or on the suit level. Show the fans and the rest of the league that this team is serious about winning.

I only used Toronto because someone used them as well as the Isles as examples of under performing organizations.

I don't think any team other than Edmonton and the Islanders aspire for the basement on a consistent basis. I'm pretty sure they are all aware that the first person to win a championship in Buffalo will likely have a monument built for them and have City Hall renamed for them.

That's the problem with society. People seem to think they should just throw some crap around even when it's not necessary. What Jerry should do is focus elsewhere. Just because people are talking about you doesn't mean it's a good thing.

you forgot Hodgson ;)

And Ennis :)

If his job is merely to stir the pot, TBN could get someone to do it more cheaply and more effectively by simply asking Drane or DeLuca for permission to reprint their posts.

Stir the pot is a cop-out. Jim Kelley stirred the pot just fine with facts, not venom.

The issue is not Sullivan's negativity, it is his weak research, weak analysis and his lack of anything fresh to say.

I expect more from a columnist and so should the News.

If his job is merely to stir the pot, TBN could get someone to do it more cheaply and more effectively by simply asking Drane or DeLuca for permission to reprint their posts.

Stir the pot is a cop-out. Jim Kelley stirred the pot just fine with facts, not venom.

The issue is not Sullivan's negativity, it is his weak research, weak analysis and his lack of anything fresh to say.

This. I would much rather have someone from this forum writing his column.

This. Accountability!! Hiding !!! weak !!! grrrrrrrrr

He has the occassion to write a nice article from time to time, then he puts one of these out that sounds like a sore loser/brat. The guy has admitted he doesnt watch much hockey and he has no background in the sport.

He's a rabble rouser, nothing more.

It's tough either being accused of jumping off the bandwagon if you don't support this mediocrity , or accused of having your support ($) lead to the status quo. The reason the F'N Quiet Center is quiet is because we've had too many years of disappointment and nobody wants to get their hopes up, so we sit like a bunch of zombies waiting for failure, which inevitably comes. But because we didn't cheer, we feel better becasue we didn't invest. It's a vicious cycle with nothing in sight that would indicate anything different.

Signs of intelligence.

I'll add that most Buffalo fans have enough hockey intelligence to recognize good on-ice performance during a game, and that can occaisionallly break the cycle. But it's been an important distinction lately in how our fandom differs from other teams: we need to be convinced by the team that the team is playing well and is going to win.

A season like this comes down to one question.

Why were the Sabres not 5 games better than their record? (99 pts instead of 89)

The reasons are pretty obvious to me.

A stretch of injuries in key areas, esp. on D.

And secondly, the forwards were just not that hard to match up against because the lines weren't balanced.

You could have a presser about it, or you could STFU and get better at forward/center.

Yeah, I'm for having the press conference after the draft/free agency/trades so they can talk about what they're doing, not what they didn't do. We know what they didn't do.

Ultimately those pressers start to look silly. Really silly. Brian Burke is a great example.

They force the organization to spell out how they are going to get better, when they can't even talk to players until July 1 because of tampering rules.

The best thing to say is that you plan to be aggressive, and that you'll be open for business.

Anywho........there was nothing to be learned from a presser that couldn't have been learned from a 10 min. conference call.

Actually, I would argue a press conference at this point in the calendar is a lose-lose situation for your entire organization.

Besides.....Sully works for WGR, why didn't he call in? :lol:

You were snoozin Sully.

Ultimately those pressers start to look silly. Really silly. Brian Burke is a great example.

this is a great point. and i was someone who earlier posted that the failure to have an end of season presser had an aroma to it.

X prompts me to think as follows: there is an orthodoxy to the idea that a non-playoff team must promptly hold a presser and face the media's music. in that scenario, of course the media acts as the fans' surrogates and asks questions on our behalf. <_<

so they didn't hold a presser. instead, black went on GR for an hour and answered all questions from all comers (including a crank who said that black did those sorts of appearances to stroke his own ego (gimme a fookin' break)).

to paraphrase X, and in the words of ani difranco (wha--?!): "there isn't much that i have to say/that i wouldn't rather just shut up and do."

thanks again, X.

Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason are 2 hack jobs. Gleason was busting Pegula's balls for not saying anything about the Penn State scandal. Whoop-Dee-Freaking-Doo Bucky!!

Pegula said when he bought the Sabres, he felt the team could win the Cup in 3 years. Well, this was year one, not year three. Does everyone have a right to be pissed off that the Sabres missed the playoffs? Absolutely. But you can't be pissed at Pegula for trying. The previous owners, especially Golisano have been cheap. They wanted to either break even, or make a profit. Golisano did not want to sign players to long-term contracts (see Tallinder & Lydman). Pegula on the other hand said there would be no financial mandates on the team, so he gave Regier a green light to spend big. This was Regier's first time as Sabres GM to go after high-profile players. All of his offseason moves have looked good, except for one: Ville Leino. But, Regier traded for Hodgson & Sulzer, and got a 1st rounder for Gaustad. Now the Sabres have 2 1st round draft picks, and two 2nd round picks.

Are Pegula, Black and Regier going to be perfect with every decision they make? No. Pegula & Ruff have every right to judge their coach & GM from the start of their tenure, not the past 15 years. If the Sabres don't improve, and don't get closer their goal of winning the cup in three years, do you think the love fest Pegula has with Ruff & Regier will continue at the end of those 3 years? I highly doubt it. Pegula didn't become a Billionaire by accident, so give the guy some time. Hell, we've given Ralph Wilson 50+ years, he's proven to be a meddling owner, but yet Buffalo fans still support the team.

No matter what, even if the Sabres & Bills win championships, people will still have something to complain about. Yeah, we won but...

Archived