Honeymoon in Hockey Hell officially over

PromoTheRobot

416 days. That's how long it took for Terry Pegula to go from savior to pariah. And you know Larry Quinn is having himself a belly laugh this morning.

Jerry Sunshine officially threw the mayor of Hockey Heaven under the NFTA bus with his column today. "We waited a whole year, Terry. Where's our cup?!"

Terry is learning the hard way that Buffalo is more like Hockey Hell than heaven. Years of self-pity and loathing have turned this fan base into pathetic trolls, turning on every player, coach, GM, and now owner. I'd be laughing if it weren't so sad.

This is your thanks, Mr. Pegula. No one who tries to do good in this town goes unpunished.

PTR

416 days. That's how long it took for Terry Pegula to go from savior to pariah. And you know Larry Quinn is having himself a belly laugh this morning.

Jerry Sunshine officially threw the mayor of Hockey Heaven under the NFTA bus with his column today. "We waited a whole year, Terry. Where's our cup?!"

Terry is learning hard way that Buffalo is more like Hockey Hell than heaven. Years of self-pity and loathing have turned this fan base into pathetic trolls, turning on every player, coach, GM, and now owner. I'd be laughing if it weren't so sad.

This is your thanks, Mr. Pegula. No one who tries to do good in this town goes unpunished.

PTR

What do you expect after years of no championship titles from either one of your main (Bills and Sabres)? That's the nature of professional sports. I'm pretty sure organizations understand that.

I didn't expect a championship after one full season under his belt, but I definitely didn't expect to miss the playoffs. I think it's a little understandable for people to be disappointed or even angry; maybe not at him specifically, but rather the team's situation (performance).

He has done a lot of good for this organization, that can not be ignored. But come on, you have to admit, this city deserves better from BOTH the Bills and the Sabres.

Its true as a fan that Sully doesn't speak for me but I agree with him on the fact that Regier and Ruff should at least have had a year end presser. Have they ever skipped this grim formality before and if so why ? The fans that shell out money to see these games deserve better. There hasn't been accountability in Buffalo for 15 years and it appears this year is no different. I've got nothing against Terry P but like any owner selling a product he owes the people that buy his product or buy shares ( seats ) at least a Q & A session with the coach and G.M.

Because one guy who's job it is to sell newspapers clearly speaks for every single fan out there. The sooner people stop taking the so called media's word as gospel, the better. I will never understand why people complain about this stuff so often and yet they still read every single column. You want to talk about years of self-pity and loathing? There it is right there.

Because one guy who's job it is to sell newspapers clearly speaks for every single fan out there. The sooner people stop taking the so called media's word as gospel, the better. I will never understand why people complain about this stuff so often and yet they still read every single column. You want to talk about years of self-pity and loathing? There it is right there.

Brutal truth. I like it :flirt:

WTF cares what Jerry Sullivan thinks.

Right and right.

"What is the meaning of this?" Kavelerov asked weakly?

"Oh, will you stop asking that!" said Ivan angrily. "It doesn't mean anything"

He got out of bed and, holding on to his underwear with one hand, poured Kavelerov some wine.

"Let us drink a toast, Kavelerov... We've done a lot of talking about feelings. And my friend, we forgot the main one. We forgot... indifference. Isn't that right? It is. I think that indifference is the best of all possible attitudes of the human mind. Let us be indifferent, Kavelerov.

A press conference would not make anyone feel better. No matter what Ruff, Regier or Pegula does, there always something they didn't do. That's how the blame game works.

As for what the fans deserve, that's another red herring. All fans who don't win it all feel shafted. What do Toronto fans deserve? Islander fans? Oiler fans? But in Buffalo self-pity is part of everything, not just sports. Self-pity put Jerry's kids through college.

PTR

I advise you all to read the Bleacher report on why the teams missed the cup, page 15 is the Sabres and while some of their stuff is WILDLY off base this is actually good. High expectations and once Lucic popped the bubble the team collapsed and everyone questioned our toughness (rightly), everyone went high on the glove side of Miller and it went from bad to worse.

A press conference would not make anyone feel better. No matter what Ruff, Regier or Pegula does, there always something they didn't do. That's how the blame game works.

As for what the fans deserve, that's another red herring. All fans who don't win it all feel shafted. What do Toronto fans deserve? Islander fans? Oiler fans? But in Buffalo self-pity is part of everything, not just sports. Self-pity put Jerry's kids through college.

PTR

Has Buffalo ever won a cup?

Has Vancouver? Buffalo have come close but never made it. Self pity will still get you nowhere though, teams who fight, fall, then fight harder win. Pity never won anything. Look at Boston, they lose one of their own and they just come out harder and stronger. We just ran out meek and doubtful. We have the skill to take this to the top imho but we don't yet have that fighting spirit.

What does that have to do with anything? The Oilers and Islanders haven't won cups since the 80's, and the Sabres haven't even been in the league as long as its been since the Leafs won one. So once a franchise wins a cup, it means there fans deserve less then teams that haven't won?

What do you expect after years of no championship titles from either one of your main (Bills and Sabres)? That's the nature of professional sports. I'm pretty sure organizations understand that.

I didn't expect a championship after one full season under his belt, but I definitely didn't expect to miss the playoffs. I think it's a little understandable for people to be disappointed or even angry; maybe not at him specifically, but rather the team's situation (performance).

He has done a lot of good for this organization, that can not be ignored. But come on, you have to admit, this city deserves better from BOTH the Bills and the Sabres.

It does. Just like it deserves better reporting than The Buffalo News provides. The other day on WGR Jerry Sullivan proclaimed Derek Roy a #1 center and couldn't name a single center he'd rank between Roy and Crosby. But that's alright, I don't expect Sullivan to know what he's talking about, everybody with an ounce of brains knows his shtick. But Bucky Gleason is supposed to be the hockey guy, the successor to Jim Kelley......and he suggested Pierre McGuire for GM and said he'd rather have Jordan Staal than Malkin. And Mike Harrington is basically Jerry Sullivan, Jr. John Vogl is a good reporter, but doesn't really add much in my opinion. Is it so much to ask to want some insight from one of 4 guys at the News?

Terry is learning the hard way that Buffalo is more like Hockey Hell than heaven. Years of self-pity and loathing have turned this fan base into pathetic trolls, turning on every player, coach, GM, and now owner. I'd be laughing if it weren't so sad.

PTR

You make it seem like Buffalo is alone in the way they treat their team. It isn't. Also, fans have a right to feel any way they want to about their team. Some (even non-Buffalo fans) would say that we've earned that right even more than others.

Pegula knew the attitude and demeanor of the local media as soon as he took over--- didn't he get criticized by Sully for essentially calling them out as Negative Nancies in his post-press conference Q and A? Whether or not Terry's assessment of the media's role and relationship with the team was accurate, he came in with the knowledge that this is what he should expect.

If anything, the embarrassment of falling short will only strengthen his resolve that the team needs to continue to improve. He knows they're not there yet.

Has Vancouver? Buffalo have come close but never made it. Self pity will still get you nowhere though, teams who fight, fall, then fight harder win. Pity never won anything. Look at Boston, they lose one of their own and they just come out harder and stronger. We just ran out meek and doubtful. We have the skill to take this to the top imho but we don't yet have that fighting spirit.

Self pity? There is a difference between self pity and frustration. When you have the same performance season after season, I think it's a little hard to be gleeful. You say we have the skill but we don't have the fighting spirit. How do we obtain that fighting spirit? From the coach? The captain? Who?

Trust me. It wouldn't make us feel any better.

PTR

You're speaking on behalf of the entire fan base now?

What does that have to do with anything? The Oilers and Islanders haven't won cups since the 80's, and the Sabres haven't even been in the league as long as its been since the Leafs won one. So once a franchise wins a cup, it means there fans deserve less then teams that haven't won?

You're kidding me right? You think the fan's demeanor would be this way if we had won last year, or two seasons ago or even 06/07? My money is on no. This city wants a championship. We have never had one. To sit there and try to pretend that this isn't the root of the so called "self pity" that is plaguing this city is contradictory. Why do you think fans are upset? You think we sit here and enjoy the same pathetic performance season after season.

Toronto has made changes. That is where the difference lies. This organization has ignored it.

It seems as though you guys are defending organizations that are giving us zero results.

Would you continue to go to the same mechanic if he/she (PC :P) never seems to be able to fix your car's problem?

Self pity? There is a difference between self pity and frustration. When you have the same performance season after season, I think it's a little hard to be gleeful. You say we have the skill but we don't have the fighting spirit. How do we obtain that fighting spirit? From the coach? The captain? Who?

This city wants a championship. We have never had one. To sit there and try to pretend that this isn't the root of the so called "self pity" that is plaguing this city is contradictory. Why do you think fans are upset? You think we sit here and enjoy the same pathetic performance season after season.

Toronto has made changes. That is where the difference lies. This organization has ignored it.

It seems as though you guys are defending organizations that are giving us zero results.

Would you continue to go to the same mechanic if he/she (PC :P) never seems to be able to fix your car's problem?

just to play devil's advocate here: using Toronto as your basis of your argument is flawed in that Toronto has made a TON of changes since the lockout, but still have failed to make the playoffs over those 6+ years. You want to talk about making us look good?

This city wants a championship. We have never had one. To sit there and try to pretend that this isn't the root of the so called "self pity" that is plaguing this city is contradictory. Why do you think fans are upset? You think we sit here and enjoy the same pathetic performance season after season.

But you make it sound like if they don't win it every season, that seasons failed and had zero results. ONLY ONE TEAM CAN BE SUCCESSFUL EVERY YEAR AND WIN THE CUP. The Sabres, with Ruff and Regier have been closer to achieving that goal over their tenure then Toronto, Edmonton, the Islanders, and Many more teams have in that span. How long did Boston Fans have to wait to get another Cup? Blackhawks fans? etc.

The Sabres need to be held accountable. Jerry raises a good point about the double standard being set for players versus Lindy/Darcy.

Unfortunately he also taints his column by picking and choosing his facts:

Jerry Sullivan:"Evidently, Pegula did not feel compelled to explain why he kept his general manager and coach for a 16th season. "

Fact: Ted Black (the man who runs the Sabres for Pegula) explained the rationale during an hour-long radio stint on WGR and in interviews with the AP and with Jerry's own newspaper.

JS: "If public criticism hurts players, what did you think when two of your core guys, Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek, suggested that Ruff was guilty of that very thing?"

Fact: Watch the interview. Vanek did not suggest that at all despite being pushed very hard in that direction by the media scrum.

This is the sort of stuff that taints his credibility.

As far as the Sabres go, Jerry is neither connected, nor particularly insightful.

He seems to regard his role to be solely one of taking the firm position that those in charge are morons and then swooping in and attacking whenever an obvious opportunity presents itself.

That's a disservice to the reader. A good columnist needs to be able to show us something we haven't thought of before. He or she needs to be on no one's side.

That is why Jerry is not a good columnist.

When the chips are down, Jerry is good at heaping scorn. He can articulate the angry voice from the end of the bar.

That's the only bullet in his holster and I can get that in a far more entertaining fashion from this board.

He's been around about as long as Ruff with less success.

And his message is far more stale.

But you make it sound like if they don't win it every season, that seasons failed and had zero results. ONLY ONE TEAM CAN BE SUCCESSFUL EVERY YEAR AND WIN THE CUP. The Sabres, with Ruff and Regier have been closer to achieving that goal over their tenure then Toronto, Edmonton, the Islanders, and Many more teams have in that span. How long did Boston Fans have to wait to get another Cup? Blackhawks fans? etc.

Well that's not my intention at all. Sorry if it seemed that way. My main point is that every season fans buy tickets, but jersey supports the teams and local bars. When Time Warner lost the MSG feed, you bet myself and tons of other fans found other ways to see games. I just feel that this organization needs to realize that scratching for the 8 seed two seasons in a row, is nowhere near where they need to be; and I'm sure they do. But they need to make changes whether it be to the "core" or on the suit level. Show the fans and the rest of the league that this team is serious about winning.

just to play devil's advocate here: using Toronto as your basis of your argument is flawed in that Toronto has made a TON of changes since the lockout, but still have failed to make the playoffs over those 6+ years. You want to talk about making us look good?

I only used Toronto because someone used them as well as the Isles as examples of under performing organizations.

Well that's not my intention at all. Sorry if it seemed that way. My main point is that every season fans buy tickets, but jersey supports the teams and local bars. When Time Warner lost the MSG feed, you bet myself and tons of other fans found other ways to see games. I just feel that this organization needs to realize that scratching for the 8 seed two seasons in a row, is nowhere near where they need to be; and I'm sure they do. But they need to make changes whether it be to the "core" or on the suit level. Show the fans and the rest of the league that this team is serious about winning.

They have publically said they know they need to continue to make changes to get better and that they aren't happy with scratching to get into the 8th seed 2 years in a row. Its the fans that are saying they are happy with "Status Quo". But during the season, when they are sitting near the bottom of the standings, what more can they do then say they are going to continue to fight and try to scratch into 8th place? They were being realistic and could have very easily gave up on the year and try to lose it all. They said that they believed most of the struggles were due to the amount of injuries they were being hit with and not having a full healthy roster. The fans were the ones saying thats just an excuse, yet when the team was healthy again, they went on a long run that showed what they were capable of when healthy, and only struggled again when they were hit with a couple injuries to their best defencemen.

Who are we to say where the changes have to come from to make the team better? Everyone was ready to give Stafford away for nothing earlier this year, but when put on a line with Ennis and Foligno, he looked like the guy was playing to his potential. The same coach who everyone blames for the losing streak was the same coach who was in charge for the run they went on to get them almost back into the playoffs.

They have shown that they are serious about winning, its some of the fans who don't agree with their moves/methods that don't believe them cause its not what they think should be done

Archived