2012 Trade RUMOR Thread. (Keep the deadline thread for substantiated stuff).

Eleven

It does surprise me, he is their best player playing the most minutes... he should not have their worst plus minus... why are other teams scoring so many goals against his line??? ehrhoff was getting big minutes always against the best line of the other team in the case of a defenseman it is a little different.

+/- might be the most misleading statistic out there, as it's SO dependent on your team and can go up/down based on plays a player has less than nothing to do with. Gragnani still leads the Sabres at +10. I'm not the biggest Nash guy out there, but using his +/- doesn't really mean anything to me.

Tough isn't just fighting.

The reason why his +/- is so bad is the horrible team and horrible goaltending. Look at the team's stats - there are exactly 2 CBJ's who are on the plus side, and four that are even (two of which have played a combined six games). Everyone else is a minus. There are 10 Jackets with double-digit minus ratings.

That franchise is an utter, stinking mess.

This is better than the Sabres.

+/- might be the most misleading statistic out there, as it's SO dependent on your team and can go up/down based on plays a player has less than nothing to do with. Gragnani still leads the Sabres at +10. I'm not the biggest Nash guy out there, but using his +/- doesn't really mean anything to me.

read the article i just posted then

and weird how no one is a -22

so other than the stunning realization that I am Ted Mosby I have also come to the conclusion that there is not a center to acquire unless its a prospect (Couturier) or we TANK and Draft them...

Other rumor thoughts...

Crosby makes this team a cup contender if healthy... Vanek-Crosby-Pommers... AWESOME (ps NO crosby is not in play I am just saying)

Vanek and Nash are equivalent IMHO...

I am ok trading Miller but its got to be for a center.

I am ok trading Kassian, McNabb, or another prospect in a deal for a #1 center

Kane, Nash, and every other player I have heard of as being associated with Buffalo is not a natural center so we are screwed.

:flirt:

so other than the stunning realization that I am Ted Mosby I have also come to the conclusion that there is not a center to acquire unless its a prospect (Couturier) or we TANK and Draft them...

I've seen you bring him up a couple of times, are there rumors of him being available for some reason?

I've seen you bring him up a couple of times, are there rumors of him being available for some reason?

Sadly no. But he is a prospect who has looked good in his first season in the NHL. I wanted the Sabres to trade up and get him at the draft so now its more of a dream. I reference him as a center prospect because he is the type of prospect we should try and acquire.

6'4" 191 lbs and he has 3gwg and only 10 goals this season... he is technically not a prospect anymore but he provides the perfect model to reference.

Sadly no. But he is a prospect who has looked good in his first season in the NHL. I wanted the Sabres to trade up and get him at the draft so now its more of a dream. I reference him as a center prospect because he is the type of prospect we should try and acquire.

6'4" 191 lbs and he has 3gwg and only 10 goals this season... he is technically not a prospect anymore but he provides the perfect model to reference.

Please stop peddling this. Philly isn't trading him.

Other rumor thoughts...

Crosby makes this team a cup contender if healthy... Vanek-Crosby-Pommers... AWESOME (ps NO crosby is not in play I am just saying)

Vanek and Nash are equivalent IMHO...

I am ok trading Miller but its got to be for a center.

I am ok trading Kassian, McNabb, or another prospect in a deal for a #1 center

Kane, Nash, and every other player I have heard of as being associated with Buffalo is not a natural center so we are screwed.

:flirt:

Obviously agree we need a center but a couple of high scoring wingers wouldn't hurt. Just looked at the stats for the first time in a while. Stafford has 9, Leino 4, and Boyes 3. Just incredible.

Please stop peddling this. Philly isn't trading him.

Please stop policing the board... and I know. If you had taken the time to read my last post, you would have seen where I said that Couturier is a reference to the type of player we could probably get or should be looking for... that player being, a young center who has not or only just barely played in the NHL.

Also what makes me tossing out a players name in the "Rumors" thread a problem when 99% of the rumors being reported by "sources" are bogus anyways?

No it's not. The Sabres have four plus players (Grags +10, Gerbe +4, Goose +2, Hecht +1) and three even players (Szechura, Whitmore, Sekera). That's 7 that are even or better. Columbus has 2 + and 4 even, which is 6. Not to mention we have 3 with double-digit minus ratings, while CBJ has 10.

-----------------------------

EDIT: hate that this software now groups a new, somewhat unrelated post with your previous one when you're the last poster in the thread. Anyway....here's some speculation from the Columbus paper:

Along with Nash, the Blue Jackets are shopping centers Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette and Sammy Pahlsson, while listening to offers for just about anybody else on the roster, including winger R.J. Umberger, center Derick Brassard and goaltender Curtis Sanford.

The main attraction is Nash.

Boston, Los Angeles, the Rangers, San Jose and Toronto are believed to be on the approved list for Nash — he would have to waive a no-movement clause in his contract before he could be traded — but the return the Blue Jackets seek could vary widely from club to club.

The Blue Jackets are said to want at least one young roster player along with a combination of top prospects and quality draft picks. Using that criteria, the Rangers seem to make the most sense, and the New York Post reported on Tuesday that the two sides have had preliminary discussions.

http://www.bluejacke...e-for-nash.html

Along with Nash, the Blue Jackets are shopping centers Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette and Sammy Pahlsson, while listening to offers for just about anybody else on the roster, including winger R.J. Umberger, center Derick Brassard and goaltender Curtis Sanford.

The main attraction is Nash.

http://www.bluejacke...e-for-nash.html

I'll take Antoine Vermette thankyouverymuch.

Brassard was a healthy scratch for alot fo games early in the season. I don;t knwo what the problem is there but the kid has skills. Given our center sitaution there is room for him on my team right now.

Rumor had it he was available for a draft pick earlier this year.

Is Kane really any better than Nash? He's averaging about 10 more points per year than Nash when he was on a stacked team. And this year his numbers have been mediocre. He'd be yet another small forward on an already small team. I guess I'm not convinced that it is obvious that Kane is a better potential addition to our team than Nash would be. The only advantage I see in Kane over Nash is age and IMO neither is old enough that age is a concern to me.

As for the Kane-as-center discussion, see Leino, Hecht, Boyes. If we are getting Kane because he has center flexibility then we are choosing him for the wrong reason IMO.

this is a post I cannot throw pooh at.

honestly unless we are trading for a player of Jordan Staal's caliber or likeness we are not going to kill more than 1 bird with 1 stone... that 1 bird being a center... we need a center with grit who can score... Jordan Staal type player. Anyone know where we can find 1 of those? and they need to be available.

I don't agree with this at all. Bottom line is that there is no relevant example, because no elite player has ever joined the Sabres mid-career since DR and LR has been here. Ehrhoff and Leino are good players (and yes, I'm including Leino in that statement), but they aren't close to being at the Kane/Nash/Parise level. And while Leino certainly hasn't delivered what we were hoping for this year, Ehrhoff has been pretty good. And Boyes is several levels below Leino and Ehrhoff. He was in a career free fall for 2 seasons before joining the Sabres.

Moreover, I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you saying that there is no point in pursuing elite players because they will lose their mojo when they get here?

Don't be a slave to the stats, and for God's sake don't use Stafford in the same sentence as Nash. There's a reason Nash was chosen as Crosby's winger on the top line of one of the best hockey teams of all time.

I'd be thrilled if the Sabres got Kane (although I too am worried about the immature jerk factor), but Nash is better.

No Freeman I was just making an observation about players coming to Buffalo and their games falling off. I see 2 examples from last offseason, Leino and Ehrhoff. You can not honestly say eithers games haven't fallen off. Maybe thats a product of the trainwreck of a season in general. I don't know. I suppose you could say Boyes already was a bum when he got here. Of course its worth pursuing elite level talent. I'm just not sure Darcy is capable. I guess we'll see. With the 'elite' talent going back the other way,possibly 3 players or more for someone like Nash, do you not see his production falling somewhat with the plundered lineup he'd have to play with?

For the record...I'm fine with collecting 2nd rounders. The first round of the draft looks like a great year for defense. Which isn't a priority in Buffalo at the moment.

I think there will be some very functional centers available throughout the 2nd round. Pick a few ....maybe find a gem.

At this rate, they should be in the mix for Grigorenko. Edmonton will probably go with a blue liner this year with all the forward depth they've been drafting. That would leave Grigorenko there at the 3rd slot.

Thought this was interesting.... Columbus has been scouting us recently in every game, and John Vogl writes in the game night chat tonight there was 2 scouts tonight from Columbus, including Criag Patrick, who is their GM's top right hand man.

After tonight's game I wouldn't be surprised if they Jackets simply walked away. "Nothing to see here, move along."

Archived