2012 Trade RUMOR Thread. (Keep the deadline thread for substantiated stuff).

Eleven

Seriously?

As for Roy, I think people are under valuing him too much. Yes, he's having a terrible season. But career wise he has been solid. There will be many teams after him when we try to deal him. He was a point per game player last season before his injury vs. Florida in December.

I'm dead serious about Myers and Vanek. Who did Anaheim want in exchange for Getzlaf? It wasn't Vanek. I would guess just about every GM in the NHL would rather have Myers than Vanek.

As for Roy, I think he'll fetch a respectable return. But there is NFW that the Sabres will get an elite player in exhange for a package that has Roy as the centerpiece.

I'm dead serious about Myers and Vanek. Who did Anaheim want in exchange for Getzlaf? It wasn't Vanek. I would guess just about every GM in the NHL would rather have Myers than Vanek.

As for Roy, I think he'll fetch a respectable return. But there is NFW that the Sabres will get an elite player in exhange for a package that has Roy as the centerpiece.

The centerpiece will be one of more of the young players with a Roy/Stafford type thrown in.

I'm not sure why, but you always obfuscate the issue when you say Myers is better than Vanek. Myers is not the better player than Vanek right now. He's the more desirable player to obtain in a trade because he's younger and has insane potential, but if a team could add just one of them for a single playoff run in 2012 (i.e. not permanently) they'd pick Vanek.

The centerpiece will be one of more of the young players with a Roy/Stafford type thrown in.

So -- you think that the Sabres could get an elite player for, say, Kassian, McNabb and Roy? I think this is crazy talk.

I'm not sure why, but you always obfuscate the issue when you say Myers is better than Vanek. Myers is not the better player than Vanek right now. He's the more desirable player to obtain in a trade because he's younger and has insane potential, but if a team could add just one of them for a single playoff run in 2012 (i.e. not permanently) they'd pick Vanek.

Well, you could be right about that -- but I think it takes longer to integrate a big-minute defenseman into a team than a scoring winger.

Put another way: If the Sabres were less pathetic than they actually are, and the rest of the season still meant something, and you had to choose either Myers or Vanek to miss the rest of the season, who would you choose? I would rather subtract Vanek than Myers.

More to the point, I said Myers is better than Vanek in the context of who I would rather trade in exchange for Nash. I would rather trade Vanek than Myers, and I suspect (as you pointed out), that CBJ would rather have Myers too.

Myers value is in potential, not actual value at this moment. Right now Myers isn't even the Sabres best blueliner let alone it's best player. Right now Myers' production and talent is nowhere near the level of Vanek's. Myer's is nowhere near the impact player Vanek is. Most of Myer's reputation was built on his rookie year. He has steadily disappointed since then. I know this was said before, not sure by who, switch Myers' first season with his second or third season and fans would be looking at him in a different light.

Pretty sure Miller was the centerpiece.

Miller, at this point, is not a centerpiece.

Yeah not even possible to get Nash if the sabres are even serious about rebuilding first we would have to take on his 7.8 mil salary and give up one of our better players vanek or myers they are not going to want garbage inconsistent players like Roy or Stafford let's get real. So even if he wanted to come here we would end up giving up a solid player for him and taking on a big cap to handicap us even more in the off season for rebuilding ...

And there not going g to trade miller. And who would want to take on millers high cap for a inconsistent Goalie with ###### numbers. He hasn't been good since before the Olympics. Lets get real

Yeah not even possible to get Nash if the sabres are even serious about rebuilding first we would have to take on his 7.8 mil salary and give up one of our better players vanek or myers they are not going to want garbage inconsistent players like Roy or Stafford let's get real. So even if he wanted to come here we would end up giving up a solid player for him and taking on a big cap to handicap us even more in the off season for rebuilding ... And there not going g to trade miller. And who would want to take on millers high cap for a inconsistent Goalie with ###### numbers. He hasn't been good since before the Olympics. Lets get real

This is a rumor thread, by definition no reality necessary.

I'm not sure Nash is elite, he's great, but elite? I think, in general with sports, people throw around "elite" too easily. Nash is great, but not elite. He's had 1 season of 70+ points. This year he's 22nd in scoring among right wingers, 69th among all forwards. Teammates be damned, if he's as good as some believe, he'd have better production over his career. Maybe he has elite talent, but he's not an elite player. I'm going to steal some points from Neil Greenberg I read on twitter this morning. A forward's prime is mid-20s, think 22-27. 28+ they typically decline in production, or at least fail to reach career peaks. Since the lockout, the ONLY player to average 20 goals and 60 points from age 28-33 is Jerome Iginla. Committing to $7.8 million per year for 6 years for a guy who could significantly decline in the next year or two (he'll be 28 after this season ends) while giving up prime assets, to me, is not a smart hockey decision unless you're right on the cusp of winning this year or next.

And I still say that trading away our best assets for somebody like Nash, or Getlzaf or "insert big name player here entering their late 20s" and "blowing it up" are mutually exclusive ideas. Either we go out and go big for a big name player with a couple prime years left, or we blow it up and build around guys like Myers, Kassian, McNabb, etc.

Miller, at this point, is not a centerpiece.

To the right GM he probably is. Chicago?

Why not Roy and Stafford for Nash? Same cash.

If you make this deal as the GM in Columbus it's the last deal you make because you're fired. You dont have to move him at the deadline and he has to agree to the team he is going to. Just because HE requested a trade you could still do it in the off season no?

And I still say that trading away our best assets for somebody like Nash, or Getlzaf or "insert big name player here entering their late 20s" and "blowing it up" are mutually exclusive ideas. Either we go out and go big for a big name player with a couple prime years left, or we blow it up and build around guys like Myers, Kassian, McNabb, etc.

I like the thought of building around a new core of Myers, McNabb, Kassian etc.

However, I would let Myers go for Getzlaf or Nash. I would send Miller + to Chicago for Kane. And Kassian at one point I wouldn't include him in any deal. Now after seeing the softer side of him, If he needed to be included in a deal that got me a proven superstar well, bye bye big boy.

My preference is to build around the guys you mention and get just get rid of deadweight. Staff Roy etc. I dont care either way as long we do something!

I'm not sure Nash is elite, he's great, but elite? I think, in general with sports, people throw around "elite" too easily. Nash is great, but not elite. He's had 1 season of 70+ points. This year he's 22nd in scoring among right wingers, 69th among all forwards. Teammates be damned, if he's as good as some believe, he'd have better production over his career. Maybe he has elite talent, but he's not an elite player. I'm going to steal some points from Neil Greenberg I read on twitter this morning. A forward's prime is mid-20s, think 22-27. 28+ they typically decline in production, or at least fail to reach career peaks. Since the lockout, the ONLY player to average 20 goals and 60 points from age 28-33 is Jerome Iginla. Committing to $7.8 million per year for 6 years for a guy who could significantly decline in the next year or two (he'll be 28 after this season ends) while giving up prime assets, to me, is not a smart hockey decision unless you're right on the cusp of winning this year or next.

I've watched Nash play live many times over the past 3 years and it is very easy to see how dominant he is when he is out there. Columbus has absolutely no transition game (again, probably easier to see when you watch them live), horrible defensemen and centers who can't get the puck to Nash. Normally, I'd say the numbers are what they are, but in this case I think Columbus is so ridiculously bad, and has been for such a long period of time, that it is hard to decipher what kind of numbers Nash might put up on a good team. Now, whether he'll decline beyond age 28 is a whole other story... either way, I agree that the last thing the Sabres need is another monster contract.

Why not Roy and Stafford for Nash? Same cash.

I would throw Roy, Stafford and Kassian at Columbus and they would STILL never make that deal. If Myers, McNabb, dradt picks or Miller aren't involved, it's a pipedream.

Chicago looks like they could be a great trade partner with that team sliding the way it is now. What each team would want is tough to say but I would think conversations are coming in from all angles.....

I am at work right now and Better Days just came on. It reminds me of the good ol days of the 06-07 and 07-08 year... I want that feeling back, It gives me cold chills just sitting here listening. Please TP bring the old sabres back. I want Nash, Getzlaf, Parise or anyone who can be a game changer.

I've watched Nash play live many times over the past 3 years and it is very easy to see how dominant he is when he is out there. Columbus has absolutely no transition game (again, probably easier to see when you watch them live), horrible defensemen and centers who can't get the puck to Nash. Normally, I'd say the numbers are what they are, but in this case I think Columbus is so ridiculously bad, and has been for such a long period of time, that it is hard to decipher what kind of numbers Nash might put up on a good team. Now, whether he'll decline beyond age 28 is a whole other story... either way, I agree that the last thing the Sabres need is another monster contract.

I haven't watched him beyond Sabres games, so all I really have to go by are the stats. However if you've seen him live enough to have the opinion he can be dominant, I'll defer to that. I still want nothing to do with his contract. If I'm the Rangers, I sell my top 3 prospects and a rostered player yesterday for Nash, since the one thing standing between them and being a prohibitive Cup favorite is consistent scoring (although they need a LW way more than a RW, so Parise would be a better fit). But the Sabres? I'm not necessarily of the opinion that the Sabres only option is to blow it up, but, I'm also not willing to mortgage the future with a bet that a 14th place team is 1 elite player away from being a legit Cup contender, especially if that 1 player is yet another winger.

I am at work right now and Better Days just came on. It reminds me of the good ol days of the 06-07 and 07-08 year... I want that feeling back, It gives me cold chills just sitting here listening. Please TP bring the old sabres back. I want Nash, Getzlaf, Parise or anyone who can be a game changer.

Any coincidence that things have been getting slowly worse since the "better days" playoffs?

Archived