2012 Trade RUMOR Thread. (Keep the deadline thread for substantiated stuff).

Eleven

Why don't u stick to ur job and we'll stick to ours.

Because I'm 100% allowed to be critical of what the mods do, if you really want to pick a fight over it.

Oh like your posts have anything in them but your thoughts. (right hand for that)...

Glad to know you've been reading my posts.

Ok - Friend at ESPN... and I believe him...

Knock, Knock - There's no centers there with interest.

Knock, Knock - It's Darcy Regier! (sorry no one want's to answer the door)

Knock, Knock - You wish! No one is knocking guys. Nothing anyone wants from us.

Scenarios? None. Because we need centers, offensive and there's none willing and as it's been told - none any better than what we have.

Take a step back? for what reason?

Inevitable Truth: (sorry)

Hope for a good draft position, trade for that - then wait 1-2 years for him to develop.

Someone is obtained after the season.

Quit hoping. Just = Bomb the season and sell everything for Alexander Galchenyuk!

Deal with it.

I'll hit the substance, why not?

Of course there is no game-changing center* for the Sabres at the deadline. The concept would be to dump players now for picks/other players with the aim of picking up centers in free agency or through trade during the off-season.

No one realistically thinks that Roy & Stafford are going out west for Getz. It's more like Staff for a pick and Roy for a player. And Boyes for a pick, and maybe Goose for a pick/prospect (and he could be re-signed in July), and all of the sudden, there's cap space for a signing or trade over the summer.

*EDIT: For Limey, this includes centres. (For Canadians, dammit, you live in North America, so spell like it.)

I'll hit the substance, why not?

Of course there is no game-changing center* for the Sabres at the deadline. The concept would be to dump players now for picks/other players with the aim of picking up centers in free agency or through trade during the off-season.

No one realistically thinks that Roy & Stafford are going out west for Getz. It's more like Staff for a pick and Roy for a player. And Boyes for a pick, and maybe Goose for a pick/prospect (and he could be re-signed in July), and all of the sudden, there's cap space for a signing or trade over the summer.

*EDIT: For Limey, this includes centres. (For Canadians, dammit, you live in North America, so spell like it.)

Serious question. Do you really think there is a trade to be had for a #1 center? I suppose there could be a surprise team out there that pulls a Philly this offseason and moves their #1 or #2 but my crystal ball isn't picking it up. Maybe it is my usual cynicism taking hold but I don't have the confidence I had last season that there is a center out there that will be on the market that fits most folks definition of a #1.

Serious question. Do you really think there is a trade to be had for a #1 center? I suppose there could be a surprise team out there that pulls a Philly this offseason and moves their #1 or #2 but my crystal ball isn't picking it up. Maybe it is my usual cynicism taking hold but I don't have the confidence I had last season that there is a center out there that will be on the market that fits most folks definition of a #1.

During the season and for the Sabres? No, I do not. I think it would take giving up one of the players that most of us don't want to give up at this point during the season. I think the summer--trade or FA--is the better time to pick up a center. Other teams will want to make changes then, too; remember that out of all of those "good" teams out there, only one will win a Cup. Some of them will want to shed salary. Others will want to rebuild. But now? No "seller" wants to buy what the Sabres have to offer / should offer--at least not for a #1 C.

During the season and for the Sabres? No, I do not. I think it would take giving up one of the players that most of us don't want to give up at this point during the season. I think the summer--trade or FA--is the better time to pick up a center. Other teams will want to make changes then, too; remember that out of all of those "good" teams out there, only one will win a Cup. Some of them will want to shed salary. Others will want to rebuild. But now? No "seller" wants to buy what the Sabres have to offer / should offer--at least not for a #1 C.

don't look to FA if your goal is a #1 center. Grabovski and Stoll is about as good as it gets.

don't look to FA if your goal is a #1 center. Grabovski and Stoll is about as good as it gets.

How about the offseason trade? Again, there will be teams looking to restructure and/or shed salary. (I'd put it at 50/50 that Ovie will be on offer, for example (I know he is LW), but I'm not sure I'd want him here. Let Montreal make that mistake...AGAIN.)

I just don't see it happening this month. If it does, I will be nothing short of ecstatic.

Ok - Friend at ESPN... and I believe him...

Knock, Knock - There's no centers there with interest.

Knock, Knock - It's Darcy Regier! (sorry no one want's to answer the door)

Knock, Knock - You wish! No one is knocking guys. Nothing anyone wants from us.

Scenarios? None. Because we need centers, offensive and there's none willing and as it's been told - none any better than what we have.

Take a step back? for what reason?

Inevitable Truth: (sorry)

Hope for a good draft position, trade for that - then wait 1-2 years for him to develop.

Someone is obtained after the season.

Quit hoping. Just = Bomb the season and sell everything for Alexander Galchenyuk!

Deal with it.

Can you explain this with full sentences? Seriously. I'd like to understand what you just posted.

Amen. Do you mean you have a friend at ESPN or that Tom Friend, who writes for ESPN.com, wrote this? Can we get a link or clarification?

How about the offseason trade? Again, there will be teams looking to restructure and/or shed salary. (I'd put it at 50/50 that Ovie will be on offer, for example (I know he is LW), but I'm not sure I'd want him here. Let Montreal make that mistake...AGAIN.)

I just don't see it happening this month. If it does, I will be nothing short of ecstatic.

Yeah, like I said, it may be the cynic in me bubbling to the surface but I don't see a #1 center via trade in the offseason either. There are too few teams that can afford to move one, and Philly type offseasons are few and far between. I could be wrong. Obviously I'm not in on the GM phone calls so I have nothing to go by other than I don't see an obvious candidate out there. But I am not terribly hopeful that a #1 center shows up via trade, either now or in the offseason. I won't bet on it, but I won't bet against it either.

Yeah, like I said, it may be the cynic in me bubbling to the surface but I don't see a #1 center via trade in the offseason either. There are too few teams that can afford to move one, and Philly type offseasons are few and far between. I could be wrong. Obviously I'm not in on the GM phone calls so I have nothing to go by other than I don't see an obvious candidate out there. But I am not terribly hopeful that a #1 center shows up via trade, either now or in the offseason. I won't bet on it, but I won't bet against it either.

That is entirely up to the Sabres. A quality #1 center can be had if the Sabres are committed to acquiring a #1 center and are willing to pay the price. The Sabres will have to truly believe that can not go forward without a true #1 center and be willing to part with what ever it takes. If they are not 100% committed , it will show in the results.

That is entirely up to the Sabres. A quality #1 center can be had if the Sabres are committed to acquiring a #1 center and are willing to pay the price. The Sabres will have to truly believe that can not go forward without a true #1 center and be willing to part with what ever it takes. If they are not 100% committed , it will show in the results.

Most fans probably won't like "what it takes" either, just sayin...

Most fans probably won't like "what it takes" either, just sayin...

Quiet, you. We're setting up for "well, the Sabres didn't trade all four of Miller, Vanek, Ennis, and Regehr for Richards, so clearly, leadership is a failure" right now. No need for realism in the storm cloud or whatever it is.

If the team is going to acquire a #1 center, it's going to cost us Myers. That's about as clear cut as I can make it. It's not happening through free agency, and it's not happening in a Roy/Stafford/picks/etc package. Why would a team settle for anything less than Myers? As another poster stated, it's not like teams are actively trying to get rid of #1 centers... the Philly situation of last year was a once-in-a-decade occurrence, and was different in the fact that they were a.) trying to move Carter, whose name doesn't even really come to mind when we're talking about #1 centers, because of his horrible contract, and b.) several reports indicated that Richards wasn't well liked in the locker room. Also consider that both of those deals were eased by their already remarkable offensive depth, the signing of Jagr, and the king's ransom (pun intended) they received for both of these players. Not many other teams are that fortunate to have the pieces where they can just move their #1 and 2 centers without really skipping a beat...

So, in short, yes, the draft is really the only route to take to get a center if you don't want to trade Myers... and even if you do offer up Myers, there will likely be more to the deal than that, too. Personally I'd be okay with a Myers trade, but we'll see where we finish out this season.

The NHL tends to be a copt-cat league. If say boston wins the cup again. You could say the road to the cup includes a great goalie, a very solid d, and a size and skill up front. What Boston leaves out of the equation is that great #1 center the Sabres need. Bergeron is a very complete nice player, but where would he rank among the league top center icemen.

San Jose hasn't won Jack. If they were to reconsider their strategy and move more toward the Boston model, there maybe a couple good centers available this summer.

Any team that is a "buyer" is not going to trade away one of their top two centers. The only way you get a center this year is to try to grab one from a seller. A high draft pick does not guarantee anything, even if it is in the top two or three.

The best bet for the Sabres to get a #1 center is to go after prospects and high draft picks from other teams. With these assets they can target a team looking to rebuild or refocus their strategy. Dump the current players off for picks. Do we really want Darcy bringing in bodies? With picks and prospects the next GM (and yes that is a big assumption) will have commodities and not large contracts to deal with.

Quiet, you. We're setting up for "well, the Sabres didn't trade all four of Miller, Vanek, Ennis, and Regehr for Richards, so clearly, leadership is a failure" right now. No need for realism in the storm cloud or whatever it is.

You can't make significant changes without being completely committed to it. If they bail again this off-season and end up with another Leino it will be because they weren't committed or willing to pay the price for the quality player needed.

Darcy, Ted and Terry are definitly waiting until tonights game to make a trade. A win will obviously change their minds when it comes to the trade deadline, even though it shouldnt. I wonder who will really be gone by the deadline, because we all sure as heck know that Roy, Goose, Boyes, Staff and leo all wont be dealt. If we win tonight, then what would you guys do???

Darcy, Ted and Terry are definitly waiting until tonights game to make a trade. A win will obviously change their minds when it comes to the trade deadline, even though it shouldnt. I wonder who will really be gone by the deadline, because we all sure as heck know that Roy, Goose, Boyes, Staff and leo all wont be dealt. If we win tonight, then what would you guys do???

If it's me, it depends on HOW we win--who contributes, who doesn't, who gives up the puck in the offensive zone, who can't clear our zone ... if it's a squeaker and the only goal scorers are Pomminstein, vanek and ennis, i say ship whoever to wherever for whomever makes this team better.

Well bolts captain vinny lecavilier is out for an undisclosed amount of time. They have plenty of draft picks, maybe grab Roy if vinny is out for a while?

to what end? TB has no intentions of making the playoffs, hence the reason they are selling. So unless they plan to make roy their 2nd line center, this move would make 0 sense to a team that is officially in sell mode.

Archived