GDT: Bruins at Sabres 2/8/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

I'll mention something that absolutely does need to stop. Was it Seidenberg that "adjusted" Gerbe's visor after the whistle? That ###### with everyone trying to humiliate Gerbe all the time needs to stop. I'd like to see unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for them. Although I'd prefer that Gerbe start taking things into his own hands, either ala Donald Audette and learn to use a discretionary butt end to these nitwits, or he needs to start dropping the gloves with the Marchands of the league (smaller rat-types) so that he sends the message that he won't tolerate the crap.

I don't disagree that this stuff is obnoxious, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Gerbe dish out some payback. However, from a Sabres fan's perspective, I think that stuff keeps Gerbe's fire burning, so I'm not unhappy that it happens.

]

And I don't think any of it needed to be reviewed.

I'll mention something that absolutely does need to stop. Was it Seidenberg that "adjusted" Gerbe's visor after the whistle? That ###### with everyone trying to humiliate Gerbe all the time needs to stop. I'd like to see unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for them. Although I'd prefer that Gerbe start taking things into his own hands, either ala Donald Audette and learn to use a discretionary butt end to these nitwits, or he needs to start dropping the gloves with the Marchands of the league (smaller rat-types) so that he sends the message that he won't tolerate the crap.

And if you're talking about the one I think you are, the linesman then put his hand on top of Gerbe's head too.

Screw that. A guy like Lucic or Hartnell is utterly impossible to root for. How could anyone possibly want a bitchmade guy like that on our team?

You put Lucic and Hartnell on this Sabres team, you'll have an instant contender. The space that would open up for Vanek, Pominville and Ennis would be cavernous. I'm hoping Kassian and Foligno can be those guys, but I'm not sure Kassian has the desire or if Foligno has the ability. This is why everyone is at half mast for those guys. Instant contenders.

I don't disagree that this stuff is obnoxious, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Gerbe dish out some payback. However, from a Sabres fan's perspective, I think that stuff keeps Gerbe's

fire burning, so I'm not unhappy that it happens.

Word. Until someone cups their hand around the back of Nathans head and simulates a certain type of activity, I can't see a penalty being called.

You put Lucic and Hartnell on this Sabres team, you'll have an instant contender. The space that would open up for Vanek, Pominville and Ennis would be cavernous. I'm hoping Kassian and Foligno can be those guys, but I'm not sure Kassian has the desire or if Foligno has the ability. This is why everyone is at half mast for those guys. Instant contenders.

As impossible as it seems to root for Lucic you are completely right6. If he somehow became a Sabre and continous what he's been doing he would be an instant fan favorite, and yeah, the Sabres would be a whole lot better.

I think about the only guy I just would not be able to stomach seeing in a Sabres uniform would be Chris Pronger ...

Pretty much. It's worthy of consideration, in my opinion, that they played an inspired game when Ruff was not behind the bench. I can't see how it's not. Among all of the other circumstances the team has faced this season, like injuries, slumps, the Lucic Hit©, this is one circumstance that we simply haven't seen with this line-up; and the results ARE compelling.

But that's about as far as it can reasonably go. I would need to see a much longer period than one game to come to any real conclusions other than blatant speculation, but we probably won't get that opportunity. If Jeep is calling the shots on the bench a few more games, and the inspired play continues, only to drop off when Ruff returns, then I think it'd be extremely foolish not to consider it a possibility that Ruff drags the team down.

And that is all it is.

I have not settled on a position for Ruff; some times I would like to see him coach this team to a Cup, some times I think he can't coach this team to a Cup. A storybook narrative would be awesome - former Sabres captain, turned Sabres coach, an adopted home-town boy whose family now has deep roots in the area, suffers a tumultuous Sabres history only to end up bringing Buffalo its first Stanley Cup. But, but...do I want to sacrifice a Cup here in my lifetime to include Ruff at the end of that narrative? I don't think so, and that's a shame.

But that's about all I have ever said about Ruff, if you were to consolidate and summarize my comments on him over the past few seasons.

This business about quantifying Jeep's skill as a coach versus Ruff is a straw-man created by those who don't want others to even consider it. I did not, nor deluca or dark, say Jeep is superior - that language was introduce by Blue, I believe, in his attempt to knock down the possibility there was SOME influence (assuming Blue is a he - sorry if you're not). There were several exaggerations of the original point by those opposed to it. The point stands and for as many arguments as one can bring against it, I can (and others, I'm sure) argue for it being valid to some degree.

To the first bolded point, I disagree that the results are compelling. The team was 3-0-1 the 4 games prior to last night (with Ruff behind the bench), played the same way the Boston game immediately following the Lucic incident (with Ruff behind the bench). If this were mid-December against a random team (say Minnesota), and continued for a 5-10 game stretch, that to me would qualify as compelling regarding Patrick v. Ruff.

To the second bolded point, I wholeheartedly agree. If the team continues to play well, but falls off the proverbial cliff when Ruff returns, THAT says something (and a lot of something).

To the entire bolded paragraph, once again, I completely agree. What I am absolutely sure of, however, is that no coach on the planet could win a Cup with this roster as currently constructed.

DeLuca clearly meant it with comments such as "Patrick has this team firing on all cylinders" "Patrick loves toughness" "Julien has no answers for Patrick's quick decision making and adjustments" "Now we at least have a partial answer to the question of who we hire if we fire Ruff" and so on. Given his history of Ruff bashing, I think the implications of his comments were pretty clear.

I wasn't building a straw-man to knock down the idea that the team would be better without Ruff. My entire point was that last night's game proves nothing, one way or the other. To me, using it to say the team plays harder for Patrick would be equivalent to saying it shows the Sabres are a far superior team than Boston. It's crazy talk. Patrick accounted for himself very well last night, the line changes were smooth and he certainly looked the part of a head coach, and whatever neutral zone adjustment he made that Miller references certainly speaks well to his performance. None of what I'm saying or have said is meant to break down Patrick or glorify Ruff as a coaching god. All I'm saying is using 1 game, particularly a game with a LOT of extenuating circumstances, to mean anything other than it was a great team effort, is nonsense. Of course it's possible it's time for Ruff to move on, or the players really like Patrick....but last night's game by itself in a vacuum cannot possibly be used to justify those positions, no more so than it can be used to justify the opinion that the Sabres are truly an elite team and injuries were the only problem.

weave, on 09 February 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

And if you're talking about the one I think you are, the linesman then put his hand on top of Gerbe's head too.
That's the one.

Mainly because it was the only part of Gerbe he could reach.

i appreciate the frustration on behalf of gerbe, but i am confident that that stuff only serves to fuel his competitive spirit.

as for the linseman, i saw him fix gerbe's visor (as a courtesy); i also got the sense that he was telling the boston d-man to knock it off (which, i know, infantilizes nathan somewhat).

p.s. do we still have the member don't pat the gerbe?

My entire point was that last night's game proves nothing, one way or the other. To me, using it to say the team plays harder for Patrick would be equivalent to saying it shows the Sabres are a far superior team than Boston. It's crazy talk.

well stated.

To me the only possible difference with Ruff upstairs and Jeep behind the bench was the players may have been just a bit looser without Lindy behind them. They know Lindy can have a short leash at times and a screw up or two can result in decreased ice time. It is possible that they felt a bit less pressure with Jeep back there. Who knows...

I think in the short term (as another poster pointed out), some good can come from the coach getting a press box perspective of the game. Maybe he'll see some things up there that are harder to see at ice level.

If you want to turn around and say that last nights game shows some compelling evidence that the team played harder for Patrick, then you can also same the team plays better without Vanek, or that the Sabres are a better team then the Bruins with roy and Stafford in the lineup

Also, did anyone else see Ruff in the press box, and what appeared to be a mic and earpiece to talk to the coaches?

To me the only possible difference with Ruff upstairs and Jeep behind the bench was the players may have been just a bit looser without Lindy behind them. They know Lindy can have a short leash at times and a screw up or two can result in decreased ice time. It is possible that they felt a bit less pressure with Jeep back there. Who knows...

I think in the short term (as another poster pointed out), some good can come from the coach getting a press box perspective of the game. Maybe he'll see some things up there that are harder to see at ice level.

This result more than anything is what I'm curious about. Is it against league policy for the head coach/another coach to sit in the press box? Is this a system the Sabres could implement, a coach up high communicating with the coaches on the bench?

If we want Lindy Ruff to be a factor in the equation, maybe this is the next logical step.

This result more than anything is what I'm curious about. Is it against league policy for the head coach/another coach to sit in the press box? Is this a system the Sabres could implement, a coach up high communicating with the coaches on the bench?

If we want Lindy Ruff to be a factor in the equation, maybe this is the next logical step.

I know other coaches are allowed up there (see: Teppo), but I'm unsure if there's a policy for head coaches. There's certainly no precedent that I'm aware of.

I know other coaches are allowed up there (see: Teppo), but I'm unsure if there's a policy for head coaches. There's certainly no precedent that I'm aware of.

I just wonder if that perspective will do Lindy some good like it did for Ennis? Maybe this rib injury was a blessing in disguise?

If "Lindy Ruff" ain't goin nowhere, maybe he doesn't have to. Fire him as head coach and make a new position for him as an advisory coach. He gets to keep his job with the org, stay in Buffalo, and maintain involvement in the coaching staff. We get the new look behind the bench that many of us, myself included, have decided we want to see, but without the "Lindy will go win a Cup somewhere else" argument.

Can I have my cake and eat it too?

I just wonder if that perspective will do Lindy some good like it did for Ennis? Maybe this rib injury was a blessing in disguise?

If "Lindy Ruff" ain't goin nowhere, maybe he doesn't have to. Fire him as head coach and make a new position for him as an advisory coach. He gets to keep his job with the org, stay in Buffalo, and maintain involvement in the coaching staff. We get the new look behind the bench that many of us, myself included, have decided we want to see, but without the "Lindy will go win a Cup somewhere else" argument.

Can I have my cake and eat it too?

Probably not :P . My guess is that if Lindy gets fired as coach, or steps down to take another organizational position, it would be for GM. I doubt he'd be an eye in the sky for his replacement if he could be head coaching elsewhere.

edit: I should add, that maybe some time viewing the game from above will give him a perspective he didn't have before on some things. I certainly don't think viewing the game from upstairs is going to do any harm.

Probably not :P . My guess is that if Lindy gets fired as coach, or steps down to take another organizational position, it would be for GM. I doubt he'd be an eye in the sky for his replacement if he could be head coaching elsewhere.

You never know. The appeal of staying in the organization and not having to uproot his family is always a factor. Familiarity can be a nice thing, and if it helps win a Stanley Cup, then why not?

Of course, for it to even be considered, Lindy would probably have to come forward and propose the idea himself. "Hey, I liked this. We should make it a regular thing."

Those guys were in that mold?

I'm a relatively new hockey fan so I'm kind of learning about the history of the league (and the Sabres) on the fly.

I know I bring basketball up as my point of reference and experience but I could never root for a, say, Bruce Bowen, even if he was on my team.

Those guys were in that mold?

I'm a relatively new hockey fan so I'm kind of learning about the history of the league (and the Sabres) on the fly.

I know I bring basketball up as my point of reference and experience but I could never root for a, say, Bruce Bowen, even if he was on my team.

Yeah but Bruce Bowen is from fresno....

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?!?

We stay out of last place for at least one more game...

Nice to see a shutout with 6 goals scored, but I worry they just used up a week's worth of goals...

Keep it going please....

I'm learning that thing about my life not riding on it. But serious, the outcome will not bother you either way?!

A loss will not bother me. A win will make me happy. Apparently being at the game and yelling as I did a win will also make me lose my voice.

So, I want my team to hit someone, when we know they won't, and you want them to score, when we know they can't. Got it.

At least in my scenerio, Thomas would have been hit.

Apparently things can be different.

I'm going to believe that the disallowed goal was a result of the Lucic hit and perhaps a heightened awareness against the Bruins getting near Miller.

I got to go to one game this year (so far) and I can't complain at all about it. It was.. awesome, pure and simple.

We stay out of last place for at least one more game...

Nice to see a shutout with 6 goals scored, but I worry they just used up a week's worth of goals...

Keep it going please....

Also, it seems I was quite a bit off on my amount of games that it will take for the Sabres to match the goal total from the ASG. With this little offensive outburst they are well on pace to beat the 21 goals in less than my 11 game pace (right now its at 13 goals in 4 games)

Also, it seems I was quite a bit off on my amount of games that it will take for the Sabres to match the goal total from the ASG. With this little offensive outburst they are well on pace to beat the 21 goals in less than my 11 game pace (right now its at 13 goals in 4 games)

Well on pace, but that don't mean nothin'.

Was at game, and go to most. Three things stood out. 1) Easily the best game of the year as has been said numerous times here and everywhere. 2)We looked like a desperate team while the Bruins looked like one that knows they are playing in April. 3) My buddy laughing during the National Anthems. I sit opposite the player benches. When I asked him why, he said "look at the benches" The size discrepency was just so obvious. We looked like a peewee team and they looked like college kids. Really! Great game and I enjoyed their heart, but playing these guys every other night for possibly seven games when it matters? It would still be ugly. And having to play 4 series to win a cup. We HAVE to get bigger.

Excellent post inkman...you know the game

Archived